The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

This is what you originally wrote

Hold on a minute... Arsenal beating us next week would not in any way shape or form make anything dismal. Arsenal beating us would be just about par for the course. They're expected to beat us, and any other result would be a major upset. Losing to them is NOT going to make the season any worse, unless they absolutely destroy us

Seems like a defeatist attitude to me. As for the non Villa supporting world of course they see Arsenal as favourites but I don't they'd be especially shocked if we were to beat them.

I genuinely think you see other people's posts and make up wild subtexts and meanings that aren't there. Nothing I said is defeatist. Losing to them isn't the difference between a dismal season and a good one. Losing to them is par, based on the fact that if we play them 20 times, they'll beat us around 15. Not because I'm defeatist, but because they're a better team. We aren't playing best of 20 though, we're playing a once off game.

If he doesn't rate Guzan, Cissokho and Gil, he's going to do very well to improve on them considering they cost £5m between them.

There's probably a reason the 3 of them cost £5m total.

• Like 1

True - The bloke kept us up.

Shoddy treatment of Brad.

But he has subsequently shown that season was a one-off. He hasn't surpassed mediocrity for a good while. He can certainly be upgraded on, whether his replacement will be an improvement is another matter. I can't say that I'm liking the links to that 26 year old from Brentford.

This is what you originally wrote

Hold on a minute... Arsenal beating us next week would not in any way shape or form make anything dismal. Arsenal beating us would be just about par for the course. They're expected to beat us, and any other result would be a major upset. Losing to them is NOT going to make the season any worse, unless they absolutely destroy us

Seems like a defeatist attitude to me. As for the non Villa supporting world of course they see Arsenal as favourites but I don't they'd be especially shocked if we were to beat them.

I genuinely think you see other people's posts and make up wild subtexts and meanings that aren't there. Nothing I said is defeatist. Losing to them isn't the difference between a dismal season and a good one. Losing to them is par, based on the fact that if we play them 20 times, they'll beat us around 15. Not because I'm defeatist, but because they're a better team. We aren't playing best of 20 though, we're playing a once off game.

I'm not the one who partially quotes a post taking it completely out of context. And I don't think my calling your attitude defeatist based on the post quoted is making up wild subtexts at all. So just because Arsenal are favourites it doesn't matter if we lose? Of course it does. And once again us beating them wouldn't be a 'major upset', we're not some League One club playing the Champions.

But he has subsequently shown that season was a one-off. He hasn't surpassed mediocrity for a good while. He can certainly be upgraded on, whether his replacement will be an improvement is another matter. I can't say that I'm liking the links to that 26 year old from Brentford.

Absolute tripe. He's a far from mediocre keeper ffs. 

Look guys, a lot of the worries about Sherwood come from fear of the unknown. People are concerned precisely because there's nothing to say what Sherwood'll be like in the transfer market - he could be absolutely awful, he could great or more likely he'll be in the middle of that somewhere. 

Given all the crap we've had served up to us over the last few years, surely you can forgive people for being several times bitten, even more times shy? 

Absolute tripe. He's a far from mediocre keeper ffs. 

Well, it depends what the distribution is, but if we're comparing to starting Premier League goalkeepers I think 'mediocre', as in somewhere in the middle of the pack, is a very fair description. There are clearly some goalies he's better than, like Green, Foster and Speroni. There's a(n IMO longer) similar list of goalies he's not as good as. So somewhere in the middle. 

This summer could be the acid test. If Sherwood doesn't want him, and does make moves for a starting goalkeeper, I'd expect Guzan to want to leave, for his international starting place if nothing else. If he's obviously available, and people who aren't wearing claret-and-blue spectacles think he's as good as the majority of people on this site, then he'll have suitors from the top end of the table. I predict that won't happen, but we'll see I guess. 

Premier league goalies I'd rather have than Guzan:

De Gea

Courtois
Cech

Lloris

Hart

None of whom are remotely close to gettable. 

I don't think we'd be able to get someone in who's noticeably better than Guzan and wouldn't cost us at least ten mil - so I just can't see how it's worth the hassle. We've got a good enough keeper at the moment and surely the money could be better spent in other areas? I.E. Two good fullbacks who can do the job Sherwood wants them to do.

Well, I suppose we'd be looking abroad. Liverpool paid £15m for Mignolet two seasons ago, so that's probably a starting price for a Premier League goalkeeper these days, and I agree that we shouldn't be spending that much. I would also suspect that part of the cost would be defrayed by Guzan's sale. As I said, I don't think he'd want to be a back-up. 

I agree that two good fullbacks are also an important purchase this season - one it's important to get right, because we need to stop buying them - as well as a striker, so in reality it probably depends how much is in the kitty, and whether that amount increases massively as a result of Benteke leaving. 

Getting rid of Guzan would be mental. 

Assuming we have a limited transfer budget, spending it on a replacement keeper when we have a perfectly good one for where we are in guzan would be crazy.

Would it be mental? Guzan is good but he isnt irreplaceable like Benteke. Maybe Guzan peaked 2 seasons ago and wont reach that level again

Sign of a good manager is knowing the right time to replace your players, Ferguson was a master at it

Yes, it would be mental.  He's by no means the weak link in our first team.  In fact, our recent defensive issues seem to include a LOT of set pieces.  Whilst Guzan has made mistakes recently, he's also one of the best in the league for coming and claiming crosses.  There's at least 6 first team positions that I'd improve before looking at offing Guzan.

(For what it's worth, Ferguson also had a torrid time with goalkeepers.)

• Like 1

We need 40m+ to improve.

Depends who we let go surely? If we let Tekkers go we need to spend twice that :)

My thoughts were 40m with him staying.  :thumb:

We don't need £40m to improve - we could improve with £10m spent well.  However, we would need to spend £40m to push top half of the table.

I'm actually pretty nervous about Timmy S in the transfer window.

I just sold Tekkers to Dortmund on FM for £32.5m as he wanted to move and had a minimum release clause following the new contract I got him to sign at the start of the game.

Prophet.

Â