The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

We need a commanding goal keeper and centre half....just for starters.

I don' t see Guzan as in the same camp as Bosnich, Rimmer or Spink.

I am not anti Guzan, but think we need to start upping the ante.

• Like 1

With what money? They don't come cheap and if past seasons have anything to go by we have very little to spend and probably less so now. The only way I can see that happening and it's not even a guarantee it would happen (that we would have more to spend) was if the club had a takeover but that seems far away as things stand.

Brian Clough' s first move was Peter Shilton and he always said was his best move.

Jose Mourinho puts big store in to his keepers.

Why do we think we are any different

First move IMO

Not exactly Clough's first move as he took over Forest during our promotion campaign in 74/5 and Shilton was signed in 77

Meant first move of any significance

Close though hey.....I think you know where I am coming from.....even if you don' t agree.

Yes I do agree and think the priority should be goalkeeper and defence. 

Guzan's always been unlucky he's been playing behind YTS defences for most of his team here. Scott Carson for example played behind a far superior defence in 07/08 and yet still conceded a shed load of goals.

I do think Guzan's standards have slipped last 6 months though. It's not just the obvious error v Man. City, it's stuff like a weak punch at the Hawthorns that leads to the West Brom winner and also in the Swansea game he kicked the ball against Gomis and got away with it which was a hint at the Aguero error.

Complacency you get from being a consecutive starter for 100 odd games with no huge competition apart from now. Sometimes you need a breather to refocus. I'm not a fan of him at all but Mingolet for example was taken out for a few weeks over xmas and then Liverpool put him back in.

I have no issue with a younger keeper being signed in the summer as Given is obviously not a viable long term back up option nowadays.

To say we havn't got the money for this player or that player.....doesn't stop us speculating as to what we need....and anyway with FFP who can bankroll us....even if that does work, ask LIverpool.

I could make a case for keeping every single first team player on an individual basis and it could all sound a feasible claim.

We have just finished 17 th and have flirted with relegation for many seasons.

Tim Sherwood is not a miracle worker he can't keep talking it up....it dries up.

We need players challenging for shirts and we need the right types....a few leaders.

Edited by TRO

I think we can improve in all aspects of the team. The only position we'd really struggle to do better is Benteke.

I'm more than willing to give Sherwood a chance given he's fulfilled his mission so far. I don't really mind what type of players he goes for. I suppose now is as good a time as any to completely overhaul the squad with wholesale changes. Provided we don't take too many unnecessary risks.

Edited by DamsonwoodVillan

He has signed a long contract, not one until the end of the season-He has publicly spoken about next season and beyond.

Where would he go from here? Newcastle?

I have a feeling that he is happy here. He certainly seems to have formed strong feelings for some of the players he works with.

Would it be mental? Guzan is good but he isnt irreplaceable like Benteke. Maybe Guzan peaked 2 seasons ago and wont reach that level again

Sign of a good manager is knowing the right time to replace your players, Ferguson was a master at it

I'm more concerned how we get rid of Given and his wages, almost near impossible which probably doesn't help Guzan's case. Replacing Guzan with a limited transfer budget just seems change for change sake to me, a transfer fee + wages which could be spent on other areas which drastically need improving.

• Like 1

I'm more concerned how we get rid of Given and his wages, almost near impossible which probably doesn't help Guzan's case. Replacing Guzan with a limited transfer budget just seems change for change sake to me, a transfer fee + wages which could be spent on other areas which drastically need improving.

This. But other stuff as well that just doesn't sit right for me (but i'm too tired to write a wall of text)

Still seems pointless to me. Most keepers would struggle playing with the defence we have currently; improving the defence is the solution not the keeper. I would probably be all for a change if the defence was strong but it's pretty weak which doesn't/wouldn't help any keeper.

Â