The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood needed to make decisions quickly, but dropping Bacuna was a mistake.

Putting faith in Gabby and Sanchez was a mistake.

but those mistakes must be doing something right in training, same with Benteke. 

either that or there just aren't any striking options so they get picked by default.

I think Lambert left as good as a good squat that could have been expected, given the money he had available. But it's still nowhere near good enough and I guess that's Lerner to blame.

I thought our squad was decent enough but I'm starting to think I was wrong. They barely looked like they'd ever played with each other today (or barely played football for that matter).

I think Gabby and Sanchez will be dropped for the next game

It's well known Stoke are our bogey team

We have played them what 14 times and only managed to beat them 3 times?

Edited by AshVilla

I think Lambert left as good as a good squat that could have been expected, given the money he had available. But it's still nowhere near good enough and I guess that's Lerner to blame.

I thought our squad was decent enough but I'm starting to think I was wrong. They barely looked like they'd ever played with each other today (or barely played football for that matter).

We've got one or two decent players on their day. But ultimately you get what you pay for. There's a reason we are where we are and teams near the top are where they are.

• Like 1

As I always said in the Lambert thread, changing managers makes no difference.

Our problem is the level of investment in the squad for the last few years. We have been spending less than even the promoted teams for a while now.   

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

Inexperienced manager makes rookie mistakes which leads to a woeful display from his team, bad starting line up, bad subs and bad tactics. He takes the blame for that.

What a surprise.
What's the surprise? I'm lost :(
I could have predicted a few names who would come and be extra critical of Sherwood straight after.
Ah right. I think it's fair enough to be critical of Sherwood and the players. It's not a "SHERWOOD OUT!" campaign :D

I actually think his starting line-up etc was fine. We were being more attacking. The Gil substitution was just wrong - well, in terms of bringing on Weimann. Should've been Westwood or someone who could hold the ball in midfield. For me, that's the only major thing that was wrong, but it was a sizeable error. Stoke completely dominated after that.

I think criticism is fine but like I said you could guess who'd come and put the boot in as soon as they could.
That's a bit rich isn't it?
Right because criticising Lambert after giving him time in his sizeable tenure is the clearly the same as immediately jumping on a new managers back?
I didn't say it was the same.

I have no problem with people who criticised Lambert. It was justified.

But someone who was always one of the first to stick the boot into Lambert moaning about some people being the first to stick the boot into Sherwood is a bit rich.

Personally I think it's too early to make any judgement. But he needs to get us winning soon.

We're in deep shit.

I'm sure you can tell the difference in situations between a manager who has been here for a a couple of years and one who just had his first week with the club.

As I said in the Lambert thread, changing managers makes no difference.

Our problem is the level of investment in the squad for the last few years.

It might not but it had to be tried.

We've got one or two decent players on their day. But ultimately you get what you pay for. There's a reason we are where we are and teams near the top are where they are.

what about the teams in the middle?

I think we did deserve to lose

I for one didn't think we deserve to lose. A draw was probably fair and that was exactly where it was heading. But somehow we still contrived to lose. Not for the first time. 

It's precisely for such reasons that I think we have a real chance of going down.

• Like 2

what about the teams in the middle?

Have they had to re-build an entire squad with hardly any money at all, I doubt it.

Puzzled why Sherwood couldn't get 100% out of all the players today on his first game. Apart from the tactics, they played like they were still playing for Lambert. Sanchez, Benteke, Vlaar, gabby, Weimann, Sissokho all poor today, maybe they are just poor.

This.

i'd say they are just poor.

I'm not sure where the notion that our squad shouldn't be where they are, shouldn't be fighting relegation, should be higher than where we are etc is coming from.

This squad has basically been fighting relegation for years and suddenly this season they shouldn't actually be doing so?

I think it's just some bullshit excuse concocted in order to pin the blame on Lambert so there is another reason to get him out.

Now I am not a Sherwood fan and not that happy with the appointment but please after one game we are writing him off.

Stoke are a tough side to play for many of the top teams but especially for a timid team like ours.

I reckon he has picked todays team on what he saw in training and after today he is going to be watching that bit more carefully.

We will see if he is the person he thinks he is over the next few weeks.  But he is going to need backing from us the fans to get through this difficult period.

Inexperienced manager makes rookie mistakes which leads to a woeful display from his team, bad starting line up, bad subs and bad tactics. He takes the blame for that.

What a surprise.
What's the surprise? I'm lost :(
I could have predicted a few names who would come and be extra critical of Sherwood straight after.
Ah right. I think it's fair enough to be critical of Sherwood and the players. It's not a "SHERWOOD OUT!" campaign :D

I actually think his starting line-up etc was fine. We were being more attacking. The Gil substitution was just wrong - well, in terms of bringing on Weimann. Should've been Westwood or someone who could hold the ball in midfield. For me, that's the only major thing that was wrong, but it was a sizeable error. Stoke completely dominated after that.

I think criticism is fine but like I said you could guess who'd come and put the boot in as soon as they could.
That's a bit rich isn't it?
Right because criticising Lambert after giving him time in his sizeable tenure is the clearly the same as immediately jumping on a new managers back?
I didn't say it was the same.

I have no problem with people who criticised Lambert. It was justified.

But someone who was always one of the first to stick the boot into Lambert moaning about some people being the first to stick the boot into Sherwood is a bit rich.

Personally I think it's too early to make any judgement. But he needs to get us winning soon.

We're in deep shit.

I'm sure you can tell the difference in situations between a manager who has been here for a a couple of years and one who just had his first week with the club.

Missed the point.

But I won't carry on as it'll be PoP

I think Gabby and Sanchez will be dropped for the next game

It's well known Stoke are our bogey team

We have played them what 14 times and only managed to beat them 3 times?

We don't like to be pressed.....we don't seem like the physical challenge

We were the better team in the early exchanges and up until our goal.

We are a team who has a terribly bad habit of allowing the opposition to impose their game on us.....and that is exactly what they did to us.

• Like 1

Thought we were ordinary for most the game....not dissimilar to much of the rest of the season. Interestingly for me though quite a bit different to last weeks second half.....having watched and rewatched that several times there was such a ' front foot' approach every time we won the ball.

I thought that happened a few times in the first half but then stopped completely. Not helped by an odd resort to long hoofs through much of the second half.

I don't go with all the ' bounce' nonsense, at least as many managers come into clubs and struggle, from Moyes to McLeish to McGrath to Lambert. But I was disappointed that the Manager appeared unable to build on a good second half past week and a reasonable half hour or so today.

Hopefully a further week will help, but it doesn't fully explain how we largely lost our way today. We will no doubt see soon enough if he can extract a more, far more, sustained performance.

I don't write us off there is nearly one third of a season to play and I saw signs, if not too much more, of a more positive approach. In addition I said in the pre match thread you rarely do the double over sides unless you are Top 6/7 and we don't have a great record versus Stoke.

We were only a minute from a draw which wouldn't have been totally undeserved.

I did think we looked light in midfield from early on and wonder whether he had almost talked himself into having to play more openly. If so again I suspect/ hope he will reappraise (plus we are away) for next week.

Whether he is a gamble or not is water under the bridge, they felt ( IMO correctly) that Lambert was, unfortunately, shot, so they gambled, if you like.

But I would have thought even the most easily upset fan would give the guy more than one game in order to assess our chances !

Even though I didn't today, my fear was with the squad we have there's a real danger of us getting overrun with 4-4-2 and it seems Stoke dominated really from 30 minutes onwards.

You have to have pretty good players to play 4-4-2 nowadays particularly in the middle area and we simply don't. 

They've been ingrained with 4-3-3 for the last few years so not sure how quickly they can grasp the different dynamics of 4-4-2 and we can actually win many games playing that style.

I was never totally against the Lambert 4-3-3 as on it's day it was very effective but the problem for the last 18 months are the forwards are being founded out and marked out of games and there was no plan B.

• Like 1

I said this earlier in the thread, when a new manager comes in you generally see a win because the whole team play at 100% trying to prove themselves to the new manager. Today this didn't happen, maybe 6-7 of the players on the pitch did not perform as well as we have seen. To me this is worrying, an shows the players commitment to our club is half hearted.. Sherwood and, or the players need to change this quickly because if they don't, you may as well place your bets now, that we will definately go down.

Â