Our midfield problem

Mic09

The midfield is our weak area but not sure we should write it off yet.

Jedinak looked much better second half against Reading and for first time he looked the business
Tshibola hasn't played enough, but is arguably our most talented player in there.  Powerful, bags of energy, decent in attack
Gardner - much better Tuesday.  Local lad, works hard, showing signs of improvement under Bruce. Lets back him!
Bacuna - been pretty good all season and was MOM for me Tuesday. 

When I look at them I think they could do a job for us until January and one or two might come good in a more organized Bruce team

22 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

I think we should look to the academy first. How many talents have we let slip in recent years? I mean even Hogg would be a solid player in our XI and Daniel Johnson. 

They are lower championship players. We are/were a PL club.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

They are lower championship players. We are/were a PL club.

True, but I wish we'd keep them on our books for longer and loan them out. We always seem to release them when they are getting to a good standard. Like Robinson this summer (I know not midfield but just an example) he's playing in the Championship and whilst he wouldn't be first choice here now, why didn't we keep him on and loan him? Worst case we sell with a little bit of income or best case he plays for the first team. Letting them go for free when we cannot be sure how they will turn out bugs me. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Gardner > Westwood. 

I actually suggested this a while back and was laughed out of dodge. I have a suspicious Bruce may not fancy Westwood. 

I think Gardner will get a few goals as well. Maybe the best striker of a football we have.

On 16 October 2016 at 14:11, wazzap24 said:

It's not just about the midfield for me, it's the whole team not moving up and down the pitch as a unit. 

We have the quality to be brave and play a high line in this league, which in turn would get the relevant departments closer together. 

^^^ This guy knows what he's on about :D

Seriously though, playing that higher defensive line and pressing them in their half made a huge difference to our midfield yesterday. 

Jedi was in touch with the centre halfs and held his ground well, Gardner got amongst them alongside him and Shape-wise  it worked well having Bacuna in front, but he lacks the game for the role. 

Much better 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Can McCormack fill the role Bacuna was asked to play?

Personally, my choice would be Grealish. McCormack could, but Jack's younger legs would be an advantage IMO. 

I think we would play our best football with Jack at the top of a three, with Ayew and McCormack just behind JK, but that would make us very narrow and we'd need the full backs to provide width. 

6 hours ago, guyavfc said:

But we're winning. There should be no concerns.

I'm concerned that Bruce seems to prefer Westwood, Gardner and Jedinak over Tish because, as I said, he's our best midfielder imo, and being overlooked for lesser players. We're winning because we've got a proper manager and our luck has turned. That's irrelevant to the point I made.

I want Tish in the team.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SidSidSidSid said:

I'm concerned that Bruce seems to prefer Westwood, Gardner and Jedinak over Tish because, as I said, he's our best midfielder imo, and being overlooked for lesser players. We're winning because we've got a proper manager and our luck has turned. That's irrelevant to the point I made.

I want Tish in the team.

When he played the midfield really struggled like the Wolves game. We have been better since he's been left out. His time will come but for now he has to take a back seat

On 20/10/2016 at 19:36, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Gardner > Westwood. 

I actually suggested this a while back and was laughed out of dodge. I have a suspicion Bruce may not fancy Westwood. 

Agree. Gardner, still hasn't got massive confidence but he is growing all the time. He is prepared to run with the ball, something Westwood hates doing. Gardner still looks a shadow of the player he was as a kid but can come good. Westwood has had his time and never did.

Â