The 2015 General Election

tonyh29

General Election 2015  

178 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote at the general election on May 7th?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Regionally based party (SNP, Plaid, DUP, SF etc)
    • Local Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • Spoil Paper
    • Won't bother going to the polls

This poll is closed to new votes

just spotted the UKIP bullshit they delivered to me yesterday, tax cuts for "hard pressed" families?

what does that even mean? define hard pressed? those who can only afford skys entertainment package rather than sports and movies? 

After long hard thought im voting conservative. The country is now in better shape than what it was five years ago. To much of a risk bringing back labour.

In the last five years my house price has gone up sharply, my salary has gone up and my outgoings have come down significantly, I cant complain about anything so I have again voted for them

My outgoings have gone down too, petrol for example. Thats one thing labour have said they will reverse so expect to pay more as a driver.

My property has gone up, it was ridiculously low 5 years ago

I am not having a go out you pair here but you have both mentioned your house price going up over the last 5 years. How has that and will that benefit you exactly? My house has gone up too but so has the bigger house that I had my eye on. If I am to move house I will actually be worse off than I would have been 5 years ago. My house has gone up around 10-15% but the house higher up the ladder has also gone up by the same percentage. The only way I could potentially benefit is if I sold up and pissed off abroad.

What rising house prices has done though is meant that it is far more likely that my eldest daughter who is 17 and just taking her A levels won't be in the position I was and able to buy her first house at 23.

Sticking with this being better off in last 5 years I am now paying less in income tax than I was due to the change in the tax thresholds. I don't  want to be a few pounds a week better off though at the expense of our public services, at the expense of some disabled bloke having his benefits cut, at the expense of a working family losing their tax credits and then struggling to put food on the table and resorting to food banks. That I'm doing alright Jack f**k those a little less fortunate attitude just doesn't sit right with me.

In terms of House prices though  they are all as bad as each other.Under Labour they at the peak in 2007 had risen 192% from 97 to 07.

I see alot of talk from the various parties but nothing I have seen or read makes me think they want to admit prices are too high

• Like 2

So if Labour want to get the confidence of the House of Commons (prove legitimacy) then surely showing that a greater percentage voted for them would help things?

The 'legitimacy' argument is a bit of a red herring at least in the way that you've put it here, Darren. (I've also seen it put this way by some media commentators).

As per the section of the Beeb article you quote, it's about confidence of the Commons which boils down to arses through respective division lobbies on particular votes (I suppose now under the Fixed Term Parliament Act that may be the one specific kind vote, i.e. on a motion of no confidence - though a loss of a supply vote may well lead to that specific vote) and that in turn confers any necessary legitimacy or takes away any from the government in question.

It really doesn't matter who gets more of the popular vote or even who gets the most seats (unless it gives them an outright majority), it's about who votes for or against you and I can't see anyone in parliament being swayed to change the way they vote on the basis of the share of the vote that another party has.

• Like 1

My wife and I both commented as we left our respective booths that only one of the candidates in my constituency of Bromsgrove had the honesty (or nerve!) to to list their home address. All the others hid behind a standard statement of which constituency they have an address in. Whilst it won't matter to most it may have been enough to convince a few last second waverers. If only the seat was a marginal. First past the post sucks!

The 'me' attitude is one that comes with being a Conservative supporter.

It comes with being a human being for the most part. Just about everybody votes for the party they consider will do the best for them and their family.

• Like 1

My wife and I both commented as we left our respective booths that only one of the candidates in my constituency of Bromsgrove had the honesty (or nerve!) to to list their home address. All the others hid behind a standard statement of which constituency they have an address in.

Political Parties and Elections Act 2009 - amendment (so that candidates did not have to make full address public) put forward by that tit Dr Julian Lewis.

The 'me' attitude is one that comes with being a Conservative supporter.

It comes with being a human being for the most part. Just about everybody votes for the party they consider will do the best for them and their family.
I don't see my voting in a selfish way. My family don't moan about the things they might miss out on because I've given a decent amount to charities, so why shouldn't I consider the bigger picture and vote for the best interest of the country and not just for the interest of myself and immediate family? Edited by brommy
  • Like 1

So you've finally noticed that the Daily Heil will do anything it can to get the Tories in! It's not a newspaper, it's a conservative party smear sheet.

sigh ... when have I ever been pro the Heil , or any newspaper  ? I'm a cynic and always have been ...  I'm still waiting for the Argies to launch an attack on Port Stanley before tea time

I wasn't saying you have been. I know you're a cynic :). It is of course now illegal for you to ever use the Daily Mail as a source for anything.

I live about 20 metres from a polling station and from my living room I can see the voters going in, so I've just started guessing who each of them are voting for.

I think so far, it's been mostly kippers. There was one bloke who looked Tory but he was wearing a red tie so I'm not too sure about him.

Definitely a green going in right now, he's got dreadlocks.

My wife and I both commented as we left our respective booths that only one of the candidates in my constituency of Bromsgrove had the honesty (or nerve!) to to list their home address. All the others hid behind a standard statement of which constituency they have an address in.

Political Parties and Elections Act 2009 - amendment (so that candidates did not have to make full address public) put forward by that tit Dr Julian Lewis.

I was unfamiliar with the 2009 amendment but I pleased that my chosen candidate was the single person not to hide his address.

• Like 1

...the Tories used that argument last time in arguing that Brown should move aside even though he was within his rights to try and form a goverment. The Tories were wrong then and anyone using the same argument this time would also be wrong...

Eames, my dear chap. Don't you see? The Tories were right last time, because it  meant that Tories got to be in Government. And now, of course, you see, my good man, Cameron clinging on to office regardless would be right, because it would mean that Tories will get to stay in Government - I'm sure now it's been explained to you how it works, this little lapse in your judgement can be quietly forgotten about. [/end tory]

• Like 2