The 2015 General Election

tonyh29

General Election 2015  

178 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote at the general election on May 7th?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Regionally based party (SNP, Plaid, DUP, SF etc)
    • Local Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • Spoil Paper
    • Won't bother going to the polls

This poll is closed to new votes

I get the impression a lot of undecideds will vote Lib Dem.

Isn't that how they usually get their votes? The 'cop-out' party, for unsure voters.

The problem the Lie Dems have this time is that the Lib Dems are now tainted and have betrayed much of their core vote, and so it's not such a 'safe' option. People will worry that a vote for Lie Dems = prop up the Tories.

They weren't expecting that last time. Once bitten ...

Arguably exactly why people should vote for them  ... Nobody is going to win outright and better the Libs than UKIP propping anyone up

to be fair , they kept the Tories in check in a lot of instances , they blocked the constituency changes that would almost certainly have lead to a Tory majority today  and so on

Clegg's crime was upsetting a few lefty students , even though beyond the headlines the student fees are proving to not really harming numbers of students and are seemingly improving the quality being offered ... the policy actually increased the payback threshold from Labours £6k fees ( funny how that isn't putting lefty students off voting labour )  so chances are most people wont even have to pay the money back  ...  It damaged Clegg becasue he broke a promise , but he isn't the only politician to ever do this ( see our referendum on Europe under Labour etc)  , so I'm not sure why he is the only one being taken to task for it

I like him , I hope he wins today 

• Like 1

Been and done it, didn't vote for any of the four Tory Parties standing in my constituency

Me neither.I voted for an Independent candidate, on the basis that he was anti-fracking and more likely to beat the Tory MP than anyone else.

Interesting that a video of Farage calling gay people" fags" has suddenly emerged today in the Heil ... the event only happened in July 2001 .... next up a video of Ed Miliband from 1977 drinking his school milk through a straw and looking funny

What's your point Tony? That since then he has clearly had an epiphany and become a much more liberal, open minded human being?

It shows the measure of the man when this barely makes a dent in my impression of him.

No that wasn't my point and I'm not even sure how you could have leapt to that wrong conclusion  , the 1977 comment should have made the point I was making obvious

but since you're struggling ... the point was that this video has been in existence for nearly 14 years and happened to get leaked today on election day on a day where Farage is running to be an MP and quite likely to take the seat from a Tory  ... It may not damage Farage completely but it will damage him none the less  ( or possibly will persuade some racists to vote for him and the leak came from him !!  )

So you've finally noticed that the Daily Heil will do anything it can to get the Tories in! It's not a newspaper, it's a conservative party smear sheet.

To anyone who thinks that voting for someone who has no hope of a seat in their constituency doesn't make a difference, apparently percentage vote (e.g. proportional representation) can be taken into account when deciding who is able to control power when assembling the government.

• Like 1

After long hard thought im voting conservative. The country is now in better shape than what it was five years ago. To much of a risk bringing back labour.

In the last five years my house price has gone up sharply, my salary has gone up and my outgoings have come down significantly, I cant complain about anything so I have again voted for them
Ditto, I've done well under the conservatives. But I can't vote for a party that looks after the elite and demonises the vulnerable like they do.

I am lucky, but should I or any of my family fall on hard times, I have little trust the conservatives have their best interests at heart.

• Like 2

...apparently percentage vote (e.g. proportional representation) can be taken into account when deciding who is able to control power when assembling the government.

Apparently what?

Someone has suggested (to you or in general) that the overall share of votes across the whole electorate will have some bearing upon the formation of a government (as opposed to the seats held)?

Edited by snowychap

Been and done it, didn't vote for any of the four Tory Parties standing in my constituency

Me neither.I voted for an Independent candidate, on the basis that he was anti-fracking and more likely to beat the Tory MP than anyone else.

Interesting that a video of Farage calling gay people" fags" has suddenly emerged today in the Heil ... the event only happened in July 2001 .... next up a video of Ed Miliband from 1977 drinking his school milk through a straw and looking funny

What's your point Tony? That since then he has clearly had an epiphany and become a much more liberal, open minded human being?

It shows the measure of the man when this barely makes a dent in my impression of him.

No that wasn't my point and I'm not even sure how you could have leapt to that wrong conclusion  , the 1977 comment should have made the point I was making obvious

but since you're struggling ... the point was that this video has been in existence for nearly 14 years and happened to get leaked today on election day on a day where Farage is running to be an MP and quite likely to take the seat from a Tory  ... It may not damage Farage completely but it will damage him none the less  ( or possibly will persuade some racists to vote for him and the leak came from him !!  )

So you've finally noticed that the Daily Heil will do anything it can to get the Tories in! It's not a newspaper, it's a conservative party smear sheet.

sigh ... when have I ever been pro the Heil , or any newspaper  ? I'm a cynic and always have been ...  I'm still waiting for the Argies to launch an attack on Port Stanley before tea time

To anyone who thinks that voting for someone who has no hope of a seat in their constituency doesn't make a difference, apparently percentage vote (e.g. proportional representation) can be taken into account when deciding who is able to control power when assembling the government.

Nope. 

After long hard thought im voting conservative. The country is now in better shape than what it was five years ago. To much of a risk bringing back labour.

In the last five years my house price has gone up sharply, my salary has gone up and my outgoings have come down significantly, I cant complain about anything so I have again voted for them

My outgoings have gone down too, petrol for example. Thats one thing labour have said they will reverse so expect to pay more as a driver.

My property has gone up, it was ridiculously low 5 years ago

I get the impression a lot of undecideds will vote Lib Dem.

Isn't that how they usually get their votes? The 'cop-out' party, for unsure voters.

The problem the Lie Dems have this time is that the Lib Dems are now tainted and have betrayed much of their core vote, and so it's not such a 'safe' option. People will worry that a vote for Lie Dems = prop up the Tories.

They weren't expecting that last time. Once bitten ...

Arguably exactly why people should vote for them ... Nobody is going to win outright and better the Libs than UKIP propping anyone up

to be fair , they kept the Tories in check in a lot of instances , they blocked the constituency changes that would almost certainly have lead to a Tory majority today and so on

Clegg's crime was upsetting a few lefty students , even though beyond the headlines the student fees are proving to not really harming numbers of students and are seemingly improving the quality being offered ... the policy actually increased the payback threshold from Labours £6k fees ( funny how that isn't putting lefty students off voting labour ) so chances are most people wont even have to pay the money back ... It damaged Clegg becasue he broke a promise , but he isn't the only politician to ever do this ( see our referendum on Europe under Labour etc) , so I'm not sure why he is the only one being taken to task for it

I like him , I hope he wins today

Better the SNP prop up Labour, by some distance. But thanks for the heads up ;)

Ditto, I've done well under the conservatives. But I can't vote for a party that looks after the elite and demonises the vulnerable like they do.

I am lucky, but should I or any of my family fall on hard times, I have little trust the conservatives have their best interests at heart.

Well expect to fall under hard times as labour are planning to up our taxes

The thing is what I dont get is they actually have helped people earning less by taking them out the tax altogether

...apparently percentage vote (e.g. proportional representation) can be taken into account when deciding who is able to control power when assembling the government.

Apparently what?

Someone has suggested (to you or in general) that the overall share of votes across the whole electorate will have some bearing upon the formation of a government (as opposed to the seats held)?

Nope. 

It's going to be a hung parliament.

Both sides have to prove legitimacy.

A larger percentage vote will help them prove that.

The thing is what I dont get is they actually have helped people earning less by taking them out the tax altogether

Firstly, that is only income tax; secondly, there will have been, as always in these scenarios, 'winners and losers' (factor in tax credit changes for a start); thirdly, it's potentially a quite worrying development when people conflate 'income tax' with 'tax' as it expands the band of people who are then no longer thought to be 'taxpayers' especially when the conversation comes around to representation and taxation.

It's going to be a hung parliament.

In all likelihood, yes.

Both sides have to prove legitimacy.

No, they don't.

A larger percentage vote will help them prove that.

Even if they did, it wouldn't. Edited by snowychap

voted Green. Oddly though going into the booth I had no idea which of three parties I was going for. The media bullshit from the Tories about the recession, Labour and SNP made me very nearly vote for Labour after all, but it would have been a negative vote.

Still, last time around tories won this seat by 194 votes, so it is very marginal, but I guess I still don't trust Labour at the moment to be sufficiently better than the Tories just yet. I think they will win the seat, anecdotally going on the relative number of signs up on the streets around, plenty of labour and lib dems and only one tory sign, but who knows.

• Like 1

Im not entirely sure any of the parties do really, however I will concede that my vote is based from an entirley selfish point of view regarding what is best for me and my family.

• Like 1

voted Green. Oddly though going into the booth I had no idea which of three parties I was going for. The media bullshit from the Tories about the recession, Labour and SNP made me very nearly vote for Labour after all, but it would have been a negative vote.

Still, last time around tories won this seat by 194 votes, so it is very marginal, but I guess I still don't trust Labour at the moment to be sufficiently better than the Tories just yet. I think they will win the seat, anecdotally going on the relative number of signs up on the streets around, plenty of labour and lib dems and only one tory sign, but who knows.

I live in Sutton Coldfield so I am expecting another comfortable Conservative win, I think it's been Tory since the 40's. Even though I voted Conservative I really could have stayed at home, the result will be the same as it always is in Sutton but I think you should always vote