Carles Gil

bose

he had zero assists in 20 starts last season including games vs Wycombe and Notts County and he had from stats site a rate of 1.5 bad touches per game. Alan Hutton had .8 bad touches per game and wouldnt call him a technical player

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

But he's not though is he? Thats the perception but apart from a couple of worldies he hasnt actually done a great deal in front of goal.

No, he's not. My post was a failed attempt at mocking how he fannies about with it in the middle third, but does little else. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he had zero assists in 20 starts last season including games vs Wycombe and Notts County and he had from stats site a rate of 1.5 bad touches per game. Alan Hutton had .8 bad touches per game and wouldnt call him a technical player

Hmmmm. Not saying I rate Gil but I'm pretty certain he assisted Richards goal V Wycombe.

P.S. it was a lovely assist. 

Edited by limvillian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, limvillian said:

Hmmmm. Not saying I rate Gil but I'm pretty certain he assisted Richards goal V Wycombe.

P.S. it was a lovely assist. 

well if true then it proves you cant trust that stats page ;)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What did he do to show he's easily premier league quality?

If you can't see his quality in this video nothing will convince you.

You can't show the skill, movement, vision and creativity he shows in this video and not be premier league quality.

There are many good reasons he didn't do it last season or regularly enough which I've already addressed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

You can't show the skill, movement, vision and creativity he shows in this video and not be premier league quality.

There are many good reasons he didn't do it last season or regularly enough which I've already addressed.

He looked fantastic in those games. But someone who can play well in 3 games and then not come close for the following 18 months is clearly not premier league quality. 

28 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Tonev looked good on YouTube as well.

Granted he looked like he had potential in his first couple of games, since then he has been turd.

• Like 1

Firmly on the fence with regard to Gil's abilities/inabilities and how suited he is to the English game, but haven't this phenomenon been a recurring theme at Villa over several years? New player arriving, looking confident and quite a coup / looking decent / showing some definite potential in the first games, and then never showing anything close to those first few games while still at Villa.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

But he's not handed in a transfer request (I don't think any player has?) it's just agent chat and probably the odd quote from interviews.  The majority are likely feeling "I'm happy to stay, but will leave if a better offer comes along" and that's completely fine.

Besides, most fans seem to want most players gone as they were terrible last season.  You can't have it both ways.

Players do not hand in transfer request these days because it costs them money to do so when they do get sold so they get their agents to make it clear they want a move.

Gil was one of the few players that I would have kept because I think he could have done a lot for us this season. It seems RDM did not share my opinion or Gil was not prepared to find out. My comments were aimed at players in general rather than at Gil by the way.    

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He looked fantastic in those games. But someone who can play well in 3 games and then not come close for the following 18 months is clearly not premier league quality. 

He has played well since then but what happened in those 18 months?

Sherwood came in, decided he was a luxury player and didn't play him.

We lost our best midfielders and striker compromising him to a large extent.

Garde set us up with too much caution, used him sparingly and out of position.

I didn't see any Eric Black matches but I can't imagine he managed him well either.

We played most matches last season with a striker who lacked movement and a midfield that didn't function.

He also looks like he has lost some of the motivation he had in his early matches. That can be turned around. I wouldn't have any hesitation backing him to regain his early form and the good form he has shown in patches since then and do it with more consistency at another premier league club.

Edited by Michael118

Good luck to him. To be fair he was the player bought at the worst possible time. Was Lamberts last signing about a month before he was sacked. The gone through 4 managers for whatever reason didn't fancy him. Didn't get a decent run at the first team. Yes could argue that he wasn't good enough for first team, but given the quality of what was being put on the pitch I think it's fair to say the managers didn't know what they were doing. Doesn't mean he deserved to start every game but can't judge him in that sense. 

More importantly whilst he may have done a good job for us (and I do think he dould have) if his heart is not in it, he shouldn't be in the team and getting him out like this is best for everyone involved. 

Good luck Carles, hope you tear up La Liga  :)

2 hours ago, TB said:

Firmly on the fence with regard to Gil's abilities/inabilities and how suited he is to the English game, but haven't this phenomenon been a recurring theme at Villa over several years? New player arriving, looking confident and quite a coup / looking decent / showing some definite potential in the first games, and then never showing anything close to those first few games while still at Villa.

This all over, and i've said as much.

18 hours ago, Michael118 said:

If they are now they won't be after he's given a better opportunity to show what he can do in a team that appreciates him and uses him properly.

What I will say for this post is that it's a bold prediction with a measurable outcome. 

We'll see at the end of the season whether he's set Spain alight I guess. 

• Like 1

Â