The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

5 hours ago, sne said:

France again in the center of thing with the teacher getting decapitated for showing a Charlie Hebdo caricature, Macron and Erdogan arguing about Islamic extremism and now today a knifing in a church in Nice with at least 3 dead. One of them a woman who was apparently decapitated. Not sure if it's actually related to ISIS but it's the same driving force.

Edit: Apparently there has also been a knife attack at the French consulate in Jeddah.

Edit 2: And police in Avignon has shot and killed a man who was attacking a police officer with a knife shouting Allahu Akbar

Its sickening

• Like 2

Apparently the police stopped an incident in Lyon as well with a guy with a knife, might be completely unrelated thou.

And on a related subject ISIS did in fact release a video not long before this all happened praising the guy who decapitated the teacher and called for attacks on France. It's the first video they've released in quite a while so odds are at least some of these attacks are related to this.

Edited by sne

Just looked and there is a game between Nice and Israeli side Hapoel Ber Sheeva tonight at 21 in the Europa League in Nice. Might be a good thing if fans are not allowed in the stands because that would have been a high risk situation. But think I read that they allow 5000 fans, but maybe that's changed again? Kinda hope it has.

Thoughts and prayers, light a candle, "we will not be divided", etc, rinse and repeat until the next person has their head hacked off with a knife in the name of 'religion'

Macron has some thinking to do. 

3 hours ago, Awol said:

When the former PM of Malaysia is Tweeting this to his 1.3M followers this morning, the lunatic fringe arguments can be put in the bin where they belong. 

Why would 1 tweet from 1 man preclude such a sentiment from being of a lunatic fringe? Unless you're implying that 1 former PM of a small country speaks for 2 billion other people.

7 hours ago, sne said:

France again in the center of thing with the teacher getting decapitated for showing a Charlie Hebdo caricature, Macron and Erdogan arguing about Islamic extremism and now today a knifing in a church in Nice with at least 3 dead. One of them a woman who was apparently decapitated. Not sure if it's actually related to ISIS but it's the same driving force.

Edit: Apparently there has also been a knife attack at the French consulate in Jeddah.

Edit 2: And police in Avignon has shot and killed a man who was attacking a police officer with a knife shouting Allahu Akbar

The bolded there is actually a man from the far-right anti-Muslim movement "Mouvance Identitaire". French media were jumping the gun there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

No, my point is that the ideology upon which these groups are built isn’t fringe. It is nurtured, funded and propagated using state resources and unchecked it will eventually dominate Islam. 

It started in Saudi but that country has been recolonising the Islamic world since 1979, deracinating the diversity out of the faith and supplanting it with an austere, intolerant and supremacist doctrine. 

Macron can think about it as much as he likes, Salafi-Jihadist ideology continues to mushroom globally because we’ve wasted two decades addressing the symptoms while ignoring the source of the disease. 

Until we change our approach events like this will continue indefinitely. 

Agreed. I mean the Saudis have been pushing this for 30 years now, and I still don't think it's even close to becoming anything resembling a dominant strain of thought. But as you say, it's completely unchecked. And why wouldn't it be, when they are lapdogs of all the major world powers?

What is startling is the amount of people on social media equating the cartoons level of offence to that of the murders.  Almost like it’s fair game or Paty and Macron should’ve known better and this is somehow to be expected/deserved.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I saw a Muslim guy on FB saying "How would you like it if somebody had insulted your mother or father like that? My reply? "I wouldn't give a shit, tbh. I certainly wouldn't think it worth cutting somebody's head off". 

I'd probably try to fight someone who insulted my mother to my face to be fair :lol: 

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

What is startling is the amount of people on social media equating the cartoons level of offence to that of the murders.  Almost like it’s fair game or Paty and Macron should’ve known better and this is somehow to be expected/deserved.

The ‘well she was dressed like a tart...’ argument. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Yes, agreed, this is very depressing.

You can dislike aspects of French history, and aspects of the way French society and politics treats Islam and Muslims, without needing to equivocate about the immorality of terorism and decapitation (!). This really shouldn't be hard.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, agreed, this is very depressing.

You can dislike aspects of French history, and aspects of the way French society and politics treats Islam and Muslims, without needing to equivocate about the immorality of terorism and decapitation (!). This really shouldn't be hard.

Also, tt's not mutually exclusive to hold the opinion that religiously motivated violence and policies that undermine minorities are both deplorable. In this day and age the problem is that everything seems so geared on picking sides that this is obfuscated a lot in public spaces like social media. Truly tragic and very depressing indeed.

• Like 4

Â