The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'd agree too, in one way it's a bad thing, in another it's good. It means we've become desensitized to such atrocities but it also means that ISIS aren't getting the full impact they crave for said attacks

I think I would say we are adjusting rather than being desensitized.

In London, way back when they first put concrets blocks around the City to stop truck bombs, it was pretty shocking for about a day and then people adjusted.

There was still shock and horror about actual attacks, but people recognised they had to cope.

Had a chat yesterday with my son's girlfriend about the Barcelona attacks.  I assume we are a target in Edinburgh right now in the festival, packed streets, hundreds of venues where they can't check what you are carrying because they just have to get people out and in within a very short time.  What can you do?  Walk on the inside of pavements not the road side, znd after that...not much.  So you just get on with it.

I don't think that erodes the horror of incidents, it's just a coping strategy.

22 minutes ago, coda said:

Apparently ISIS believe if they're killed by a woman they don't get to heaven. A female police officer killed four of the terrorists in Cambrils.

Myth I'm afraid , started in the Wall Street Journal back in 2014  

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Myth I'm afraid , started in the Wall Street Journal back in 2014  

Nothing to stop a bit of propoganda I say if it's for the comman good of all,  things like this should be spread by people as a matter of course,  anything to stop the idiots.  Flooding Facebook with this would be a great start,  no matter who shoots them report it as a female officer for example.  Report that the terrists were all wearing Small Heath kits for all I care but the point is that the hero thing that they think they will get must be have some balance to it.

EG,  "If you kill innocents in a terror attack in the name of whatever, you go to hell as some sort of animal or similar, that wears makeup and a big hat and is called Jeff."

Create the myths with the help of the communities that they come from.  There is a fine line here but I suspect this could be more effective than a 1 minutes silence now and then with some candles with the King ? queen there surrounded by 200 armed Police.  Only an idea but if it was good enough in WW II and all that.

The trend seems to be to drive a car into people then attack with stabbing weapons. If you travel a lot it'd be worth investing £5 at your local gym to get someone to teach you how to guard against knife attacks, it's one of the first things you are taught as a soldier.

Keep moving, don't get too close, entrap the knife with a jacket and run away. The more aggressive tactic is to get so close that the attacker can't swing, essentially hugging the person while trying to get the knife away. That is more for professionals though.

The last place I thought would be attacked is Turku, so it seems that ISIS are trying to go places where the security apparatus is not expecting to be attacked. Norway is the last Scandinavian country to not have been attacked by radical Muslim terrorists, however they had their fair share with the Oslo and Utoya attacks committed by a nazi.

• Like 2

Carry a flask, a spair cup and a pack of Mr Kiplins and I think you could talk anything be down with a knife. Be calm and explain that tomorrow will be a better day for him. If none of that works then hit him over the head with the flask. 

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

And pray for x

don't forget lots of prayer 

Remember to change your facebook profile pic to a flag of the country as well. 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What else can we do, seriously? 

Hit at the hand with the knife in it. You'd be surprised how weak a human wrist is. Take anything nearby and swing at the weapon. Backpack, rails, plants, pots, jacket. These guys won't care if you tell them to stop. They're brainwashed beyond anything rational.

Do not try to talk to someone who has been radicalised over years. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Go shopping. Dance. Walk along a beach. Talk to people. Get your daughter educated. Go on a Pride march. Be relaxed in the company of women that haven't covered their heads. Enjoy the weekend. Eat outdoors. Enjoy bacon. Shave or don't shave depending on fashion. 

There are 743 million europeans, I'd advise live your life normally and to the full. Duck and cover, or jujitsu, are unlikely to be required.

I suppose it's one of them where if it happens it happens. 

• Like 1

For the sensible people reading, in the unlikely event you find yourself involved a terror Incident, rather than pretending you're Rambo, run like ****.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Hit at the hand with the knife in it. You'd be surprised how weak a human wrist is. Take anything nearby and swing at the weapon. Backpack, rails, plants, pots, jacket. These guys won't care if you tell them to stop. They're brainwashed beyond anything rational.

Do not try to talk to someone who has been radicalised over years. 

ive been trying to perfect this for a few weeks now. Good luck to the terrorists. 

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

For the sensible people reading, in the unlikely event you find yourself involved a terror Incident, rather than pretending you're Rambo, run like ****.

Running just wears your trainers out. What about if you're wearing high heels?

Edited by Rugeley Villa

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I suppose it's one of them where if it happens it happens. 

I have embraced all the advantages of my privilege and I've done my best to give my kids the best and widest experience possible. We go to London we talk to strangers and next weekend we have tickets for a Pride gig in a big city.

If some useless tool thinks he can stop me drinking coffee outdoors, or marching with the trannies, or going to London to buy music...well, he's a mistaken useless tool.

If in the spectacularly unlikely event of their being a madman on the loose. Remove yourself from that situation.

If that madman is simply a fat uneducated virgin with an ISIS or swastika flag, follow him around playing comedy tuba music, or crack his teeth. Depending on your skill set.

• Like 3

Â