• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

We won and we kept a clean sheet. That'll do for me.  Good to get a late goal aswell and hopefully that will give them a boost going into the Leicester game.  Where was Gabby today?  He was only back from suspension so not like he needed a rest.  Good save from Given and it's about time Benteke took one of his chances even if the keeper looked like he dived out of the way of the ball.

Don't aim too high .

Just got back from the game, which was pretty painful to watch. We started well, and by that I mean the first 5 minutes and that was it. The same problems as the last few games were horribly evident, with zero creativity or energy going forward. For the first 20 minutes, Westwood was sitting as deep as Okore and Clark but thankfully got a bit further forward in the second. 

As for chances created, Given was the busier keeper although we did look relatively comfortable throughout. Our first meaningful shot was from Sanchez about 30 yards out and their keeper made a great save off Benteke but we really didn't look like scoring until his moment of quality. 

Tactically, we were pretty naff in all honesty. Aforementioned, we basically had 3 at the back with the idea of pushing on the full backs as much as possible. This didn't work as Aly really isn't strong going forward and with both Cole and Grealish cutting inside, it was very narrow. Cole looked the brightest but faded second half. The movement was appealing, with no midfielder looking to get beyond there defence so we just tapped it around amongst themselves. 

What worries me is not one player in particular played badly, but collectively it was a poor performance. I'd like to think that goal could kick start us but yet again, like his other 2 goals this season, it was a moment of magic from Benteke. 

I have to add, I normally dont criticise referees but Foy was shocking. We should have had a free kick/penalty first half which was a blatant foul (just not sure where it took place) and he gave nothing. 

• Like 2

Embarrassing to the **** hilt!.. Pathetic again.  

How can you say this, you didn't see the f'n match? 

First half was supposed to be dire, we were all over them 2nd half

Did you watch it?

No, hence me calling you out on your complete bs.

I listened to it and it sounded like we were much better in the 2nd half. We got deserved goal and won. 

CV back in November you said

I am still willing to wait and see with regards how we perform in the next 8 games. Then form an opinion either way on Lambert staying / going. If we only have 20 points after 19 games I mean he's got to be going.

Well we had 20 points from 19 games.  Yet you still seem to be very defensive over him.  What changed your mind? Or is it you just like to argue over the manager?

• Like 4

Where from?

I was sat in the Doug Ellis Upper, sounded like it was coming from the Holte.
Fair enough. Couldn't hear anything but normal songs from the holte where I was in the trinity.

Where from?

I was sat in the Doug Ellis Upper, sounded like it was coming from the Holte.
Fair enough. Couldn't hear anything but normal songs from the holte where I was in the trinity.

There was a lot of it in the Upper Holte. Before the goal, before full time and after the whistle, and not just a few people.

• Like 1

Lots of Lambert out chants in the lower holte. Don't think he is helping himself or anyone with project sideways. .we seemed slightly more forceful in the second half....so lets hope he abandons it

Thought Cole did reasonably well today...

Lots of Lambert out chants in the lower holte. Don't think he is helping himself or anyone with project sideways. .we seemed slightly more forceful in the second half....so lets hope he abandons it

Thought Cole did reasonably well today...

Problem is, if he abandons it we're back to hoofing it to Benteke and that's even worse! 

Embarrassing to the **** hilt!.. Pathetic again.  

How can you say this, you didn't see the f'n match? 

First half was supposed to be dire, we were all over them 2nd half

Did you watch it?

No, hence me calling you out on your complete bs.

I listened to it and it sounded like we were much better in the 2nd half. We got deserved goal and won. 

CV back in November you said

I am still willing to wait and see with regards how we perform in the next 8 games. Then form an opinion either way on Lambert staying / going. If we only have 20 points after 19 games I mean he's got to be going.

Well we had 20 points from 19 games.  Yet you still seem to be very defensive over him.  What changed your mind? Or is it you just like to argue over the manager?

'Goalposts' and 'moving the' to suit my argument are words that come to mind. :)  

I was in the Lower North but can't say I heard any out chants. Lots of booing at half time and sarcastic cheers when we had our first shot on target though. 

The cheering from Sanchez's shot was brilliant. Everyone around me celebrated it like a goal.

• Like 3

We are so devoid of any creativity or intentions of passing forwards that it is painful to watch 90 minutes. Players don't like to take anyone on and it feels more like a training session of one touch keep the ball that results in high possession but no attacks. Furthermore there is always that risk of a slip or an error which puts us in significant trouble.

I think the problems at Villa are little to do with Lambert and more to do with budget constraints in transfers and, more crucially, wages but I have to admit I heard rather loud 'We want Lambert Out' chants coming from the Holte End.

As for today, more boredom to the point I wish theyd just extend the half time challenge to 90 minutes instead...

Budget constraints dont tell players to pass sideways, make no forward runs or to sit deep when playing at home against weaker opposition.

90% of the issues at villa are down to poor coaching and dreadful tactics. Manager and entire coaching staff need to be removed at a minimum to push us on.

An owner who gives a crap would also help.

• Like 3

Lambert not understanding why the chants or negativity worries me, he talks below like we are playing like Real Madrid:

“We deserved to win the game,” he said.

“It wasn’t relief.

“We had so much of the ball again and it’s testament to ourselves and credit to the players that we completed the job.

“With the likes of Cole, Grealish, Benteke, and N’Zogbia on the pitch we have talented players who can make things happoen.

“Sometimes you just have to be patient.

“The players are enjoying the new style and they like playing this way. Any of them with tell you that.

“The last few games we’ve had so much of the ball.

“I’m more at ease with the way we’re playing now.

“That’s not to say you’re not at a knife-edge and that you’re not feeling it.

“But we have to be patient with the ball.

“It’s been tough to break down teams lately. Crystal Palace, for example, had six players behind the ball.

“You have to be patient with it. I’m at ease.”

Gosh it was cold

Did anyone buy those pork scrathings sold by those blokes in white coats before the match-and crucially did they taste nice?

I was amazed over 21,000 went to this this excuse of a game.

Happy birthday Doug

Do I have to talk about the match?

Dreadful, saved by Benteke 1 decent contribution to the whole 90 mins.

No movement at all just pass,pass,pass versus a rubbish championship side low on confidence.

The defence was okay and I though Sanchez looked good again. Cole was the only forward player trying to make stuff happen in the 1st half, faded 2nd.

Grealish was trying a bit too hard to impress I thought.

If I am being kind I would say that the foot injury is hampering Cleverley. If I am not being kind I would say he is a shite and having 13 caps for England should put him in a strange but true episode.

Somehow got a win and in the 4th round. That is the only positive of this match.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â