January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

If anyone believes that we were ever going to sign Rickie Lambert.....then more fool you. Of all the strikers that were NEVER going to move....he was the one! The PR BS cannot fool me. They chose the very man that they knew they couldnt/wouldnt get to try and appease us disillusioned fans. Read between the lines guys.....it was pure and utter BS by a club that treats loyal fans with comtemt and downright lies.

Feck off Lerner, the Villa is ours....no more pennypinching, lies and false dawns....feck off now!

Why would they do this with Ricky Lambert?

Surely they'd go for a bigger name?

I don't think there's any conspiracy here.

As I said to appease the fans. Just think about it......out of all the other strikers on the planet why choose to name the one that they knew would never happen. Moreover, where has the 5m been all through Jan when we hadnt scored a single PL goal. Why wait until 7pm on deadline day. I know Lambert is dumb but FFS we all knew we needed a striker for months....plent of time to scour the leagues to find one IMO. As far as I'm concerned it was purely to appease the fans. With 5m we could have got Defoe for example!

Which fans have they appeased?

If anyone believes that we were ever going to sign Rickie Lambert.....then more fool you. Of all the strikers that were NEVER going to move....he was the one! The PR BS cannot fool me. They chose the very man that they knew they couldnt/wouldnt get to try and appease us disillusioned fans. Read between the lines guys.....it was pure and utter BS by a club that treats loyal fans with comtemt and downright lies.

Feck off Lerner, the Villa is ours....no more pennypinching, lies and false dawns....feck off now!

It would have to be believable. We could hardly go in for van persie, no one would believe it!  Maybe conpiracy yes, but its true Ricky Lambert was never gonna leave Liverpool, its his school boy team, his dream. He was never gonna come here, he's hardly gonna get a game there now Sturridge is back, though I sure he would rather sit on there bench, wouldn't even be about money.

Edited by foreveryoung

Trying to look at the positive, at least the club didn't allow Lambert to shell out £12 m on Cleverly & Lambert

Two things

On cleverley the club struck a deal to sign him if we wanted.  If the manager had wanted to sign cleverley on a permanent deal we would have signed him.  So IMO you are utterly wrong to suggest they didnt allow him to shell out on that player

On Lambert the club bid for him,  the club wanted him and the manager wanted him.  Lambert (Rickie) was in a difficult position as he wants regular football and he doesnt have too much longer left to get it.  He had to balance that against playing for his club,  his family and how settled he is.  In the end he chose family over career,  cant blame him for that.  So again you are, IMO, utterly wrong to suggest the club did not allow Paul Lambert to shell out on that player as if Rickie L had decided differently then this morning he would be at Bodymoor training with his new colleagues

What you can be critical of,  and quite rightly here imo,  is the timeliness of the bid and why we waited until Monday afternoon to make it but again that may have depended upon business Liverpool were making or signals from them

What im critical about (among many other things) is that someone, most likelly Lambert  at any time thought that Cleverly would solve our midfield problems and that Rickie Lambert would solve our attacking problems
What I'm critical about is not Him wanting Rickie Lambert as that is a manager preference but doing late in the day and having no Plan B. IMO we were never going to get him because as I mentioned in my prior post everybody knew he was playing for his boyhood club and only just got there, and he's at the tail end of his career......why would he move?!?!

Yes he's getting less playing time there but coming to Villa, Benteke is the number one striker despite how he's performing and then Lambert will be vying for a place against Gabby, Andi and eventually Libor, and that's if we revert back to 442 which P Lambert rarely plays.....rather stay Pool and play for boyhood club competing at the higher end of the league competing against Sturridge whose been injured and Mario whose a square peg in a round hole up there....

Very cynical about why we bid on this be given the circumstances.

As I said to appease the fans. Just think about it......out of all the other strikers on the planet why choose to name the one that they knew would never happen. Moreover, where has the 5m been all through Jan when we hadnt scored a single PL goal. Why wait until 7pm on deadline day. I know Lambert is dumb but FFS we all knew we needed a striker for months....plent of time to scour the leagues to find one IMO. As far as I'm concerned it was purely to appease the fans. With 5m we could have got Defoe for example!

i bet you it comes up in the next few months in conversation as these things usually do. "He tried to get players, can't fault him for them not coming" so that's where the appeasing comes from

To me it looked like Dele Alli was coming, so when f***** Tottenham snatched him, he went for Rickie Lambert as a short term fix.

Possibly, but going from an 18 year old midfielder to a 33 year old striker is quite the change in direction

• Like 1

I'd give us a 7/10 for the window - Gil looks a great signing and Sinclair gives us something different going forward as well, although he needs to prove himself. Obviously wrapping up the Delph contract this month was a big deal too.

On the other hand, the last minute dash for Rickie Lambert was embarrassing - if we had £5m why didn't we try to bring someone in earlier? I'd back (Paul) Lambert to pick someone decent out with that money. I wonder whether it was the same £5m that didn't go on Alli, and tbh I'm disappointed we didn't move sooner on that as well. Obviously you never know what was going on behind the scenes but for a long-term player like that we could have put the groundwork in before the window opened and got it done quickly before the likes of Spurs got a sniff. When he goes on to play for England in a few years that might look like a costly decision. 

We should have enough in the squad to stay up but it's not going to be as comfortable as it ought to be. Anything below 15th again and we should be looking to change the management come the summer. 

• Like 2

To me it looked like Dele Alli was coming, so when f***** Tottenham snatched him, he went for Rickie Lambert as a short term fix.

Possibly, but going from an 18 year old midfielder to a 33 year old striker is quite the change in direction

Lambert is known for his excessive change of direction. Systems anyone??

Edited by foreveryoung

Dele Alli was always going to be loaned back to MKDons till the en of the season.

I know. Neither long term planning nor short term fixes went ahead with the £5 millions available.

i bet you it comes up in the next few months in conversation as these things usually do. "He tried to get players, can't fault him for them not coming" so that's where the appeasing comes from

But we did get players.

But we did get players.
fair point based on what I wrote but I meant strikers if we continue with our poor scoring record

Who is saying this? Lambert supporters? Lerner supporters? 

Lerner doesn't have any supporters. Lambert would be offered no support by anyone suggesting he'd tried to buy Lambert and therefore should be given a reprieve. I think the vast majority were happy with the business that was done in this window. A purchase of a good striker would have been dreamland, a purchase of a Rickie Lambert would have been greeted with a good deal of apathy. 

In short, I'll take that bet.

I'm a fan of conspiracies, but the rumours of disingenuously looking to sign Rickie Lambert merely as a show of strength are really terrible, and the predictions that the attempt will be used as a defence by non-existent fans of Lerner, worse. 

• Like 3

After everything is said and done about this transfer window it just shows the ineptitude of our "scouting" system!  Our "scouts" identified Deli Alli as a possible signing and when that deal did not happen Lambert went for Grant Holt MkII aka Rickie Lambert!  In my mind that says it all about the shambles that is Aston Villa.  That identifies to me that Lambert is clutching at straws now!  I think everybody who watches Villa can see that we do not need another striker, we need people who can give the ball to whoever is playing up front as at the moment we clearly do not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  R. Lambert knew that if he came here his goal scoring figures would not have increased and he would have ended up as bored as Benteke is at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!

After everything is said and done about this transfer window it just shows the ineptitude of our "scouting" system!  Our "scouts" identified Deli Alli as a possible signing and when that deal did not happen Lambert went for Grant Holt MkII aka Rickie Lambert!  In my mind that says it all about the shambles that is Aston Villa.  That identifies to me that Lambert is clutching at straws now!  I think everybody who watches Villa can see that we do not need another striker, we need people who can give the ball to whoever is playing up front as at the moment we clearly do not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  R. Lambert knew that if he came here his goal scoring figures would not have increased and he would have ended up as bored as Benteke is at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!

You do know that the transfer window was a month long and didn't just consist of Monday, right?

Did you miss the signings of Gil and Sinclair?

• Like 3

:crylaugh:

• Like 1

I genuinely think, that if we signed a player a day in the transfer window, most fans would moan that we didnt get involved in the last day sky spunk fest...............

You do know that the transfer window was a month long and didn't just consist of Monday, right?

Did you miss the signings of Gil and Sinclair?

Oops yes i did indeed thanks for reminding me :blush:

• Like 2