January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Shame about Dele Alli throwing his career away by signing for Spurs, where potential generally goes to die.

Shame about Dele Alli throwing his career away by signing for Spurs, where potential generally goes to die.

om

As opposed to blossoming at Villa . I really don't think so .

wonder why R. Lambert didn't want to come.

Could it be that we dont put any crosses into the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

This could be a myth as some Stats on MNF which Nevile was reviewing has us something like 6th for number of crosses I think.  What we were low on was of course goals and shots on Target.

Passing and possession we were right up there in the top 6.

Carra and Nevile then gave Benteke a slagging saying he isn't doing enough and compared him to Adeboyar.

They said Lambert has built the team around Benteke but he hasn't turned up

• Like 1

We've an awful habit of putting in these last minute big money bids after a month of saying we cant afford any more signings, don't we? Dempsey, Cleverley, Lambert... I'm sure there are more, too.

Surely a sensible person would think that, should the money be there at 6pm on deadline day, it was there at 9am the day the window opened? Unless of course the money was never there at all?

It's amazing what a 5-0 loss can do to your perspective of the balance sheet.

The cynic in me has thought a lot about this today, a bid so late in the day for a player who playing (agreed rarely) for his boyhood club at the tail end of his career. I know, I know...suggesting we knew we would fail but giving the perception that we were trying to sign players cannot be real but given we could've tried earlier, looked at other options, never had the money before, paying that for a guy that turns 33 in 2 weeks time, you can't help but be cynical sometimes......
Must say I woke up with the same thoughts this morning. If you really want a new striker, 1. Draw up a ranked list; 2. Try to get the top choice, some time earlier than 7pm on deadline day; 3. If that fails, go to choice no. 2, again a little bit before the evening of deadline day; 4, 5, 6, etc. as necessary.

On the other hand, if you want an empty gesture that will allow you to say, "well, we tried", without having to spend any money, try just one player who is a few months into a contract with his dream club, and leave it so late that he will most likely say no just because it's too big a decision to make in the 5 minutes he has to think about it.

• Like 3

This could be a myth as some Stats on MNF which Nevile was reviewing has us something like 6th for number of crosses I think.  What we were low on was of course goals and shots on Target.

Carra and Nevile then gave Benteke a slagging saying he isn't doing enough and compared him to Adeboyar.

Passing accuracy in the top 1. 

Our crosses hit the first man a lot, or go behind the players in teh box, or drift aimlessy into the arms of the keeper. It's not that we don't cross, it's that we are definitely lacking quality there. 

We've an awful habit of putting in these last minute big money bids after a month of saying we cant afford any more signings, don't we? Dempsey, Cleverley, Lambert... I'm sure there are more, too.

Surely a sensible person would think that, should the money be there at 6pm on deadline day, it was there at 9am the day the window opened? Unless of course the money was never there at all?

It's amazing what a 5-0 loss can do to your perspective of the balance sheet.
The cynic in me has thought a lot about this today, a bid so late in the day for a player who playing (agreed rarely) for his boyhood club at the tail end of his career. I know, I know...suggesting we knew we would fail but giving the perception that we were trying to sign players cannot be real but given we could've tried earlier, looked at other options, never had the money before, paying that for a guy that turns 33 in 2 weeks time, you can't help but be cynical sometimes......
Must say I woke up with the same thoughts this morning. If you really want a new striker, 1. Draw up a ranked list; 2. Try to get the top choice, some time earlier than 7pm on deadline day; 3. If that fails, go to choice no. 2, again a little bit before the evening of deadline day; 4, 5, 6, etc. as necessary.

On the other hand, if you want an empty gesture that will allow you to say, "well, we tried", without having to spend any money, try just one player who is a few months into a contract with his dream club, and leave it so late that he will most likely say no just because it's too big a decision to make in the 5 minutes he has to think about it.

I doubt Rickie Lambert was the top choice to be honest, it will be impossible to know where he was on that list unless you are Paul Lambert or Tom Fox or were in the office at Bodymoor over the last few days.

Yes instead it was better we signed nobody new much less a striker who could actually maybe score in one match and keep us up! 

**** the price. I'd pay 10m if it prevented us from going down.

Whats the point of signing Lambert if we cant create the chances for him to score?

Lambert wont be the difference between staying up or going down. lennon would have been a more useful signing

Benteke needs to be dropped we can't play a system that requires him at his best when he is miles from it.

The window didn't consist of yesterday.

As a whole, I think the window has been decent. We have a good enough team and squad to finish comfortably.

Lambert just has to get the best out of them now.

• Like 1

I would give the window 8/10 to be honest.  We have two attacking players who can both play wide or in the case of Gil behind the frontman.  Which was something we were severely lacking.  Ideally we would have competition for Tekkers but we have enough quality.  We need the manager to stop handcuffing the players and the players to be more dynamic. 

• Like 1

We've needed goals since October, so to wait till the last moment just stinks. Added to the fact we bid for somebody who might not come for personal reasons.. It just stinks.

I can see why the Lambert bid looked fishy, but I never believed it could happen until about 7pm when it looked like it could be on. Seemed he was close to coming and I think he would have made a real difference. As it is, we need Benteke scoring, I don't know if it's his touch, service or a bit of both - but he's not the only one who is allowed to score so clearly everyone needs to up their performance.

We've needed goals since October, so to wait till the last moment just stinks. Added to the fact we bid for somebody who might not come for personal reasons.. It just stinks.

yes, chief executives and footballer managers have all the time in the world to sit around from 6am to 11pm for days up until the deadline arranging meetings with agents, being bombarded by the press creating false leads to convince fans were trying to buy players and then disappoint them. genius.

Or...

They have a list of players, many of which may be more affordable, and over the transfer window may not materialise, all the while other clubs delay on deals til the last minute to make sure they get more money and can make arrangements for replacements.