January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

I think the bid for lambert was genuine.  I think it was a complete desperate act and i'm glad that it shows the club are worried.  We have struggled throughout lamberts time here and previous january windows had nothing like it at all.  It gives me hope that the club will take drastic action in order to survive and that Lambert isn't nailed on to keep his job no matter what.

This conspiracy R Lambert false flag bid and the suggestion that being after R Lambert when Alli didn't happen was anything other than because we only had the funds for one and prioritised the better value deal has pushed me over the edge along with all the Lambert Army shite, I don't think I can read this forum anymore outside of match day.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

I thought the 11th hour bid for Rickie was pretty worrying for a number of reasons:

1) We offered more than Liverpool paid for him - despite his value obviously depreciating a lot

2) If we had these extra funds available all along, why was the club not working on overdrive to get more business done early (something which PL is usually good at), especially if those at the top are as desperate as that bid would make us appear?

3) The player himself - hardly inspiring and not going to affect our woeful style of play and chance creation

All in all though, a half decent window

I thought the 11th hour bid for Rickie was pretty worrying for a number of reasons:

1) We offered more than Liverpool paid for him - despite his value obviously depreciating a lot

2) If we had these extra funds available all along, why was the club not working on overdrive to get more business done early (something which PL is usually good at), especially if those at the top are as desperate as that bid would make us appear?

3) The player himself - hardly inspiring and not going to affect our woeful style of play and chance creation

We don't know how much we bid for him, I saw rumours ranging between £3-5m

Lots of other clubs failed to get the strikers they wanted. We could have been in the Adebayor race. At least we weren't in the Carlton Cole race (snigger)

I actually think he'd have done really well at our club. He's got experience, intelligence. He's have lined up well with wingers and given Benteke something to think about. To play football doesn't require 11 gucci players. It takes 3-5 individuals playing within a framework for them to operate. A (currently) lazy striker failing to hold the ball, failing to create space for the likes of Gabby/Weimann/Gil/Delph/N/Zog/Sinclair is a MASSIVE hindrance. If we get an on-form target man, we're laughing.

Agreed. I'm content. We probably did as well if not better than the majority of clubs around us.

• Like 1

We don't know how much we bid for him, I saw rumours ranging between £3-5m

Lots of other clubs failed to get the strikers they wanted. We could have been in the Adebayor race. At least we weren't in the Carlton Cole race (snigger)

I actually think he'd have done really well at our club. He's got experience, intelligence. He's have lined up well with wingers and given Benteke something to think about. To play football doesn't require 11 gucci players. It takes 3-5 individuals playing within a framework for them to operate. A (currently) lazy striker failing to hold the ball, failing to create space for the likes of Gabby/Weimann/Gil/Delph/N/Zog/Sinclair is a MASSIVE hindrance. If we get an on-form target man, we're laughing.

Agreed. I'm content. We probably did as well if not better than the majority of clubs around us.

Well he has decided to stay at Liverplop. He won't get a game now Sturridge is back. I hope he is happy there. Really bad decision I think personally, obviously not much interest in getting game time, he'll just sitting on the bench, good luck to him.

Yeah but think of it this way.

You're playing for Villa. You're only a fringe player, but Villa are doing well, look like we could push for the top 4. You might have cup games and champions league games next season and you believe you can fight your way into the team as you've only been there for half a season. And if you don't, there's always the summer to consider your options.

Then in January someone like West Brom comes knocking on the door on the last day of the window asking you to sign for them and yo uonly have a couple of hours to make up your mind.

You won't get a pay rise, you'll have to move your family for the second time in 6 months, and you'll be giving up playing for the club you've supported your whole life who are currently doing rather well.

The only positive being you'll get to play more football, but it's for a team who could well (in your opinion) get relegated and you'd find yourself potentially in the championship next season.

Would you move?

Maybe you would. But I don't think it's a bonkers decision for Lambert to stay where he is.

• Like 3

Totally agree Stevo. Plus he's pretty much at the back end of his career. He's not a young up and comer who has everything to prove and international caps to win. He's settling at his boyhood club, playing a bit part and getting well paid. He'd be foolish to have moved to us tbh.

Save the funds and sack the manager, who unfortunately just isn't up to it, as his abysmal record proves.

I hate it when a Villa manager fails, but that's what Lambert has done. The run of form we're on is very worrying, with just two wins and seven goals in half a season. We're actually getting worse, despite the fact that there is a reasonable number of decent players here. This squad isn't going to pull up any trees, but it should be more than capable of slogging it out between 12th and 10th.

There is only one reason why its under performing so chronically.

Baffling how we seemingly had £5 million to spend on R Lambert. Surely it would have been wiser to look for a Benteke-esque signing from a European league?

I think it would have been tough to sign one on the last day of the window and get them over for a medical etc. I believe the money had been earmarked for the Alli deal and that seemed to break down quite late so we went for Lambert as a last minute deal to try and get somebody in. I think we may have dodged a bullet really, good player but only a short-term thing for a relatively high amount of money. I know Benteke signed on deadline day but that transfer had been ongoing for a while.

I still think that 5m must have been intended for someone else (Ba maybe?)

No matter what you think of the manager, do you really think he'd have had that £5m for the whole of the window and then decided to spend it with 6 hours left?

Either that money was meant for somebody else or it was given to him at the last minute.

• Like 1

I think it was earmarked for Alli.

Good point. That was the amount Spurs signed him for.

Even if it was earmarked for Ali, wouldn't have been the smartest move, knowing he was being loaned back to MK straight away till end of season. I thought the priority was we needed players for now, to help us with the rest of the season.