January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

We'd be looking for Lambert to come in, replace Benteke and do a better job. I don't see that as our priority, I'd much rather see the money spent elsewhere.

We need some kind of incremental improvement. We need at least 1 center forward prepared to put a decent shift in and chip in with at least the odd goal. 

I'd love to see the money better spent, but it's transfer deadline day. What else are you realistically hoping happens? Would you rather nobody? 

He's older than Kevin Nolan.

He's scored less goals this season than Weimann or Agbonlahor.

£5m?

In less appearances.

Lambert 2 in 17.

Agbonlahor 3 in 20.

Now I know that most of Gabby's will have been starts and most of Lambert's will have been sub appearances, but Gabby has been quite rightly lambasted for his form this season - you'd want him to have at least doubled that total - and you'd want someone you were paying £5m for to have matched it in sub appearances. 

Would you pay £5m for Gabby in four and a half years time?

He's older than Kevin Nolan.

He's scored less goals this season than Weimann or Agbonlahor.

£5m?

In less appearances.

Yeah, he's only played 585 minutes in the league this season. Andi's played 1464 and Gabby 1719.

• Like 1

We'd be looking for Lambert to come in, replace Benteke and do a better job. I don't see that as our priority, I'd much rather see the money spent elsewhere.

We need some kind of incremental improvement. We need at least 1 center forward prepared to put a decent shift in and chip in with at least the odd goal. 

I'd love to see the money better spent, but it's transfer deadline day. What else are you realistically hoping happens? Would you rather nobody? 

Question we need to ask is WHY has Lambert/Lerner/Fox left it to the last minute for a striker and now looking at Prem only strikers!!

Very bad management all around..

• Like 1

Than Lambert? Yes. It'd allow for the players we have that I believe are better than him to play.

What I'd really like is for us to get a wide player in - we're desperately short in that area.

Lambert had 13 goals and 11 assists last season. He has 28 goals and 18 assists in 75 premier league games with Southampton. He is more than just a number 9, he has great feet and is very smart and is capable of making things happen for other players. Get it done please lambo

Agree, but at 32, 5m is a little too much. 

I'd rather have Byram than Lambert.

I'd rather have £5m than Lambert.

The age matters - it's money down the drain - for free I'd take him on a two year deal. For £5m and a four year contract worth another £10m? I'd rather rod my dog.

What if we pay £5m and he scores 5-10 goals and it keeps us safe from relegation - is it worth it? What if we don't sign him and we get relegated because we Benteke doesn't start scoring?

He's not as good a player as Benteke, he's not as good a player as Agbonlahor - I have three problems with him - he's not that good, he's old and he's expensive. What if we pay £5m for him and as a result of that and his wages we have to sell players in the summer?

There are better players about for the money - players with sell on values - players with futures.

Ok....but what if we don't buy someone to score goals and we get relegated?

I agree with you to an extent, he is not the future of the club, but he is an experienced player who can score goals at the highest level. He is older than our other recent signings, but if he does a job for 2 years then so be it. Benteke and Kozak are both young, as is Weimann, at this moment in time do we really need another young player with potential to improve?

With regard to selling players in the summer - which players in our squad are indispensible? Based on what we have seen this season, I don't think any of them are.

I also think its very worrying if Agbonlahor is the benchmark for our signings these days - he's a shadow of the player he was under MON and of the player that we all hoped he could be.

This all might be a moot point because it could be a garbage story, but I don't understand how we could turn down a player like this, even if we are paying probably twice as much as we should be. Unfortunately we are in a position where we are desperate, so we have to pay over the odds, and based on how tightly the purse strings have been managed in the last 3 years, I would suspect we are not overstretching ourselves.

Lambert had 13 goals and 11 assists last season. He has 28 goals and 18 assists in 75 premier league games with Southampton. He is more than just a number 9, he has great feet and is very smart and is capable of making things happen for other players. Get it done please lambo

Agree, but at 32, 5m is a little too much.

I think it would be nice to see Lerner actually pay over the odds for once, the tight git. [emoji39]
  • Like 1