January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Rickie Lambert is 33 next week! £5mil is way too much for a very average striker!

Not sure why we are not looking abroad as some good strikers around that mark in the Dutch/Spanish/German leagues!

Lambert would be Grant Holt Mk2 type of signing! Meh

10360896_10152629780581200_1940929080164

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

Rickie Lambert is 33 next week! £5mil is way too much for a very average striker!

Not sure why we are not looking abroad as some good strikers around that mark in the Dutch/Spanish/German leagues!

Is it not getting to a stage, where we have to be looking at British based players, as foreign based players are going to struggle to get to BMH, to complete deals? Assuming they're not already lined up (wishful thinking!). 

It means if we didn't have Lambert as manager we would have been relegated by now and signing the likes of Rickie Lambert would just be a pipe dream.

If that's your opinion then fair enough. Does it also mean though if we didn't have Lambert as manager we would not have over the last 19 games ( half a season) gained 13 points, scored 7 goals and conceded 29 or is that down to someone else?

Edited by markavfc40

made even worse by some silly loan terms that means we have to play him........

There's absolutely no chance that's a clause, because it'd never be allowed
Well there is obviously some kind of clause that is finance related like us having to pay money everytime he doesn't play. The deal was rushed through after the deadline and I wouldn't put anything past some of the jokers involved with our club making a balls out of the deal.
Why obviously? I strongly doubt there is tbh. I think it's more down to the manager not having a clue how to organize a midfield.

Think about it, though, how could the FA possibly allow a clause that means a player has to play? He could end up intentionally passing the ball to the other team and still be required by the contract to play every game

I agree that's it's unlikely there is a clause that he has to play and I was most likely wrong to say that but it's very possible that there is a clause that means we have to pay money if he doesn't start or if he doesn't reach a certain amount of starts over the course of the season, clauses like that are not uncommon in loan deals.
Oh, do you mean he hasnt been 'passing the ball to the other team intentionally'?
I still want someone to give me one good reason why Utd would give two shits whether he played week in week out or not. They'd already told him he was surplus to requirements, they don't really want him back (evidence: loaning him out for the last twelve months of his contract) and it's not similar to Deulofeu who Barcelona probably view (or viewed, at any rate) as a project for the future.
Maybe it was a deal with Cleverly himself that he would have to start a certain number of games or else he wouldn't of agreed to join us on loan.

And that 'certain number' is 100%? Still seems vanishingly unlikley, why would any manager agree to have their hands tied like that? You think he really agreed to one name on the teamsheet being chosen every week by force of contract?

Not every game but possibly has to start a certain number of games.

Not sure why people get so hung up on age? He knows where the net is thats for sure. Are you saying you wouldn't take Frank Lampard?

• Like 1

Not sure why people get so hung up on age? He knows where the net is thats for sure. Are you saying you wouldn't take Frank Lampard?

And like Rickie Lambert is in Frank Lampard's class! i'll have whatever your drinking!!

£5mil is a lot for a guy who is 33 next week and is a million quid more than what they paid for him!! he's only scored 2 goals all season!!

Edited by Villan4Life

Liverpool won't let him go on loan. It's gonna take an over the top bid to get him. Such is the Jan window. Would you rather get him, and see him bang in the goals that may keep us up, or get no one in is the question? Personally, I'm not sure he's worth the gamble, but we're staring down the barrel of the gun, and need to do something...

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

The image of board members and managers scrambling around the office on mobiles, chain smoking with shirts unbuttoned has always tickled me.

I'm imagining Lambert and Fox sitting in one of their offices playing Connect 4. All of a sudden Lambert jumps out of his seat and runs to the phone. Starts dialling. Tom looks over wearily. 'Are you trying to call Grant Holt again?'

'Oh yeah shit sorry. I forgot'

Back to Connect 4. 

• Like 2

He has proved himself at every level of football including international and premier league, I'd take him all day long as he knows where the net is and I couldn't give a shite how much he costs ad it's about time Lerner freed up some funds for a proven premier league goalscorer. If he comes in and scores the goals to keep us up would it be money well spent?

• Like 2