Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its not a hard and fast rule but can't think of many times when I would break it. Even on holiday in an all inclusive resort, I see people knocking back rum and cokes at 10am. I may have a shandy in the 40 degree Egyptian heat but usually just soft drinks until after lunch. 

It's usually on holiday when it gets applied (only time it's ever an option). 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The food place round the corner has an inflatable Santa at the front of the premises. I love Christmas, but bugger me sideways it's a bit early. 

I was in Vienna the week before last and there was a bloke on a mobility scooter dressed as Father Christmas.  He also had a t-shirt with a picture of Kim Jung-Un hanging from the back of his scooter saying 'Nuke U All' on it.  A bit premature on both fronts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

The new Star Trek has Klingon subtitles in the options.

Why would you learn Klingon?

I get spaceships, robots, SF, that's fine, but why do it to yourself? 

Mandarin or Cuneiform or Python or French, not bloody Klingon. Dweebs.

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Also, if you NEED Klingon subtitles, does that mean you've forgotten your own native tongue?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Racist. 

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm always surprised by the amount of people in good jobs who seemingly have no ability to save money or put money away for a rainy day. Instead they live paycheque to paycheque and spend all their money on material bullshit that is more about impressing other people rather than adding any joy or enrichment to their own lives. 

Don't get me wrong I like to treat myself every now and again but i'm fairly sensible about it. 

I started my work career at the bottom so I know what its like to live month by month and maybe that has made me appreciate the money I earn more now. This post isn't about low earners as I know it is practically impossible to save money but more at the people on far higher salaries who have no concept of the value of money.

Rant over - sorry! It stemmed from a conversation I had with a friend yesterday. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Sci-fi.  I don't think I've ever enjoyed any of it except Jurassic Park (if that counts as sci-fi).

I greatly prefer my science fiction  as books (SF), rather than on the screen (sci-fi). 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I greatly prefer my science fiction  as books (SF), rather than on the screen (sci-fi). 

I’m the other way around when it comes to Sci-fi at least .

Mrs H got me The Asmivov federation books once and I just couldn’t get into them ... it’s rare I don’t finish something I start reading but I just gave up on it

i suspect a film version i’d  happily watch  

Edited by tonyh29

Â