Who Would be Next?

Stevo985

If we sold the club to someone exactly like the Lerner we've got, but wanting to stay and do something, I think we could attract almost anyone, but at the moment I don't think it would be practical. There'd be too many exchanges like this one:

Prospective new manager: "How much is there to spend next summer?"

Lerner: "I don't know, I'm hoping not to be here."

There isn't a job to be done at the moment, that's the thing. If you're an up and coming manager, you'd take on a three year well financed project in the Championship over a caretaker stint at a Premier league club in limbo in my opinion.

I think to some extent we've forgotten we're for sale because we've been for sale so long. 

• Like 2

Except that despite being up for sale, there was at least £15m (if we include the Cleverley money) available in the summer and Lambert has already spoken about January targets. So there is a job that can be done even if any prospective manager simply sees us as a stop-gap or stepping stone. The fact that expectations are so low means that even finishing comfortably mid-table will be seen as a good job. I've seen decent managers take much worse.

I know where you're coming from, but I think it's the uncertainty over time frames that adds that bit of difficulty - if we put the job up as available until the end of the season, then I think there'd be some interest from someone out there with something to prove - but I don't think we even know that much.

It's possibly (although sadly seemingly unlikely) that any new manager could be gone in a month.

Quique Flores anyone? he was interested in Villa job before we got Houllier and is only 49 and won a fair few cups including Europa League in 2009/2010

Good suggestion.

No. Hasn't worked for a long time. Should have appointed him when he wanted it but now its too late.

I know where you're coming from, but I think it's the uncertainty over time frames that adds that bit of difficulty - if we put the job up as available until the end of the season, then I think there'd be some interest from someone out there with something to prove - but I don't think we even know that much.

It's possibly (although sadly seemingly unlikely) that any new manager could be gone in a month.

That's a fair point although new owners usually give the incumbent manager a chance. But seeing as there appears to be no sale on the horizon and Lerner effectively has gone back to business as usual, I don't believe that the ownership issue would be such a stumbling block for available managers.

Quique Flores anyone? he was interested in Villa job before we got Houllier and is only 49 and won a fair few cups including Europa League in 2009/2010

Good suggestion.

No. Hasn't worked for a long time. Should have appointed him when he wanted it but now its too late.

He has, just not in Spain for a few years.

• Like 1

He has a good record in Spain though Noel, why not give him chance in Premiership? people like Koeman and Pochettino have hardly set other league alight before coming Premier League and been a success and Flores managed in UAE so not really a fair comparison as they sack managers successful or not and he actually won trophies there as well.

Still only 49 and managed some big teams and has done well..

Manager[edit] Benfica

Atlético Madrid

Al Ahli

Al Ain

Edited by Villan4Life

I want us to bring in someone who sees the value of good tactics, passing and movement. Whether British, British-based or working abroad. Despite the problems he seems to bring, I'd even go for Laudrup right now.

I want us to bring in someone who sees the value of good tactics, passing and movement. Whether British, British-based or working abroad. Despite the problems he seems to bring, I'd even go for Laudrup right now.

Good tactics, passing and movement - what's that?

Anyone who bleeds claret and blue .

That's not necessarily a good thing for a perspective new manager. I'd rather someone lead the team with his mind and not his heart; an astute tactician who isn't bound by an association with the club from years past. 

• Like 1

I'm going to go with Steve McLaren. Simply because he's got a good record in domestic football, he's English and he's currently managing locally so wouldn't have to move too far.

Wonder if Steve would put a Brummie accent on :) ha

Anyone who bleeds claret and blue .

That's not necessarily a good thing for a perspective new manager. I'd rather someone lead the team with his mind and not his heart; an astute tactician who isn't bound by an association with the club from years past.

Let me guess : you play chess .

My choice would be Mclaren.

Experienced

Good coach

Plays good football

Managed and did well abroad

Has rebuilt his reputation after drinking from the poison chalice

He ticks every box for me and is one of the only (realistic) choices who I think could last a few years and actually get us somewhere.

We don't need some random foreign coach and we absolutely don't need Pony **** Poolis

Edited by wazzap24

Â