Paul Lambert

limpid

Interesting that even those posters that still back Lambert to some extent, are not convinced that he can turn things around.

Even they are talking about having to allow more time to allow them to decide if he will be capable of it.

Interesting that even those posters that still back Lambert to some extent, are not convinced that he can turn things around.

Even they are talking about having to allow more time to allow them to decide if he will be capable of it.

Nothing to see here. If the results were good it would be obvious we need to keep him. They aren't, so his position is being called into question.

If there were signs that things were improving I would buy into the argument of giving more time. After 2 woeful seasons the football looks as bad if not worse than the previous ones.

There's no need to wait and see what Lambo can do - we've seen it already. A dull, uninspiring team that struggle with the basics. 

A team set up to frustrate rather than to take the game to the opposition. 

So during Lambert's time here do you believe the players have been playing to the best of their ability?

Well obviously no player plays to the best of his ability in every game, and the Villa players are no exception. Do I believe the players would be playing closer to the b.o.t.a. under a different manager? I have absolutely no way to know, and nor does anyone else.

You could no one knows about all managers. You could have said no one knows if replacing mcleish would see an improvement but that doesn't mean you stick with it because of that.

I think far too many of our players play under the ability they're capable of. I think a lot of that comes down to poor coaching and playing the wrong system with the wrong players in the wrong positions.

I can't believe that losing half our games and barely scoring is the most we can expect from the squad Lambert's put together.

I think he should be given the next 6 games, If there is no progress we simply have to take mitigating actions.

New man needs to be in place early/mid December to assess the squad ready for the January sales.

Edited by Kingman

But we know the players are not that bad.

Most are internationals for one thing, but more relevantly we have seen some excellent individual and team performances.

To me it is clear, the players are not as bad as our two and bit seasons results suggest.

Also clearly, lambo can and has organised and motivated them perfectly sufficiently on occasions.

For me the whole crux is therefore whether you consider he either has, or will, do that often enough.

Sadly the answer to both of those has to be no, IMO.

• Like 2

I'd give him the target of 7 points minimum in the next 5 games, or a very visible change in approach where we actually look capable of threatening teams consistently. That'll have us up to the end of the palace have and have Leicester up next. Decent first fixture for a new man

I wonder what Lerners target for this season is? Most will say to stay up which is a given but after him saying he wants to enjoy Villa again what will make him happy? A sale doesn't look any where on the horizon so if Lerner wants to enjoy it he must surely place a higher standard than just staying up. Most fans have had enough and if this form continues that figure will only increase so at what point do you think Lerner and Fox will have to act? Sub 25000 crowds? Bottom 3 at Xmas? 3 more goalless defeats? A drubbing on Sunday?

• Like 1

I am not questioning the fact that our football is bad. But good results in the next 2, maybe 3 games will turn the whole thing upside down.

Let's see if we get those good results. If you fancy us to beat Spurs by 2 goals, you can get very good odds indeed from the bookies.

But we know the players are not that bad.

Most are internationals for one thing, but more relevantly we have seen some excellent individual and team performances.

To me it is clear, the players are not as bad as our two and bit seasons results suggest.

Also clearly, lambo can and has organised and motivated them perfectly sufficiently on occasions.

For me the whole crux is therefore whether you consider he either has, or will, do that often enough.

Sadly the answer to both of those has to be no, IMO.

Well said, this is exactly the way I see it at the moment. The squad we have right now is good enough to perform better than they have been. It's the strongest squad that Lambert's had since he's been here, and there's a fair amount of depth to it also. We should be able to achieve mid-table with this squad. I think another manager could get that out of these players.

In Lambert's time, we seem to have a series of peaks and valleys -- an unexpected run of good results, like at the beginning of this season. And then just when things seem to be clicking, a string of crushing defeats like the one we're currently on, last season's late spiral, the 8-0, 4-0, 3-0 run in Lambert's first season. He has not shown any ability to get consistent performances out of this team. I don't see it improving, unfortunately. I'd love to be proven wrong.

A team set up to frustrate rather than to take the game to the opposition.

I wanted to highlight this too, because it's my main pet peeve (and a rare occasion where I agree with Brumstopdogs :) ). This team performs better when we take the game to the opposition. We have done it before, and it's how we've achieved some of our better wins under Lambert. Why do we look terrified every time we take the field?

• Like 1

Give him til January. I just watched the 1st half from the other night again and we started really well and were playing some good football but went to shit when they scored which can be down to confidence after the bad run we had previous to that game.  I still have a small hope that Lambert might get things right here and I'd give him til the end of December to sort it and to see if things improve when we are playing easier teams and have a more forgiving run of fixtures than the 5 we had before QPR.  If we can have a bit of good luck with injuries and get our strongest team out for an extended run then things have to improve, if not, then that will be it for me and my support of Lambert.

Edited by Bunnski

I am not questioning the fact that our football is bad. But good results in the next 2, maybe 3 games will turn the whole thing upside down.

....and lets just say that happens and we go back in to another mini slump.....is that progress?

all this trend is doing is keeping a manager in a very highly paid lifestyle delivering a very topsy turvy service.

are we ever going to wake up....blimey some say Randy hasn't got a clue....i think its spreading to some on the terraces.

• Like 1

Â