Paul Lambert

limpid

If Lambert really wanted one, we'd have one. There's, cumulatively, been enough money there, and he's opted to use it elsewhere

We've got one: Joe Cole. The money spent elsewhere has gone on Cissokho and Sanchez (who fills the position of DM, which most of VT wanted more than an AM). Someone is going to say something about the LB position now. Really unforgiveable that the manager had signed two LB's for the monumental combined sum of nearly four and a half million pounds, and NEITHER of them was any good. Let us now focus on this instance of complete incompetence and not worry about whether a clear majority of Lambert's other signings were any good for the price paid.

Did you miss the bit where P3te mentioned the money spent on players no longer at the club.

If Lambert really wanted one, we'd have one. There's, cumulatively, been enough money there, and he's opted to use it elsewhere

We've got one: Joe Cole. The money spent elsewhere has gone on Cissokho and Sanchez (who fills the position of DM, which most of VT wanted more than an AM). Someone is going to say something about the LB position now. Really unforgiveable that the manager had signed two LB's for the monumental combined sum of nearly four and a half million pounds, and NEITHER of them was any good. Let us now focus on this instance of complete incompetence and not worry about whether a clear majority of Lambert's other signings were any good for the price paid.

Did you miss the bit where P3te mentioned the money spent on players no longer at the club.

Not sure what you mean. I was really just trying to highlight the fact that people often criticise him for his transfer activity, which has been excellent, rather than his tactics and strategy, which may or may not be.

The squad is vastly improved, for much less money (good performance there from Lambert), but he's assembled a group of better players that he's got playing worse than the ones that were in before them.

Yes, he's done a great job getting cost down, BUT that doesn't excuse the fact that he's built a squad that's better than the one he inherited, but he still cannot get the best out of them. Maybe he'd be better as a scout or in a developmental role, because although he seems to be alright at spotting players for good prices it's becoming increasingly apparent he doesn't have the foggiest notion how to use them once they're signed

FWIW, this is an excellent post and one which I (an apparent "Lambert supporter") completely agree with.  The test was always this season.  I've been saying for ages that, for me, he's got until this Christmas.  He's had financial restrictions etc. etc. but this is now a squad that has been developed over 2 seasons - the crap (for the most part) has been rid of.

We should be seeing at least some improvement, but we're currently not.  I'm actually not fussed about losing 5 games in a row given the teams we've played, but the manner of the defeats have been poor.  Similarly, in beating Stoke, we didn't play that well - just shut them out.  Hull and Liverpool were good performances and the ball retention against Q.P.R. was good too.  Outside of that, not much cheer.  Lambert has been unlucky with injures, of course.  We're a side that is massively reliant on Benteke and, whilst this is partly down to transfers etc., I don't particularly blame Lambert for that.  However, the team should still be performing, with the ball, better than it has been.

I don't want Lambert sacked right now and I'd like him to succeed at the club as he seems to be a pretty humble guy with the interests of the club at heart (which seems quite rare these days).  Time is running out though.  There simply has to be an improvement this season and it needs to start now.

Edit:  Although you do say "vastly improved", which is a bit of a stretch I think :D

Two great posts there. It hinges on whether you think he's crap at getting the players to perform, or whether after considering the constraints he's under you come to the same conclusion as I do: The constraints are so great that we still don't really know for sure.

Either way, he's here for a while yet.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

His transfer activity has not been excellent. He's had some good signings and some awful ones - hardly excellent.

If anything he hasn't filled the position/s where we need players hence our inability to score which should have been obvious after our inability to score enough last season.

I agree that he's done brilliantly in the transfer market in a lot of cases. He's signed some real bargains (but then made them look awful with his tactics).

Which is precisely I don't buy in the slightest that a number 10 was ever a priority. That's the only point I was trying to make. Not that he's rubbish in the market, just that I don't buy that he, at any point, had that kind of player high on his radar, mainly because he'd never be able to use one properly

Edited by P3te

I actually think Lambert has been brilliant in the transfer window, unfortunately, motivating the players, coaching them and getting them to win games is his downfall. When you consider that we could have a first team of Guzan, Cissokho, Vlaar, Senderos, Lowton, Westwood, Sanchez, Richardson, Benteke, Cole & Bacuna, costing roughly £21m, that's a pittance for a Premier League eleven. I actually believe that a better manager could get that team to finish mid-table too, so we shouldn't just dismiss Lambert's good transfers because of our current plight.

• Like 3

He's clearly crap at getting the players to perform!

Yeah surely that's clear.

It's clear that the TEAM isn't performing. The debate is whether it's the manager's fault or not. If a mule loses a race against thoroughbreds do you blame the mule trainer? Maybe he is a bad trainer, maybe he isn't, but if he's running a mule in a horse race it's not going to be CLEAR either way.

If it really were clear somehow, I'd want him sacked/not hired in the first place/not even born, just as much as anyone else.

Not sure what you mean. I was really just trying to highlight the fact that people often criticise him for his transfer activity, which has been excellent, rather than his tactics and strategy, which may or may not be.

I meant the point P3te made about money obviously being available, but spent unwisely.

Hence money available for a number 10.

Excellent and brilliant is a bit much to describe his transfers. I think they've been very hit and miss, and yes he's had a tough job to find players but for every good one there's a crap one.

All things considered, though, and with the failures taken into account, he's still managed to put together a decent first team squad for well below market value. That's commendable, if utterly pointless given the lack of performance we're capable of getting from them collectively - but that's a whole other matter

He's clearly crap at getting the players to perform!

Yeah surely that's clear.

It's clear that the TEAM isn't performing. The debate is whether it's the manager's fault or not. If a mule loses a race against thoroughbreds do you blame the mule trainer? Maybe he is a bad trainer, maybe he isn't, but if he's running a mule in a horse race it's not going to be CLEAR either way.

If it really were clear somehow, I'd want him sacked/not hired in the first place/not even born, just as much as anyone else.

We're not running a mule though, we're running a solid middle of the pack horse that keeps finishing towards the rear

• Like 1

- "We don't have quality players" is not valid when we fail at the basics.

- "He was forced to ignore players and put them on the bomb squad" is a lie. Randy does not pick the squad.

- "He is working under financial restrictions" applies to the majority of managers in the premier league.

- "We have injuries" see above.

- "We had a tough run of fixtures" doesn't explain abject defeats to 2 clubs struggling for points.

- "They have a better squad than ours" is not always the case - but our opposition certainly play better football.

- "He should get until Christmas" because somewhere between now and then he will stop doing what he has been doing for over 2 years....

• Like 3

- 9 games, 10 points, 15th in the league.  40 points on current trajectory.

- can beat Liverpool, but lose to QPR.

- bad performances, awful home results.

- good in the transfer market with little money, but poor tactically.

I don't think Lambert should be sacked... at this point in time. YET.

Ok, so lets say we beat Spurs by 2,3 goals after a very good game.

That would mean that so far this season we have beaten teams around us, drew only to Newcastle, beaten liverpool and lost all the games we would have expected to have lost anyways. Add to that, a big slip up against QPR.

If you ask me, anybody would have taken those results back in August. 

My question is, are we all of a sudden going to change our opinion on Lambo?

• Like 1

So during Lambert's time here do you believe the players have been playing to the best of their ability?

Well obviously no player plays to the best of his ability in every game, and the Villa players are no exception. Do I believe the players would be playing closer to the b.o.t.a. under a different manager? I have absolutely no way to know, and nor does anyone else.

Â