Paul Lambert

limpid

However, the results did start to improve and unlike with Lambert, you could actually see game-by-game progression in the team's approach. Where we might have been now had his health problems not resurfaced is certainly one of the biggest 'what ifs' I constantly ponder about.

That was my thinking when comparing him to mcLeish while he was still here.

At least with Houllier you could see the plan. It wasn't working that well, and I do think he tried to change too much too soon. But it was a move towards the better football that everyone is craving.

At least there was a plan.

With McLeish, and I'm sorry to say with lambert, I struggle to see what the plan is. I think Lambert had a plan when he started. But that got lost somewhere. Now I don't know what's going on.

I would argue that McLeish had a plan. It wasn't a pretty one, and it wasn't a good one, but it was a plan. You could tell he was getting the players to kinda do what he wanted - it was just that what he wanted was not good

Lambert, on the other hand, doesn't even seem to have that. You might argue that, by sending similarly shaped teams out every game, there's a plan there, but the fact that the team can play completely differently based on how the wind blows (ball on the floor, passing it around for one half, massive hopeless hoofs for the next) suggests to me that he either doesn't have any philosophy, or he's unable to communicate it to the players. After 2 and a quarter seasons, if it's the first one it's time to go, and if it's the second, it's time to go.

Oh please. Houllier was the one who took over what was basically a top 6 squad and plunged us into a relegation struggle. It was fortunate for him that we picked up a few points before he came and after he was invalided out or we may well have been relegated. He dissed the club, fell out with senior players, made pointless signings like Pires and Makoun and in many matches sent out a squad who clearly had no idea how they were supposed to play. Things certainly would have been different if he'd stayed but not in the way some are suggesting. A poor managerial appointment - unfortunately for us, the start of a pattern.

• Like 2

Houllier would have been kept on but when he gave the plans to Lerner to completely revamp Villa, he wanted to ditch big money players like Warnock, Collins, Dunne, Ireland at that time and knew that these players wouldn't really bring in much income, he then wanted to spend on the likes of Cabaye and Sissoko.

On the idea that there's nobody who could do better, that might be true, but it's also worth considering that some managers just click with some clubs. Right time, right man, right circumstances for success, that weren't suggested before, or weren't continued elsewhere. You can't, on paper, really say with 100% certainty that anyone will do a good job, or a bad job. Look how Norwich played under Lambert, look how Villa play under him. There's nothing there to suggest it's the same manager at all. Conversely both Little and Gregory did fine jobs for the bulk of their respective tenures at Villa, but nothing afterwards. The right man could end up being the last bloke you expect.

Sadly, the make or break decision there lies with the board. They need to talk to candidates, establish their ideas, figure out if they'll work both in terms of ethos and personality, and then make a call. To do that consistently, or arguably even ever, you need someone with footballing nous making, or playing a big part in, the decision.

I don't necessarily believe that you can look at any manage and say "yes, they'll be a success" or "no they won't" without being privy to the discussions that go on behind closed doors during the recruitment process

Houllier had to contend with a major injuries I can remember quite a few matches where we were playing with Bannan and Hoggs as the central midfield. I don't think it was until December that things started to clear up. I would have rather just kept Mcallister than give the job to Mcleish.

Honestly, I think Hughes should've gotten it when MON left. I think things were set up for him to do an alright job (8-10th consistently). The cutbacks weren't taking over then, we spent a bundle on Bent and Makoun, and we had a few of his former players in the squad. We certainly wouldn't have been troubling the top 6 for a while, but I don't think we'd have seen the collapse we witnessed, and he definitely wouldn't be our manager right now. Maybe Martinez?

• Like 2

I dont event think McLeish would argue that he had a plan ;)

Men back and hoof. It was consistent. Lambert plays that for 70 minutes a game, and the other 20 minutes we actually look like we know how to play the sport. Why not do the latter, or try to do it, for all 90 and see what happens.

I hope Lambert has a moment where he just thinks "f*ck it... if they want them to try to play attacking football, I'm done caring, we'll go all out for it, I'm done giving a shite", thinking that it'd prove whatever point he has. The thing is, I think in doing that he'd actually see improvement. Lambert breaking and stopping caring might actually turn it around - I mean properly breaking and properly stopping caring

I dont event think McLeish would argue that he had a plan ;)

Men back and hoof. It was consistent. Lambert plays that for 70 minutes a game, and the other 20 minutes we actually look like we know how to play the sport. Why not do the latter, or try to do it, for all 90 and see what happens.

I hope Lambert has a moment where he just thinks "f*ck it... if they want them to try to play attacking football, I'm done caring, we'll go all out for it, I'm done giving a shite", thinking that it'd prove whatever point he has. The thing is, I think in doing that he'd actually see improvement. Lambert breaking and stopping caring might actually turn it around - I mean properly breaking and properly stopping caring

Like I said, I think Lambert had a plan.

but somewhere along the line it stopped working, or he abandoned it for whatever reason, and he's been flying by the seat of his pants ever since. With terrible results.

Any plan seems to break down when we get the ball in midfield. Nobody knows what to do. And the decade-plus long mystery of nobody in a Villa jersey understanding the basics of off the ball movement is still baffling. How can professional players join the club and suddenly get struck by lead feet syndrome. It's like clockwork. Someone joins, looks promising for a few games, and then forgets how to actually move into space. It's not Lambert, it wasn't McLeish, it wasn't Houllier, it wasn't O'Neill, it wasn't O'Leary. It was all of them. It's been the only consistent feature of Aston Villa since the latter stages of Gregory's tenure, fleeting moments of promise aside.

• Like 1

Lamberts plan, when he signed up was to do what he did to Norwich to us, sign up a load of kids and £2million signings and build up a wave and ride the crest. It worked well at Norwich, its failed miserably here

When you look at he's cheap punts, its just more money pissed up the wall, Bennett, Luna, lowton, bacuna, tonev, helenius,And sylla wont be here much longer, have had minimal impact for us but still we spent £13/14million + wages on them. Lamberts plan A of buying young, hungry and cheap has backfired

Houllier would have been kept on but when he gave the plans to Lerner to completely revamp Villa, he wanted to ditch big money players like Warnock, Collins, Dunne, Ireland at that time and knew that these players wouldn't really bring in much income, he then wanted to spend on the likes of Cabaye and Sissoko.

This is a man who spent £18m+ on Darren Bent.  He might well have got Cabaye, but I'm sure there would have been lots of Makoun type flops as well.

Lamberts destructive influence is not just at first team level it's across the club. That is another reason why he is up there as one of the worst managers to have the honour of being villa manager

• Like 1

This is a man who spent £18m+ on Darren Bent.  He might well have got Cabaye, but I'm sure there would have been lots of Makoun type flops as well.

The problem was never the signing of Bent, he was worth the money, the problem was almost immediately removing the supply line to him

• Like 1

Again Makoun may not have been such a flop had Houllier been heatlhy enough to stay at the club.

I'm not giving Makoun any credit, because he was crap for us. But I think once Houllier left he just gave up and clearly had no interest in playing for us. Had the manager who signed him stayed, he might have had time to adjust and become a decent player.

That's a big "might" admittedly. I guess I'm saying he might not have been as big a flop as he was, had Houllier stayed.

And the biggest problem with Bent was buying a player that can only play one way, and then constructing a team that can't play that way. So whilst Bent isn't absolved of blame for one second, I do think he'd have kept scoring goals if the team recently had resembled the team he signed for.

Edited by Stevo985

Lamberts destructive influence is not just at first team level it's across the club. That is another reason why he is up there as one of the worst managers to have the honour of being villa manager

Have to agree. His bad influence sees our U21's and Academy teams both languishing in the bottom 4 of their respective leagues.

• Like 1

With McLeish, and I'm sorry to say with lambert, I struggle to see what the plan is. I think Lambert had a plan when he started. But that got lost somewhere. Now I don't know what's going on.

I liked the 'young and hungry' idea and do believe that it was a viable blueprint to long-term progression - if executed successfully. Unfortunately Lambert wasted most of his budget on duds who were not particularly young anyway and more importantly, not very good.

There are numerous reasons why he should've been out on his arse already but in my opinion none bigger than when he did a complete u-turn and abandoned his original policy. That was a tacit admission that he has no conviction in his long-term plans and is now just making it up as he goes along. And a directionless manager makes for a directionless club.

Edited by Isa

The thing that worries me after lambert has completely messed our club up he will leave get another job and we will be left to pick up the pieces why not cut our losses now and get rid whilst we still got time to fix things if we leave it too long the whole structure will need knocking down and start again.

Â