Paul Lambert

limpid

If the arguments against Lambert are so strong then why is it that some of the people that are saying he should be sacked have resorted to throwing insults at those who do not their share their point of view?

• Like 1

It baffles me that Lambert agreed to come here if he had any idea of the constraints he was going to work inside.

I think it's because he isn't very bright.

Personal attack because..?

I don't think he's very bright.

Put it this way, if Rodgers was at Villa now, and Lambert was at Liverpool, we'd be higher in the league, and they'd be a lot lower.

I don't think anyone is trying to claim that Lambert is a better manager than Rodgers. If Rodgers had have came to Villa and tried to get us playing decent football straight away like he did with Liverpool, we probably would have had a season similar to the one with Houllier and we may have been relegated. Rodgers at Liverpool is a good fit because they have quality players there already, could have been a disaster here.
Yet he has purchased well in the transfer market and turned Liverpool around in the same period that it has taken lambert to show very little improvement. Again I recognise the difference in budget and player available but Rodgers would have wanted players at our club who can pass and move well and would have made better choices in the transfer market than lambert.

And these cheap players who are good on the ball may have seen us relegated. We may have gone out and bought 2 Makouns because we cant attract a Coutinho. 

Rodgers has one way of playing, and it's a great approach to the game, but you need to have players capable of playing that way. Liverpool struggled in the first half of the season last year whilst adapting this new approach. That's with players like Gerrard, Suarez, Allen, Downing(lol). Imagine how bad we would have been. 

Maybe it would have all been rosy and we would have played fantastic football, but I strongly suspect we would be a lot closer to Wigan than Liverpool.

Yeah thats also a good point but while I feel there might not have been much improvement placement wise we would have been much better to watch with a much better system and style of football to take us forward.

I think most want Lambert to do well and there is still hope that can happen, but you'd be hard pushed to bet on it.

What? He has done well. We don't have a divine right to win every match.

From the starting point of McLeish leaving and the coffers being firmly shut, we've continuously improved.

• Like 4

If all we want is to play turgid football while being happy to stay up, we may as well have kept McLeish.

But it's about progression and building blocks isn't it?

I personally believe if we can make 2 or 3 quality additions  in the summer our first 11 will be pretty competitive. 

The year after we purchase 2 or 3 quality players and then our squad is competitive.

Same again the year after.

As our squad gets better, the football gets better and we start moving up the table. 

If being the operative word there. Go back a year and you will find strikingly similar posts.

Obviously Rodgers.

But it isn't a fair comparison in the slightest.

Why isn't it a fair comparison?
Because like Martinez, he wouldn't want to work under Lerner. Edited by dodgyknees

If all we want is to play turgid football while being happy to stay up, we may as well have kept McLeish.

I personally believe if we can make 2 or 3 quality additions  in the summer our first 11 will be pretty competitive. 

The year after we purchase 2 or 3 quality players and then our squad is competitive.

As our squad gets better, the football gets better and we start moving up the table. 

If being the operative word there. Go back a year and you will find strikingly similar posts.

Yeah exactly.

Those posts would have been along the lines of

Avoid relegation this year

Finish midtable next season

Push on after that.

Isn't that what we've done?

Escaped relegation last year

Looking to finish mid-table this season

Or am I missing something? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Its interesting to see what Martinez has done this season at Everton with very little money, playing decent football along the way.

Yes he started with a stronger squad than Lambert but I do feel Lambert has spent the money without a major plan of how to improve the squad, nearly 2 years in and the spine of the team is not that much better than when he came.

• Like 1

Don't like Lambert, want him gone but the main problem with the club is Lerner and his cronies. I wouldn't let them run a bath.

I find Lambert tactics shocking at times and he doesn't seem to know have to motivate a team consistently every week. Do I think Martinez/Rodgers would have done better yes. Do I think Martinez/Rodgers would have done what they have done at the toffees/plop? No way.

To be fair to Lambert he came in after the debacle of McLeish and Houllier where these imbecilic appointments took us from consistently 6th place to relegation fodder in record times. They signed players for large amounts of cash on big wages who have been financial burdens without providing any return.

Lambert has done very few things well and quite a lot of things poorly. He still persists with making the same mistakes over and over. Yes he works under massive restrictions but he is at best mediocre at taking advantage of the few positives he has to work with.

Things will not change until Lerner does one and I don't think that's anytime soon as he's taken a silk purse and made it into a sows ear and an expensive one at that.   

• Like 1

It baffles me that Lambert agreed to come here if he had any idea of the constraints he was going to work inside.

I think it's because he isn't very bright.

Personal attack because..?

I don't think he's very bright.

Your evidence for such a ridiculous view?

Yeah exactly.

Those posts would have been along the lines of

Avoid relegation this year

Finish midtable next season

Push on after that.

Isn't that what we've done?

Escaped relegation last year

Looking to finish mid-table this season

Or am I missing something? 

You are spot on.  

• Like 1

Martinez started with a much stronger squad and took over at club that had just had the same manager for 11 years. Lambert came into the club off the back of 3 managers in 3 years.

Yet the manager who was at Everton for 11 years has struggled to make the jump in quality while Martinez hasn't. Pretty much in the same way that Lambert has failed in the jump in quality from Norwich to us. Lambert has made very little difference to us from those previous three managers you speak of and that's why some of us are becoming disillusioned.

Â