Paul Lambert

limpid

What is it, 10 defeats at villa park this season ?? Yes 10 !!

Yeah but be fair. There's no way we could have done things different. We had to have club record breaking lows. That's obvious.

And people say they haven't lowered their expectations. Hilarious.

I think our best long term chance of success in the current climate  of football is to steadily rebuild our club on field and off.   I want trophies, league titles, cups, you name it and I'm backing the way we are doing it under Lambert.  There is absolutely no lowering of expectations, just an understanding that the journey will be (at times)  frustrating, bumpy and rocky.  

Stop telling me I've lowered my expectations for Aston Villa F.C. when the complete opposite is true.  

Yeah but be fair. There's no way we could have done things different. We had to have club record breaking lows. That's obvious.

I think our best long term chance of success in the current climate  of football is to steadily rebuild our club on field and off.   I want trophies, league titles, cups, you name it and I'm backing the way we are doing it under Lambert.  There is absolutely no lowering of expectations, just an understanding that the journey will be (at times)  frustrating, bumpy and rocky.  

Stop telling me I've lowered my expectations for Aston Villa F.C. when the complete opposite is true.  

Oh, don't say that.

You didn't expect us to be winning the european cup?

You've lowered your expectations since 1982

• Like 1

Big John, what is it that YOU expect?

Out of interest.

I thought we'd be in a relegation battle last year because of the players we signed. So I expected that but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

This year my expectations were for the club to progress. For the football we ended last season with to continue and to not have to worry about relegation.

What we've had is the football drop to an awful level while seeing pretty much the same results as last season and continuing the worst home form in the history of the club.

Out of interest.

At a guess, loads of money spent on players and thats it. Guarantees success you see EVERY time.
Close.

I think our best long term chance of success in the current climate of football is to steadily rebuild our club on field and off. I want trophies, league titles, cups, you name it and I'm backing the way we are doing it under Lambert. There is absolutely no lowering of expectations, just an understanding that the journey will be (at times) frustrating, bumpy and rocky.

Frustrating and bumpy is putting it lightly. Edited by Big_John_10

Saunders had already been in charge when he got us up into Div 1, and then had a great second (not first) season there  -but then had 3 poorer seasons, where we effectively went nowhere, before our Glory Year.

Right, your definition of "poorer seasons", "effectively" going "nowhere" entailed us finishing 8th, 8th and 7th, while adding quality to the squad, for example John Deehan, Kenny Swain and Gary Shaw,  with a home record of 11 wins/33 goals, 8/37, 11/29 respectively.

Your man has a little way to go before he compares even with Ron Saunders' "wilderness" years. 

So typical of the need for people on here to pick a fight !!!  The ONLY point I was making was that some of those who are for sticking with PL may just think we will see what we all want given time - and I usd Ron as an example of how, by giving him time, he was able to move on, pause, move on...I didn't say anything about wilderness years and wasn't knocking that time.  PURELY saying look how time benfitted him - the Board back then could have said - you are adding players but we are not going up etc etc - but they didn't.  Why they din't could of course be different than the reasons they may have now.

And  - incidentaly  - I remember as clear as day the moans about Deehan, the criticism for selling Gray and Gidman, the 'laziness' of Garry Shaw, the 'why have we bought that lump Withe, and the 'flop' of Geddes - a successful time but all these players were by no means univeersally liked - so again Yes he got the results to back himself up but had the negative voices at the time been listened to a lot of it may not have happened.

And the ONLY point I was making was that you were distorting facts and statistics to support your argument - a common problem on this site.

Stop trying to compare Lambert to Saunders - a comparison that is laughable - and we can stop this discussion.

Out of interest.

I thought we'd be in a relegation battle last year because of the players we signed. So I expected that but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

This year my expectations were for the club to progress. For the football we ended last season with to continue and to not have to worry about relegation.

What we've had is the football drop to an awful level while seeing pretty much the same results as last season and continuing the worst home form in the history of the club.

So surely you've lowered your expectations from, say, 5 years ago?

Out of interest.

Of course I have. Despite me saying it you've still taken this 'lowered expectations' as a better fan kind of comment.

It would be ridiculous to expect us to challenge for the top 4 but in the same way I think its ridiculous to not expect better than relegation battles, awful football and club record breaking home form.

• Like 1

Saunders had already been in charge when he got us up into Div 1, and then had a great second (not first) season there  -but then had 3 poorer seasons, where we effectively went nowhere, before our Glory Year.

Right, your definition of "poorer seasons", "effectively" going "nowhere" entailed us finishing 8th, 8th and 7th, while adding quality to the squad, for example John Deehan, Kenny Swain and Gary Shaw,  with a home record of 11 wins/33 goals, 8/37, 11/29 respectively.

Your man has a little way to go before he compares even with Ron Saunders' "wilderness" years. 

So typical of the need for people on here to pick a fight !!!  The ONLY point I was making was that some of those who are for sticking with PL may just think we will see what we all want given time - and I usd Ron as an example of how, by giving him time, he was able to move on, pause, move on...I didn't say anything about wilderness years and wasn't knocking that time.  PURELY saying look how time benfitted him - the Board back then could have said - you are adding players but we are not going up etc etc - but they didn't.  Why they din't could of course be different than the reasons they may have now.

And  - incidentaly  - I remember as clear as day the moans about Deehan, the criticism for selling Gray and Gidman, the 'laziness' of Garry Shaw, the 'why have we bought that lump Withe, and the 'flop' of Geddes - a successful time but all these players were by no means univeersally liked - so again Yes he got the results to back himself up but had the negative voices at the time been listened to a lot of it may not have happened.

And the ONLY point I was making was that you were distorting facts and statistics to support your argument - a common problem on this site.

Stop trying to compare Lambert to Saunders - a comparison that is laughable - and we can stop this discussion.

But you can't be reading what I said.  I am not comparing Lambert to Saunders, and I have not used or distorted any facts or statistics !!!!!!!  All I have said is Saunders was given time and it worked out for the best !! I must accept that something in my post has led you to a total misunderstanding  - so let me make it clear ................I am not comparing PL to anyone. I am not comparing our results to then.

I am however, trying to say - what I have now said twice - that maybe the people who are supportive of PL think that by giving him time we will benefit.

That is all.

Not saying they are right.

Not saying he is Ron.

Not distorting anything.

Not getting at you .

Just trying a simple reasoned expression, with an example, of why, and that it might not be a wholly lunatic point of view.

• Like 1

Out of interest.

Of course I have. Despite me saying it you've still taken this 'lowered expectations' as a better fan kind of comment.

It would be ridiculous to expect us to challenge for the top 4 but in the same way I think its ridiculous to not expect better than relegation battles, awful football and club record breaking home form.

Blimey I find myself in agreement pretty much over League position 'expectations'.

I think most fans would say our right position is what you have implied here, somewhere between 'outside the Top 4' (I think maybe it would be fair to say 5, or even 6, but there we are), and above the troubles of relegation scraps - which means that we should be between 10th and around about where Newcastle are.

I think I would agree that's where I thought we'd be this year, (and I bet PL and RL did too) and we are under-performing compared to the progress I thought we would make.  I think we were on track until sometime around October/November off the top of my head.

But I take the view that had we beat Newcastle, that would mean we are only 3 points off my 'goal' - which I don't view as a major issue, although fair enough if it is to others.

Now, if we finish worse than that, I will agree we have not progressed.  On the other hand, if we get that, I will be happy that we have. 

If given the same transfer budget as the last two years this summer, I fail to see how we won't improve next season. It's not as if Lambert has only played hoofball with us, when the circumstances are right we have played attacking stuff, we just need an extra bit of quality now. My expectations for next year are top 8, anything around 12th is what I expect this season. The last thing we need now though is the upheaval of getting a new manager having done so much hard work over 2 years.

I think Lambert's say on Hutton situation says it all really. I can't think of another club and manager in the premier league that has to work in these conditions.

Forget telling people they've lowered their expectations, common sense tells you you have to adjust your short term goals to get to your long term goals.

Look at the bigger picture and get an understanding about what has/ is happening at our club.

Anyone expecting a top 8 finish next season under Lambert is going to be disappointed. There is absolutely no evidence that Lambert can make this stella jump from our current position to 8th. This means dislodging Newcastle and Southampton and basically finishing the best of the rest as the top 7 are another league on their own now. Lambert will have us between 10th and 20th based on his history with us.

• Like 1

The same Newcastle that look just as bad as us without Cabaye? They are exactly the same as us with regards to Vlaar. However, we haven't sold our player that makes us play well.

The same Newcastle that (in a Newcastle fan's eyes)

"Debuchy goes
Cisse going
Remy going
de Jong could go back to munchmeballsack
Shola going
Coloccini probably going
Havent replaced Cabaye
Marveaux probably going
Ben Arfa probably going"

Again with this ridiculous 'bigging other teams up'. Let me guess, it's because they're ahead of us in the table? But I thought league position didn't matter? If Newcastle had 4/5 less points right now, they'd be in serious danger. They haven't looked like getting close to winning a game in over a month. 8th/9th/10th is achievable next season. It would have been achievable this year without that awful Christmas run.

So by not accepting it, what are you going to do about it?

Just in case you missed it BJ.
The risk is that what a lot of fans will "do" about it will be lose interest and stop going to matches.

Those who don't share the joy of chanting "We are 12th and that's not so bad."

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

Jesus :rolleyes:

When the summer comes if Randy gives Lambert the same amount of cash he has every summer so far now we have a full squad he is in the clear for moaning from me.

If Lambert spending it on 2 - 4 players rather than 7 or 8 players he is in the immediate clear for moaning from me.

Judging how Lambert will do long term at the club will have to be minor next season with just a couple of higher priced players (expect them to be higher quality of course) and would have to be Major the season after when you would expect him to have signed half a first 11 of those kind of players.

On a side note I have been willing to watch these crappy seasons as things needed to change to try and move forward again. It is that simple.

From next year I expect us to move forward slowly but surely. It is that simple.

Moving forward means playing better football, but more so being more predictable about who we will beat and finishing with more points each year (I don't like league position targets finishing with more points is an easier way to look at it). 

• Like 1

Again with this ridiculous 'bigging other teams up'. Let me guess, it's because they're ahead of us in the table? But I thought league position didn't matter? If Newcastle had 4/5 less points right now, they'd be in serious danger. They haven't looked like getting close to winning a game in over a month. 8th/9th/10th is achievable next season. It would have been achievable this year without that awful Christmas run.

And if my aunty had a pair of bollocks she'd be my uncle. All struggling sides have a what if tale to tell. In fact you've just mentioned another. If Newcastle hadn't had such an awful last month or so they'd be pushing for top 6/7.

We are just 4 points above the drop zone because we are a poor side who have served up dross for much of the season.

• Like 2

Â