Paul Lambert

limpid

I've sat through worse shit than currently on offer, much worse and will still go if we serve up shit next year too.

Which 3 year period was as bad as the last 3 for home supporters?

When we we shit back in the 60's - we were shit struggling home and away, got relegated then relegated again to division 3. The low points of seeing a once great club torn apart and struggling to survive, Well before your time BJ mate, but I assure you it was shit back then - but we bounced back.

Not being as bad as we were 50 years ago isn't much of an excuse for the present malaise under that pair of clowns Lerner and Lambert.

No it's not mate - it's not an excuse but when fans make out that this is the worse they have seen (which given they're young guns compared to an old fart like me) then maybe they need to read back at how bad we were then and realise that it's happened before and we've bounced back! Things won't be bad forever, I am confident we will sooner or later and I believe sooner rather than later!

I didn't say it was about information.

Loads of people watch every game on streams nowadays. If we play shit and lose then you're going to be pissed off regardless of whether or not you're actually there.

I just find this whole argument pretty flawed, and yes it does have a "better fan" tinge to it.

Just to clarify, this isn't a "better fan than you" post, but :

Can I just ask some of the lambert apologists, do you go to the games, particularly at home ? Do you shell out the dollars to watch the shite being dished up week after week, do you sacrifice hours of your weekends to trudge down to villa park in all sorts of weather , knowing in the back of your mind how inept it's going to be. Do you sit there in the cold watching 11 players going through the motions, looking to the bench for guidance, leadership and motivation and getting no return ?

Or do you watch streams , slam the laptop shut after another defeat and get straight back on GTA ? (No offence to GTA)

I think it's far easier to be patient with lambert and his cronies if it's the latter.

I've wondered this also.

I can't imagine regular season ticket holders making excuses for the manager.

I'm a STH - I buy three every year and I can understand why people don't hold Lambert responsible for the ills of the club.

So maybe you need to broaden your imagination.

Do the stats back this up naz ? I mean we've been shocking at home under lambert and I doubt statistically it's ever been this bad

It's not just about being shocking at home - it more than that but people focus on one thing - like we lost to Bradford - well the European Champions of 82 lost to lower league teams, as we lost to many before - what's the big deal (it isn't for me but for many it is!). Just saying people should chill a bit. Things will get better - with or without Lambert and with or without Lerner. Don't let the bastards get you down. The sum (the Villa) is greater than the individual (Lambert and Lerner).

Can I just ask some of the lambert apologists, do you go to the games, particularly at home ? Do you shell out the dollars to watch the shite being dished up week after week, do you sacrifice hours of your weekends to trudge down to villa park in all sorts of weather , knowing in the back of your mind how inept it's going to be. Do you sit there in the cold watching 11 players going through the motions, looking to the bench for guidance, leadership and motivation and getting no return ?

Or do you watch streams , slam the laptop shut after another defeat and get straight back on GTA ? (No offence to GTA)

I think it's far easier to be patient with lambert and his cronies if it's the latter.

I've wondered this also.

I can't imagine regular season ticket holders making excuses for the manager.

I'm a STH - I buy three every year and I can understand why people don't hold Lambert responsible for the ills of the club.

So maybe you need to broaden your imagination.

Did lambert sign the players, does he set the "tactics", does he make the odd substitutions etc etc etc ?

And yes, he's had money, not loads but enough to be doing better

I've sat through worse shit than currently on offer, much worse and will still go if we serve up shit next year too.

Which 3 year period was as bad as the last 3 for home supporters?

When we we shit back in the 60's - we were shit struggling home and away, got relegated then relegated again to division 3. The low points of seeing a once great club torn apart and struggling to survive, Well before your time BJ mate, but I assure you it was shit back then - but we bounced back.

I can well imagine it was very shit then.

However during the entire 60's the least amount of home wins in a season was 7. In fact there were only 2 years in the 60's where home fans saw fewer than 10 league wins. This year we have won 3. Last year we won 5 and the year before we won 4.

Also during the 60's 9 league defeats was the club record for most in a season. We equalled that last year and could well see it beat this year. We've lost 10 games at home in all competitions this year which I believe is a club record.

Not being as bad as we were 50 years ago isn't much of an excuse for the present malaise under that pair of clowns Lerner and Lambert.

No it's not mate - it's not an excuse but when fans make out that this is the worse they have seen (which given they're young guns compared to an old fart like me) then maybe they need to read back at how bad we were then and realise that it's happened before and we've bounced back! Things won't be bad forever, I am confident we will sooner or later and I believe sooner rather than later!

That's an incredibly naïve view.  Football's changed enormously, and it was a much more level playing field back then.  Now you need a wealthy owner prepared to spend and a good manager.  We have neither.

Season ticket holder for 5 years. I go to all home games and plenty of away games. 

I still support Lambert. 

Season ticket holder for 5 years. I go to all home games and plenty of away games.

I still support Lambert.

I'm not sure the original question was about support. I mean we all support the manager to some extent. We all want him to do well and I doubt any of us shout abuse at him at games.

I took the original point to be more about defending the performances and results than just having support for the manager.

If McLeish hadn't been the previous manager and if we hadn't been through 3 managers in the previous 3 years I think Lambert would have been long gone.

I think he's been very fortunate with the timing of his appointment.

I still support Lambert.

I'm not sure the original question was about support. I mean we all support the manager to some extent. We all want him to do well and I doubt any of us shout abuse at him at games.

I took the original point to be more about defending the performances and results than just having support for the manager.

If McLeish hadn't been the previous manager and if we hadn't been through 3 managers in the previous 3 years I think Lambert would have been long gone.

I think he's been very fortunate with the timing of his appointment.

Fortunate? Yeah he's been really fortunate to have to clear up this mess. You're talking like he's taken over a title winning team that just wasn't performing. Edited by The_Lions_Roar
  • Like 2

I think his third year is the one to really judge him on - I've seen enough to be convinced that he can do well for us in time, as we've seen some really nice football being played at times (alongside some torrid stuff this season). There is something there in my opinion, but next year is the kick on year - as I said I'll give him until Christmas, there are no excuses further than that on the proviso that he gets backed with roughly 20mil this summer.

I really want to believe in that post, I really do.

I don' t want to see him sacked, I want to see him get some progress out of individual players.

Ps I've already posted my interpretation of giving managers time....None of us want to keep changing managers, because we all know longevity has it's benefits, but only if the manager shows progress, despite all that, if they aren't up to it they have to go.....sentiment or not.

Edited by TRO

Summary of Lambert interview on Sky....

I love the club.

We have progressed?

Lerner an Faulkner are great.

We need to be shit, sorry, go back to go forward.

Benteke is fantastic an will find his form.

We will be ok cause we can create??

We are following the German way.

We will continue to buy shit, sorry, be careful with transfer funds.....

I see a lot people drawing reference to players and teams from different eras, it is totally different now. Furthermore, It is sickening to see Villa fans write off players at such a young age, it is unlike us.

Detail changes in time , the principles remain much the same.

Aston villa was great team in the 1930's because we attracted good managers who attracted the better players.....what has changed....the relevant stuff is still the same......they wasn't t eating pukka pies in the 30's though, but rattles were all the rage.

Â