Paul Lambert

limpid

A signing 'flopping' isn't always to do with money either.

Lamela

Soldado

Cornelius

Osvaldo

Huge money signings that have flopped hard.

of course it isn't and equally some cheap signings can be major quality additions

• Yorke
  • McGrath
  • Platt
  • Eghiogu
  • Gray
  • Evans
  • Bremner
  • Morley
  • Rimmer
  • Cropley

its about talent spotting and coaching as much as money.....but I accept the modern day is a bit more difficult, but not impossible....its about having the right backroom staff.

You can have all the aspirations you want TRO but you have to be realistic given the current situation and be prepared to be wait for a team to be built - there's no other way at the moment.

I have all the patience in the world.....its about people at the club having the Nous to know what is being dished up is ok or not ok and forming some semblance of progression....I can't put it any simpler.

Time on its own will deliver nothing, there has to be substance to go with it for time to be meaningful or relevant.....with the wrong manager, you will wait for ever....not saying at this point Lambert is.

but,right now I am starting to have my doubts about Paul Lambert, not because I think he has had a bit of a stinking time clearing up other managers mess.....but because i see no individual progress in his younger players with the exception of probably Delph.... 2 years of status quo for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think his third year is the one to really judge him on - I've seen enough to be convinced that he can do well for us in time, as we've seen some really nice football being played at times (alongside some torrid stuff this season). There is something there in my opinion, but next year is the kick on year - as I said I'll give him until Christmas, there are no excuses further than that on the proviso that he gets backed with roughly 20mil this summer.

• Like 3

I'd be surprised if more than 50% of managers signings turn out to be classed as a success. The fact that lbert signed so many players in such a short period just highlights them more than usual.

Correct. He needed to make wholesale changes to the squad that he inherited, we were a total mess. 

Last year was just about the biggest mess we'd seen, we were a shambles.  Now we're just dismal to watch.

I guess you were content and happy with McLeish's squad?

What is it, 10 defeats at villa park this season ?? Yes 10 !! Absolutely appalling, lambert and his inept coaching squad, ridiculous tactics and collection of lower league plodders have largely been a disgrace to the club. Budget restrictions or not, some of the fayre dished up under lambert has been abysmal considering the resources he's been given. A new manager with a fresh approach cannot come soon enough.

What is it, 10 defeats at villa park this season ?? Yes 10 !!

Yeah but be fair. There's no way we could have done things different. We had to have club record breaking lows. That's obvious.

And people say they haven't lowered their expectations. Hilarious.

Yeah but be fair. There's no way we could have done things different. We had to have club record breaking lows. That's obvious.

That's got **** all to do with expectations.

• Like 1

Of course it has. We have fans who have accepted club record lows as part of the rebuilding process.

Saunders had already been in charge when he got us up into Div 1, and then had a great second (not first) season there  -but then had 3 poorer seasons, where we effectively went nowhere, before our Glory Year.

Right, your definition of "poorer seasons", "effectively" going "nowhere" entailed us finishing 8th, 8th and 7th, while adding quality to the squad, for example John Deehan, Kenny Swain and Gary Shaw,  with a home record of 11 wins/33 goals, 8/37, 11/29 respectively.

Your man has a little way to go before he compares even with Ron Saunders' "wilderness" years. 

So typical of the need for people on here to pick a fight !!!  The ONLY point I was making was that some of those who are for sticking with PL may just think we will see what we all want given time - and I usd Ron as an example of how, by giving him time, he was able to move on, pause, move on...I didn't say anything about wilderness years and wasn't knocking that time.  PURELY saying look how time benfitted him - the Board back then could have said - you are adding players but we are not going up etc etc - but they didn't.  Why they din't could of course be different than the reasons they may have now.

And  - incidentaly  - I remember as clear as day the moans about Deehan, the criticism for selling Gray and Gidman, the 'laziness' of Garry Shaw, the 'why have we bought that lump Withe, and the 'flop' of Geddes - a successful time but all these players were by no means univeersally liked - so again Yes he got the results to back himself up but had the negative voices at the time been listened to a lot of it may not have happened.

• Like 1

And as for this 'record lows' obsession - if we had our record Highest Win this weekend, it would not mean everything was great

Likewise a record Low doesn't mean everything is rubbish. 

Again, for the more hyper - not 'defending', or 'pro Randy', etc, just pointing out a bit of reason.

tumblr_lx9b05L6WK1qav8ybo1_500.gif

• Like 1

And the 'expectations' thing.

I always thought a fan was about hope. And despair.

Expectations pretty much encapsulates the 'I've paid my money Iwant Iwant..' approach to so much of modern life.

Some of you moaning about people having lowered - compared to what ? - expectations are as old as me.

Did you really go down the Villa all these years with 'expectations' (or 'my minimum requirement', as it seems to be becoming) of where we would finish and how we would play ?

Everyone I went with, and still go with, has never expressed anything like that.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

I agree what is happening in the here and now arguably has f all to do with your expectations as a supporter going forward.

I think in terms of the here and now though there has been a lowering of what is acceptable and what we are prepared to make excuses for.

It is only 4 years ago that for many a top 6 finish, a cup final, a semi-final and playing in the UEFA Cup was considered not good enough.

Now some of us are bending over backwards to find reasons/excuses for the fact that under Lambert we are again almost three quarters of the way through the season and find ourselves within spitting distance of the bottom three, serving up dire football with a home record that is as bad as it has ever been. We were all up in arms with some of the tripe served up under McLeish but some of the football this season has come close to being on a par with that.

I don't blame Lambert solely for what we are currently being served up by the way. Much of the blame falls at Lerner's and Faulkner's door. However just as with this thread you go into the Lerner thread and there are mitigating circumstances being bandied out as to why we need to accept what is happening and that it is somebody else's fault.

There comes a point when saying we get through this year and things will be better next year becomes just simply kidding ourselves. The club themselves are masters at making pretty bold statements just before season ticket renewal time. I remember hearing an interview with Paul Faulkner talking with Pat Murphy just after McLeish had been kicked into touch. He stated that the club would not have to endure another season like the one they just had. You know what two years down the line we find ourselves in almost the same position having endured just as bad a season in 12/13 as we had in 11/12.

This jam tomorrow coming from the club and some supporters is now wearing very thin and is quite frankly simply b*llshiting others and perhaps more importantly ourselves.

• Like 2

Some people on here should really be taking into a back alley and be repedatly get beaten with a baseball bat to the face. Just unreal how this just goes in circles constantly, get the **** over it. Some people are CONTENT with how things are going because they see the problems we have and have been having the last couple of years. There is only acceptance in our problems, which really seems to get overlooked if it suits the argument.

No one is dreaming of relegation battles, it seems like people expected us to become something similar to what Southampton became this season. AND SACKING IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER FOLKS. Haha, oh yeah someone mind showing me a manager who came in mid season and took them to CL? When did that happen? Or did it the following year? Because the only time I see that is when teams like Chelsea change the manager, not us. No offence but it seems like some of the media spin that comes out really gets to some people here, I can`t really see what else it can be.

and my post was shit but I am getting pissed off, not only this thread but the same stuff is regurgitated over and over and over and over

Â