Paul Lambert

limpid

Agreed Mark this seasons progress is non-existent IMO. At least last year we were fairly entertaining.

Lambert is not making any progress that's why I would change manager in the summer.

And people who say we have had worse times and been relegated but we haven't in the Premier League era where the financial penalties for relegation are much higher than when we used to rely on just the gate receipts? 

People really do underestimate the mess we were in before Lambert arrived.

I don't think you could be more wrong. I think everyone appreciates the mess we were in. The thing many of us are struggling with is the fact 20 months down the line we have seen no progression. We battled relegation last season finishing on 41 points. Almost three quarters of the way through this season we sit on 28 points 4 points above the relegation zone. Unless we have a major upturn or downturn in form we will finish with in 2 or 3 points either way on what we did last season. Players individually and the club as a whole have stood still. In fact in terms of performances we have gone backwards.

I understand most are disappointed with results and our current league position but you need to look at the bigger picture. It was always going to be about survival in Lambert's first two seasons, I agree it is not good enough for a club of our size but it is a building block to get us back to where we truly belong. Your disappointment is misplaced, Lambert deserves credit not criticism. 

It's possible for the team to perform below my expectations but for me not to be totally enraged and furious about it.

Fair enough, I probably shouldn't have suggested you personally have lowered your expectations.
Which is exactly the problem with you throwing that bullshit phrase around.I defend the manager. He's performing below my expectations this season.Sometimes there are explanations for things that aren't excuses.Am I happy with Paul Lambert? Not entirely.But I still back him, and I'll defend him when I feel it's necessary.None of this is because my expectations have been lowered. I just don't believe in this cut off that if someone is performing below expectations you automatically have to want them out.I believe that he can turn us around. Like I've said before, that may be wrong. But it doesn't make me some sort of blind follower or Lambert sympathiser just because I don't want him sacked because he hasn't quite lived up to my expectations.

It's possible for the team to perform below my expectations but for me not to be totally enraged and furious about it.

Fair enough, I probably shouldn't have suggested you personally have lowered your expectations.
Which is exactly the problem with you throwing that bullshit phrase around.I defend the manager. He's performing below my expectations this season.Sometimes there are explanations for things that aren't excuses.Am I happy with Paul Lambert? Not entirely.But I still back him, and I'll defend him when I feel it's necessary.None of this is because my expectations have been lowered. I just don't believe in this cut off that if someone is performing below expectations you automatically have to want them out.I believe that he can turn us around. Like I've said before, that may be wrong. But it doesn't make me some sort of blind follower or Lambert sympathiser just because I don't want him sacked because he hasn't quite lived up to my expectations.

I agree. I think it's fine to be unhappy with how he's performing but believe he will do better. I don't share that belief or see where you get it from but that's fine.

However there are fans who think he's doing a good job, there are fans that think no other manager could do better. There are fans who excuse most things and there are fans who have no problem with how the owner currrently runs the club and there are those that simply shrug off mistakes made in the past by the owner.

There are fans who have lowered their expectations.

Just to clarify, this isn't a "better fan than you" post, but :

Can I just ask some of the lambert apologists, do you go to the games, particularly at home ? Do you shell out the dollars to watch the shite being dished up week after week, do you sacrifice hours of your weekends to trudge down to villa park in all sorts of weather , knowing in the back of your mind how inept it's going to be. Do you sit there in the cold watching 11 players going through the motions, looking to the bench for guidance, leadership and motivation and getting no return ?

Or do you watch streams , slam the laptop shut after another defeat and get straight back on GTA ? (No offence to GTA)

I think it's far easier to be patient with lambert and his cronies if it's the latter.

I've wondered this also.

I can't imagine regular season ticket holders making excuses for the manager.

but you need to look at the bigger picture. It was always going to be about survival in Lambert's first two seasons

Not a single fan expressed this view when he first joined. In fact you were mocked for suggesting we would be in relegation battle last season. One fan said we had as much chance of finishing 6th.

Just to clarify, this isn't a "better fan than you" post, but :

Can I just ask some of the lambert apologists, do you go to the games, particularly at home ? Do you shell out the dollars to watch the shite being dished up week after week, do you sacrifice hours of your weekends to trudge down to villa park in all sorts of weather , knowing in the back of your mind how inept it's going to be. Do you sit there in the cold watching 11 players going through the motions, looking to the bench for guidance, leadership and motivation and getting no return ?

Or do you watch streams , slam the laptop shut after another defeat and get straight back on GTA ? (No offence to GTA)

I think it's far easier to be patient with lambert and his cronies if it's the latter.

So because I'm a student who lives 4 hours away from Birmingham, my view are less valid? Watching on TV and streams is the only way I can watch Villa anymore, but because I don't/can't go to games, my patience means less?

Bollocks.

I'm going this weekend as it's my first chance to got in three years, so will my patience be valid come Monday if I still believe Lambert is the right/best man for the job currently?

And just to clarify, any sentence that starts with "This isn't/I'm not, but..." usually is.

• Like 4

but you need to look at the bigger picture. It was always going to be about survival in Lambert's first two seasons

Not a single fan expressed this view when he first joined. In fact you were mocked for suggesting we would be in relegation battle last season. One fan said we had as much chance of finishing 6th.

Opinions change over time, I think looking back it was always going to be about staying in the division.

Opinions change over time, I think looking back it was always going to be about staying in the division.

For 2 years? With the football getting worse and the home form the worst in the clubs history.

People really do underestimate the mess we were in before Lambert arrived.

I don't think you could be more wrong. I think everyone appreciates the mess we were in. The thing many of us are struggling with is the fact 20 months down the line we have seen no progression. We battled relegation last season finishing on 41 points. Almost three quarters of the way through this season we sit on 28 points 4 points above the relegation zone. Unless we have a major upturn or downturn in form we will finish with in 2 or 3 points either way on what we did last season. Players individually and the club as a whole have stood still. In fact in terms of performances we have gone backwards.

I understand most are disappointed with results and our current league position but you need to look at the bigger picture. It was always going to be about survival in Lambert's first two seasons, I agree it is not good enough for a club of our size but it is a building block to get us back to where we truly belong. Your disappointment is misplaced, Lambert deserves credit not criticism. 

Oh that old chestnut. Anyone that doesn't agree with your opinion and is questioning the abilities of the manager doesn't see the bigger picture. Really :-) what a load of bollocks.

We are not talking about Lambert having been here for a few months. This is now very much the team he has built. Now I will be the first in line to slam the owner and say he hasn't backed the manager sufficiently but come on 40 odd mill and 20 months down the line we should not be serving up the tripe we have been and be so devoid of ideas especially at home. We have not progressed its as simple as that.

Would giving the manager another 20, 30, 40 mill and loosening the purse strings on the wages help yes I am sure it would but I am not sure as things stand he has shown enough to warrant taking the chance on giving it to him.

For 2 years? With the football getting worse and the home form the worst in the clubs history.

Our home form is not good enough but it was hardly fantastic before Lambert's arrival. It it going to take a lot longer than 18 months to fix our home record, it could take years whoever is in charge.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I think it's a fair point. I've watched poor away games on tv and i'm not as frustrated or pissed off as the poor home games i attend.

So people who don't go to the games shouldn't have their views taken as seriously?

I don't think that was the original point being made.

Progress or not boils down to personal opinion at the end of the day.

For all the we’ve not progressed there is the our defence is better and we could still finish higher than last season.

If that happens then its there in black and white.

If investment happens in the summer or not we’ll see were are and only then. No investment of a few decent players and it will be season upon season like this, which i doubt even Lambert wants so he’ll leave.

• Like 2

I think it's a fair point. I've watched poor away games on tv and i'm not as frustrated or pissed off as the poor home games i attend.

So people who don't go to the games shouldn't have their views taken as seriously?

I don't think that was the original point being made.

It was very much what was implied.

The whole point of "it's easier to patient if you don't go to games", was very much in the manner of, if you went to games you'd be much more unhappy, which implies that if you don't go to games your patience is less valid.

It implies people are only patient because they don't/can't go to games.

People who pay their money, take a day out to go to games, and then have to sit there watching that shit, all the while being mocked by away fans, will surely take it harder than those of us watching on a laptop. Just like the highs when you win are higher if you are at a game, the lows are lower. And I speak as an armchair fan who has only been to one game this season. It's not about being a better or worse fan.

Edited by stwefano
  • Like 1

Progress or not boils down to personal opinion at the end of the day.

Does it?

So facts and evidence can't be used to judge progress?

At the end of the season it does and only then.

Don’t forget that when we have more points a higher position along with less goals conceded when your pissing and moaning.

Oh that old chestnut. Anyone that doesn't agree with your opinion and is questioning the abilities of the manager doesn't see the bigger picture. Really :-) what a load of bollocks.

The financial side of things at the club have improved significantly since Lambert has been at the club. He was instructed to cut and chop the wage bill down to a sustainable level and build a younger squad during the process. Whether you like it or not, survival was the first priority in the first two seasons. We were very close to becoming the next Leeds United, very close! The "bigger picture" is primarily the financial health of the club, we are in a much better place than two years ago and that is due to Lambert's management.

I know why you are upset. I totally understand and appreciate your reasoning, it perfectly fine to disagree with me based on results and performances, at the end of the day you paying hard earned money to watch the team on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

Â