Paul Lambert

limpid

You are not convinced Lambert is doing a good job because the job is not finished yet. It will be better to judge him (properly) at the end of next season.

So do you reckon the job will be 'finished' at the end of next season and, if so, what will 'finished' look like?
I expect us to be consistently in the top 10 and pushing towards the top 8 next season.
We all expected that this season, and last season as well. Will you be peddling this excuse this time next year as well?

You expected top 10 last season? Streuth.

I think you've forgotten you're actually an Aston Villa fan not a Stoke or a Fulham or Small Heath one. Looks like Lerner/Faulkner's trick of lowering fans expectations has worked.

Take 3 steps backwards then 1 step forward then call it progress.

Self-entitled claptrap.

I know how dare he have some pride and expectation, the scandal.

Self-entitled claptrap.

That's not really the point though. Anyway, the bloke accused me of 'forgetting that I'm a villa fan'. Pretty unnecessary really.

You are not convinced Lambert is doing a good job because the job is not finished yet. It will be better to judge him (properly) at the end of next season.

So do you reckon the job will be 'finished' at the end of next season and, if so, what will 'finished' look like?
I expect us to be consistently in the top 10 and pushing towards the top 8 next season.
We all expected that this season, and last season as well. Will you be peddling this excuse this time next year as well?

You expected top 10 last season? Streuth.

I think you've forgotten you're actually an Aston Villa fan not a Stoke or a Fulham or Small Heath one. Looks like Lerner/Faulkner's trick of lowering fans expectations has worked.

Self-entitled claptrap.

Indeed.

I think Stefan is the ideal fan for Lerner. It's a 'nodding dog' mentality that quite frankly I'll never understand. Ellis was slaughtered for years for his apparent lack of ambition. Then Lerner turns up and turns us into perennial relegation fodder and some fans are delighted with it.

No pride or ambition for the club, and that's just some of the fans.

Lerner showed all the ambition in the world but it failed and he and we are paying for it. Nobody is delighted by it, I hate seeing the club underachieving but that doesn't mean good decisions haven't been made amongst the bad, or that the future isn't something worth looking forward to.

• Like 4

Lerner showed all the ambition in the world but it failed and he and we are paying for it. Nobody is delighted by it, I hate seeing the club underachieving but that doesn't mean good decisions haven't been made amongst the bad, or that the future isn't something worth looking forward to.

What's to look forward to under Lerner? Do you really think he'll change his 'young and hungry' policy of buy cheap garbage from the lower leagues and abroad and overnight start buying Premier standard players who'll demand Premier wages?

I think you're in for a shock, mate.

Self-entitled claptrap.

Indeed.

I think Stefan is the ideal fan for Lerner. It's a 'nodding dog' mentality that quite frankly I'll never understand. Ellis was slaughtered for years for his apparent lack of ambition. Then Lerner turns up and turns us into perennial relegation fodder and some fans are delighted with it.

You're totally right. I'm absolutely delighted and thrilled with the football I get to watch every week! God I love our home record, it's totally awesome. Relegation battles are my dream!!!

Absolutely ludicrous statement.

• Like 2

Self-entitled claptrap.

Indeed.

You're totally right. I'm absolutely delighted and thrilled with the football I get to watch every week! God I love our home record, it's totally awesome. Relegation battles are my dream!!!

Absolutely ludicrous statement.

All the problems we have at the club and you're the first to jump to defend the owner and manager from any criticism.

Something doesn't add up.

What's to look forward to under Lerner? Do you really think he'll change his 'young and hungry' policy of buy cheap garbage from the lower leagues and abroad and overnight start buying Premier standard players who'll demand Premier wages?

I still don't really want players like you suggest. Splitting £20m or so on 3 or 4 players from Europe will go a long way. Our problem has been spending below £3m each on lots of players to fill the squad, hopefully that stage is over.

What on earth on you on about?

If you actually read any of my posts, you'd see that I'm neither pro or anti Lambert.  The furthest I've gone to 'defend Lambert' lately is saying that I wouldn't get rid of him for Laudrup, which is hardly a glowing endorsement.

I've never defended Lerner. Ever. Please find any posts where I've defended the owner. I personally dislike Lerner.

Keep creating awful strawmen arguments though.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I still don't really want players like you suggest. Splitting £20m or so on 3 or 4 players from Europe will go a long way. Our problem has been spending below £3m each on lots of players to fill the squad, hopefully that stage is over.

Wages is what attracts Premier League standard players. That's what our problem is, and until we change this ludicrous YTS style wage structure we'll continue to be relegation fodder.

What on earth on you on about?

If you actually read any of my posts, you'd see that I'm neither pro or anti Lambert.  The furthest I've gone to 'defend Lambert' lately is saying that I wouldn't get rid of him for Laudrup, which is hardly a glowing endorsement.

I've never defended Lerner. Ever. Please find any posts where I've defended the owner. I personally dislike Lerner.

Keep creating awful strawmen arguments though.

Well I must have dreamt all those posts defending the club from any criticism. The forum is full of them.

Yes, there are certain posters defending Lambert and Lerner, but I'm (and certainly not the latter) not one of them.

You directly say TO ME "All the problems we have at the club and you're the first to jump to defend the owner and manager from any criticism."

You're just making things up.

I'll repeat just in case you missed it. I have never defended Lerner from anything. I don't like the bloke to be honest. And my personal view on Lambert is that he's not as savvy as he likes to think tactically, but he's had his hands tied financially. He's done an extremely average job. Could we do better? Possibly. But I'm wary of more upheaval. If that's 'defending' somebody, then it's lucky I haven't got my hopes set on being a barrister.

Edited by StefanAVFC

West Ham were 18th 3 days ago and are now above us

All it takes is another side to beat a relegation rival and pick up points elsewhere to leapfrog others in the table it is that tight

This training camp is a gamble it could be a success but at the same time didn't MON take us on one once and we didn't win a game for the whole of March?

Every time i watch Villa at the minute i end up with no nails or fingers at the end of a game

Edited by AshVilla

Ive had to catch up today as been out all day with no access. Summary as I see it is there is maybe 1.5 fans on this thread that still have belief in Lambert!  Pretty poor I would say.

Problem for me is, he should have built on the passing, entertaining football he started with at the begining of the season against Arsenal, Man City, Liverplop. Instead we have digressed from that and to me this isn't progress. You can compare from last season where there might be a little progression (although very hard to notice), but the real comparison should be from the start of the season onwards and looking at this, we have got worst and lost all the entertainment and ability to win games with confidence. Im finding it very hard to understand what is being coached into these players, because I dont think Lambert has trust in them to play the type of football we started the season with.

If the one fan on here still 100% supports Lambert I respect it, but surely you have to question the coaching of Culverhouse and co. They are turning this team into the team we saw on day one of Lambert signing. They have been playing long enough now together to be able to pass and run into positons and know where there team mates will be. but most of them just seem so static like they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. I blame lambert for changing formations, tactics much to frequent for this, he knows they are young and inexperienced, so why does he not stick with 1 or 2 formations so the squad can get used to playing this way instead of constantly changing every game???

Whatever view you have please dont assume things like this.  It could be - in my case certainly is - that some pro Lambert fans no longer wissh to have the same debate over and over again with largely the same 2 or 3 people (and they may feel the same way !!)

I am not going to kee pposting just to prove I still favour PL as Manager, and I have mates who feel the same.  The Interent is ALWAYS likely to draw those with something to complain about (not saying they aren't justified or anything) than those who aren't complaining.

It does get wearisome having largely the same argument. Those who think we need to give hiim time are obviously never going to agree withthose who think his time is up.

So I remain a supporter of keepimng the Manager, and will do right through the season, no matter what happens in the games, for the reasons I  - and others  - have said over and over - but I wont keep posting it !!!

Nobody -  as far as I know - is happy at the rate we are progressing - but the difference is some think it better to stay with a guy they still have some faith or belief in rather than the upheaveal and Square One approach.  As to why some think he is ok and some dont, well it seems to me a common trait of those who want rid is they think, or 'know' he could have bought better, and/or had better tactics - in other words they know stuff that the likes of me are prepared to say we dont know.  The country is full of fans who think player X is a waste of time, but he still gets picked by the Manager, at national level we have had Darren Anderton, Heskey etc, where every fan in a pub will agree they are u/s but every Manager picks them, so I am dont think it really holds water that some dont like players XYZ - I can pull up loads of quotes from posters on here to the effect that Petrov was a waste of space in game after game for an example closer to home.

I see after almost every game - as recently as West Ham, Cardiff away, Everton away.....the list goes on.....people saying 'we should have won that' or 'we should beat them at home' etc - if you put even just a couple of these together we would almost be level with Man United - now those who do not want rid of PL are also maybe those who dont think it IS reasonable to expect us to be at that level yet.

Is the coaching awful ?  Well the Hammers fans were saying that about Allerdyce a few weeks ago, now he has won 3 in 3......Newcastle fans thought they were heading for Top 6 a few weeks ago, now ...?   Arsenal were world beaters, as were Man City - now listen to their fans.  So those who are ok with things maybe think that defensive errors, tactical mistakes, and strikers who miss chances, are all part of the game.

I am as baffled as anyone as to why PL abandons what appears to be a more energetic, pacy, passing style, on a regular basis, for a variety of other styles - but I simply dont go for the idea that he is clueless etc - it just seems such a silly presumption.

You may be right that the reason the Team struggle to pass and move is the constant  changing formation - but if you know that, maybe he knows that, and does it anyway, maybe not because he is mad, but has a reason ?  Another Manager and set of coaches would do other baffling things..(.remember MON always taking Shorey off after 60 minutes )

So, one can be a supporter of PL without always replying to the constant criticism, and whilst still being fed up when we play poorly, and still being puzzled over certain choices, or still being unconvinced by some players.  Because we may think we DO agree with the cull, that we dont necessarily know who better we could have got or not got, that we may not be the tactical geniuses we like to think we are, and that amidst the sometimes dross - just like lots of other sides play dross - there are enough signs that he may be just what we need.

• Like 4

Level on points with Swansea in 10th and 4 points above Sunderland in 18th (who have a game in hand).

Lets sack Lambert and bring in Laudrup instead.

Call it progress.

You say this like 4 points behind 18th who have a game in hand is a strong position.

Sunderland away to Man City? I know who the overriding favourites would be.

Â