Paul Lambert

limpid

You are not convinced Lambert is doing a good job because the job is not finished yet. It will be better to judge him (properly) at the end of next season.

So do you reckon the job will be 'finished' at the end of next season and, if so, what will 'finished' look like?

I expect us to be consistently in the top 10 and pushing towards the top 8 next season.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

You are not convinced Lambert is doing a good job because the job is not finished yet. It will be better to judge him (properly) at the end of next season.

So do you reckon the job will be 'finished' at the end of next season and, if so, what will 'finished' look like?

I expect us to be consistently in the top 10 and pushing towards the top 8 next season.

We all expected that this season, and last season as well. Will you be peddling this excuse this time next year as well?

Completely agree. Some things that really grate...

Throwins ALWAYS go to the opposition

Goal kicks ALWAYS aim for Benteke who gets surrounded by 3/4 men

We have no clue how to break down teams that sit back

How Bennett still gets in the starting 11

• Like 1

Are you forgetting Djemba-Djemba? or Ghrayib? Even Isaiah Osbourne played for us a few times.

Tonev isn't great, but he is not the worst player to play for Villa.

Based on what I've seen so far Tonev is definitely worse than Osbourne and Djemba-Djemba.

Tonev is quite dreadful. Yet another awful cheap and nasty signing from Paul Lambert.

We all expected that this season, and last season as well. Will you be peddling this excuse this time next year as well?

The majority of people in the "Where do you think we'll finish" thread predicted mid table actually, where we are, and I'm pretty sure the majority last season also predicted a relegation battle, hence the relegation thread that popped up about 6 games into the season.

• Like 4

I guess that's where we differ.  What I thought were realistic goals were for the first year, stay up.  (Check)  For this year, to be mid-table  (right where we are)  Next year, top half.

I'm happy with that progress.  You, apparently are not.  Having said that.... GOOD GRIEF it's painful to watch sometimes.

Well if that's 'job finished' then that's a pretty poor effort.

The majority of people in the "Where do you think we'll finish" thread predicted mid table actually, where we are, and I'm pretty sure the majority last season also predicted a relegation battle, hence the relegation thread that popped up about 6 games into the season.

Many people also got heavily criticised last yr for saying we would be in a relegation battle

Why? 

Why? 

Because if being consistently in the top 10 and pushing for top 8 next season is the climax of all Lambert's work then that is a significant step backwards from where we were a few years ago and shows no ambition or desire whatsoever.

Most people expected at the start of the season to be where we are currently. I am not peddling any excuse, I am just trying to look at Lambert being realistic. It makes no real difference to me if Lambert is the manager or not, I will still follow the club.  :)

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Because if being consistently in the top 10 and pushing for top 8 next season is the climax of all Lambert's work then that is a significant step backwards from where we were a few years ago and shows no ambition or desire whatsoever.

I said next season, I think if we are in the top 10 consistently (next season) and pushing towards the top eight that is progress. The long term goal would be competing for a Champions League place again.

You expected top 10 last season? Streuth.

• Like 1

I think you've forgotten you're actually an Aston Villa fan not a Stoke or a Fulham or Small Heath one. Looks like Lerner/Faulkner's trick of lowering fans expectations has worked.

Take 3 steps backwards then 1 step forward then call it progress.

Edited by avfc1982

Ive had to catch up today as been out all day with no access. Summary as I see it is there is maybe 1.5 fans on this thread that still have belief in Lambert!  Pretty poor I would say.

Problem for me is, he should have built on the passing, entertaining football he started with at the begining of the season against Arsenal, Man City, Liverplop. Instead we have digressed from that and to me this isn't progress. You can compare from last season where there might be a little progression (although very hard to notice), but the real comparison should be from the start of the season onwards and looking at this, we have got worst and lost all the entertainment and ability to win games with confidence. Im finding it very hard to understand what is being coached into these players, because I dont think Lambert has trust in them to play the type of football we started the season with.

If the one fan on here still 100% supports Lambert I respect it, but surely you have to question the coaching of Culverhouse and co. They are turning this team into the team we saw on day one of Lambert signing. They have been playing long enough now together to be able to pass and run into positons and know where there team mates will be. but most of them just seem so static like they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. I blame lambert for changing formations, tactics much to frequent for this, he knows they are young and inexperienced, so why does he not stick with 1 or 2 formations so the squad can get used to playing this way instead of constantly changing every game???

I think you've forgotten you're actually an Aston Villa fan not a Stoke or a Fulham or Small Heath one. Looks like Lerner/Faulkner's trick of lowering fans expectations has worked.

Or have a few years of absolute garbage and then some fans will accept the mediocre and be grateful.

• Like 1

Self-entitled claptrap.

Â