Paul Lambert

limpid

To be fair to Lerner, we were sitting third in the league and just had our best start since 1998 when Lambert signed his new deal. However appointing AM was truly shocking, especially after we all celebrated SHA's relegation with pride at VP a few weeks earlier. But not only did we appoint Eck (and his cronies), we paid a sizable compensation package to our bitter rivals for the prestigious honour. Bonkers!

That makes it no more excusable on Lerner's part. Not one iota. If he did conclude that a manager who finished with less than 40 points last season suddenly earnt a new contract on the back of four games then he is as short-sightedly retarded as the many fans who jumped back into the pro-Lambert camp during that period. For what it's worth, I think he always wanted to offer Lambert a new contract, even before the season started.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

To be fair to Lerner, we were sitting third in the league and just had our best start since 1998 when Lambert signed his new deal. However appointing AM was truly shocking, especially after we all celebrated SHA's relegation with pride at VP a few weeks earlier. But not only did we appoint Eck (and his cronies), we paid a sizable compensation package to our bitter rivals for the prestigious honour. Bonkers!

That makes it no more excusable on Lerner's part. Not one iota. If he did conclude that a manager who finished with less than 40 points last season suddenly earnt a new contract on the back of four games then he is as short-sightedly retarded as the many fans who jumped back into the pro-Lambert camp during that period. For what it's worth, I think he always wanted to offer Lambert a new contract, even before the season started.
Calling people retarded now? Classy.
  • Like 1

I actually agreed with Lambert signing a new deal at the time, my thinking was things could only get better with more experience in the squad which merged with my early season optimism about results. But on reflection I think we should have held off until later in the season, assessing a good chunk of our results and performances. To be honest with you, I do not believe Lerner cares who is the manager as long as we survive until the club is sold. I will tell you now, I genuinely believe Lambert cares for our club.

I actually agreed with Lambert signing a new deal at the time, my thinking was things could only get better with more experience in the squad which merged with my early season optimism about results. But on reflection I think we should have held off until later in the season, assessing a good chunk of our results and performances. To be honest with you, I do not believe Lerner cares who is the manager as long as we survive until the club is sold. I will tell you now, I genuinely believe Lambert cares for our club.

I believe you're correct.

It is, however, utterly irrelevant. 

• Like 1

I believe you're correct.

It is, however, utterly irrelevant. 

All us fans care for the club, but like Lambert we can't do f***** all about the results!!

Me too. Not saying I think Lambert is the best option but I thought giving him new deal and the good start we had would help us sign delph & vlaar and bring in new players in January. That it would demonstrate stability and that there could be a plan after all and we're improving. Now it seems likely we'll lose vlaar&delph, won't be able to bring good players and we're still stuck with Lambert.

its all well and good saying this manager inherited this and this manager inherited that..... we have spent 110 mill net spend in 8 years, not great in terms of the big players, but not to be sniffed at either.

4 managers have spent that and this is what we are sending out to play.

Koeman has taken over from pochettino after selling most of their best players....we would still be whinging about that, they go out and sign better.

The main reason is they sold their players for decent money.... we can't give ours away.

Running a football club is not that difficult, but buying and selling well, is critical to the success....you have to get that bit right, even if the rest is mediocre.

.............we have generally cocked t up in the last 10 years.

my god when will the penny drop.

• Like 1

its all well and good saying this manager inherited this and this manager inherited that..... we have spent 110 mill net spend in 8 years, not great in terms of the big players, but not to be sniffed at either.

4 managers have spent that and this is what we are sending out to play.

Koeman has taken over from pochettino after selling most of their best players....we would still be whinging about that, they go out and sign better.

The main reason is they sold their players for decent money.... we can't give ours away.

Running a football club is not that difficult, but buying and selling well, is critical to the success....you have to get that bit right, even if the rest is mediocre.

.............we have generally cocked t up in the last 10 years.

my god when will the penny drop.

I'd add scouting to that if we're talkign about the last 10 years too. Imagine the MON spend (at that time too, when Spurs and Man City weren't established at the top end, I know Spurs have effed it up but we're talkign history here) with the kind of scouting southampton appear to have?! We could have bought 2 squads of talent for that money. What we did do was amass an ageing and not arsed bunch of players with no sell on value whatsoever. GREAT WORK.

The caveat here is that Lambert's reign has seen some promising signs in that department, most of what he's bought has sell on value. If we sold everything he has bought so far I reckon we'd make a profit. That on it's own is progress IMO, but it needs to be sustained and it needs to bear fruit on the pitch. There is absolutely no reason why if run properly we couldn't emulate Southampton's success. They were in deep, deep shit and their excellent academy got them out of it essentially but then to go fro being safe from going tits up to where they are now took sustained investment off the back of player sales, investment in potential and well scouted foreign players who would have resale value to allow the process to continue. It isn't rocket surgery, we all know it, it's just it appears to be very very hard to get right year after year.

What hasn't helped Lambert is injuries to his investments but that said I think we should be doing better than 15th and I think we will finish better than 15th this season. 

I'm sorry, but about the only player we'd make a profit on would be Benteke, and that would be cancelled out by the losses on everybody else.

Vlaar, Benteke, Lowton, Westwood, Bacuna...

That wasn't the only point of my post though.

It's also the fact that the players will be willing to leave if they're not getting game time.

MON's older players that he signed on large contracts were happy to sit around and get paid. A lot of Lambert's signings are young enough or hungry enough to want to leave if they don't get game time. imo.

• Like 2

I reckon a lot of our players understand they wouldn't get a premier league gig with anyone else, so would be happy to stay put even if not playing regularly.

"Young and hungry", if it ever really existed, is pretty much dead now.

Based on what?

From the signings that haven't really worked Tonev has flopped so we've gotten rid. El Ahmadi didn't work out and was moved on fairly easily (not for a profit but still). Luna didn't work and has already been loaned out, same with Bennett. Sylla has been loaned out.

Bowery didn't work, sold. 

In fact, now that I list them I can't think of any Lambert signings that haven't worked (and by that I mean don't get into the team) and haven't since been sold or loaned out*.

The profit thing is a valid concern, although I do think we'd make profit on a fair few signings. 

But like I said, the problem with MON's signings wasn't so much the fees, it was the big wages and the inability to move them on because either nobody wanted them because they were too old or expensive (wages wise), or they were happy to stay here and earn money on the bench. I don't think, even if we don't make a profit on sales, we'll have too much problem moving Lambert's signings on as they're cheap enough to take a punt on and young enough to not want to rot on our bench.

*I'd be interested to see if we're paying the wages of the players on loan as that doesn't make loaning them out as beneficial to us, for obvious reasons.

I'm sorry, but about the only player we'd make a profit on would be Benteke, and that would be cancelled out by the losses on everybody else.

Vlaar, Benteke, Lowton, Westwood, Bacuna...

That wasn't the only point of my post though.

He's crap. No other club would pay more than the reported £3m that we did for him.

• Like 1

Â