Paul Lambert

limpid

People say he has made good transfers but I think i could succeed with the type of 1 in 10 players signed is half decent ratio he has.

I expect next season we'll have another load of players out on loan with little chance of making it

I do not believe that if we replace Lambert we will be able to obtain anyone that is any more capable than him or anymore capable of having the team score goals.

We will get a caretaker. Our defense will go to shit and we will get scored on a lot more than we have been scored on in the past. We will still not score because we don't have any good offensive players.

This result does not change a single thing. It does not confirm anything the past 4 or 5 matches did not confirm. The fundamental issues remain the same. As does the only solution.

As long as we do not sign anyone this window barring a miracle we will go down. It doesn't matter if we have Lambert coaching or Pep **** Guardiola.

Sorry but that's absolute rubbish.

Seconded. Same old lame excuses.

Thirded. The most jaded argument out there. 

So whose going to score the **** goals then football genius? I mean obviously you know better than Lambert.

Who Joe Cole? Whose a washed up has been?

N'Zogbia? A no show since he's signed up for the club?

Weimann or Agbonlahor? Two of the worst offensive players ever to play for a premiere side?

Benteke? With the kind of service he's been getting?

The fact that Grealish A kid with very little experience in the premiere is often one of our top threats is telling here.

You don't need to tell me the facts. I can see the facts. The fact is a player who's greatest skill with every one of his former teams was his ability to sit just ahead of two central defenders and scoop through balls up during defending phases is now turning into one of the fans biggest hopes for seeing some kind of offensive or creative output in this side and was the last player to create any kind of meaningful assist for this team speaks mountains.

The team is decent defensively but outside Benteke there is not a single offensive player any Premiere League side would be willing to pay for.

**** I'd argue that championship teams wouldn't be willing to pay for any of these players. They're all utter shit. 

Most MLS sides have more competent offensive players than our team does. And that's one of the worst leagues out there. I mean just stand and consider for that for a second.

No **** danish or swedish wunderkid is going to fix this. They're kids. The leagues they competed in were extremely weak. You can't just put them in the Premier League and expect them to produce. That's not a working model. It will never be a working model. 

We need actual players. From actually good leagues. At the very least decent ones. We can't go around with this kind of shit and expect to compete with any other teams. The **** Premier League awards well over 40m to our team in Television Revenues and we can't spend a measly 8-10m on a decent attacking player?

The team can not compete in this league under this management. It's simply the facts. Unless they are willing to invest more our team will do poorly. The only hope of overcoming that is our academy. 

In 2012/13, we scored 47 goals with the same attacking players we had at the start of this season.

That's more than double what we're on track for this season.

You can talk about players all you like, but if it's just the players, how did we manage 47 goals in 2012/13 and 39 goals in 2013/14?

These aren't massive totals, but they are totals that would see us with a lot more points this season and probably safe from relegation.

These players have the ability to score more goals than they are scoring. They aren't scoring more goals because we've got an ultradefensive, hold the ball at all costs gamebook with a few blank pages in between holding the ball in the midfield and putting it into the back of the net.

I still think theres out of work managers who would jump at the chance.

Who?

Neil Warnock? Joe Kinnear?

The return of MON on a short term deal?

Now that would be very pleasing. MON parachutes in the lend a hand to the man who sacked him.

People say he has made good transfers but I think i could succeed with the type of 1 in 10 players signed is half decent ratio he has.

I expect next season we'll have another load of players out on loan with little chance of making it

I do not believe that if we replace Lambert we will be able to obtain anyone that is any more capable than him or anymore capable of having the team score goals.

We will get a caretaker. Our defense will go to shit and we will get scored on a lot more than we have been scored on in the past. We will still not score because we don't have any good offensive players.

This result does not change a single thing. It does not confirm anything the past 4 or 5 matches did not confirm. The fundamental issues remain the same. As does the only solution.

As long as we do not sign anyone this window barring a miracle we will go down. It doesn't matter if we have Lambert coaching or Pep **** Guardiola.

So whose going to score the **** goals then football genius? I mean obviously you know better than Lambert.

Okay I'll bite.

Firstly there's no need to be so agressive, we're all villa fans here.

Who in the game against Burnley was outstanding. Injury prone I'll admit, but he has plenty to offer offensively if we can get him on the pitch.

I'm not his biggest fan, but mostly because he clearly has ability but his decision making(which could be improved on the training ground) is frustrating.

Weimann or Agbonlahor? Two of the worst offensive players ever to play for a premiere side?

Weimann scored plenty in his first full season and looked a very promising player, he also works his socks off.

Agbonlahor is our top PL goalscorer, yes he's a limited player, but he's been an ever present for us for years and years and is one of our best servants over the PL era.

Neither is even close to the worst offensive PL players ever. Maybe their recent form and lack of goals or creative play has more to do with being deployed as wingers for the last 2 and a bit years when they are both strikers.

And why has he been getting that service? If you want benteke to thrive you need to use his best assets which means being direct and giving it early or getting crosses in, we were direct under Lambert for the last 2 seasons so it suited him. Now we don't give him it early and we have little width which is suffocating him hence why he's not involved in the game much and getting frustrated.

The fact that Grealish A kid with very little experience in the premiere is often one of our top threats is telling here.

Yes, he's actually a winger and he goes to the byline or attacks his full back, the only player(fullbacks aside) in our squad that does this.

You don't need to tell me the facts. I can see the facts. The fact is a player who's greatest skill with every one of his former teams was his ability to sit just ahead of two central defenders and scoop through balls up during defending phases is now turning into one of the fans biggest hopes for seeing some kind of offensive or creative output in this side and was the last player to create any kind of meaningful assist for this team speaks mountains.

I'm assuming you're talking about Sanchez? In which case its probably because he's playing well, and people are hoping he can drag us forwards. It may not be part of his game but in form players abilitys will always be exaggerated in the same way you have exaggerated how poor the out of form players are.

The team is decent defensively but outside Benteke there is not a single offensive player any Premiere League side would be willing to pay for.

Maybe, but I can't really argue that either way unless one of our players is sold.

**** I'd argue that championship teams wouldn't be willing to pay for any of these players. They're all utter shit.

Seeing as we have at least a handful of players on loan in the championship that can't make it into the first team I'd say thats not true.

Most MLS sides have more competent offensive players than our team does. And that's one of the worst leagues out there. I mean just stand and consider for that for a second.

Once again can't argue against you because there is no proof(even though I think you are wrong) but you can't make a (subjective)point yourself with no way of backing it up and then say how unbelievable it is that its true, its just more exaggeration.

No **** danish or swedish wunderkid is going to fix this. They're kids. The leagues they competed in were extremely weak. You can't just put them in the Premier League and expect them to produce. That's not a working model. It will never be a working model.

I agree, you can't expect it at all.

Doesn't mean to say you should never buy from those leagues though, not all top players start playing in top footballing countries league systems.

We need actual players. From actually good leagues. At the very least decent ones. We can't go around with this kind of shit and expect to compete with any other teams. The **** Premier League awards well over 40m to our team in Television Revenues and we can't spend a measly 8-10m on a decent attacking player?

It doesn't matter where they are from or what they cost, what we need is good players. Yes we need better funding.

The team can not compete in this league under this management. It's simply the facts. Unless they are willing to invest more our team will do poorly. The only hope of overcoming that is our academy.

I agree, we can not continue to be ran like this and expect to stay in the league, but it is what it is at the moment.

But back to your original post which people took issue with, they did so because we can get a better manager than lambert is currently proving to be.

If we actually play in a way that suits our team we will score goals instead of isolating our best player and playing our attacking players out of position.

Yes we need investment but it is absolutely no excuse at the moment, the team is has been underperforming catastrophically since september, we have scored 7 goals(in the league) in 17 games since the liverpool game on 13 sep, that is more than just the players fault.

• Like 2

So we stick with the same dross manager? How's that going to work out? A sign of madness is doing the same thing while expecting a different outcome.

I would hope a new manager might be able to motivate this squad because clearly Lambert can't. Also a new manager might realise that we are so narrow and might look to address that. We played a poor team yesterday who were missing several of their best player and we were comfortably out played.

Nobody better than Lambert? haha my mother in law couldn't do worse!

I've kinda given up on this shambles.. I mean we can't score goals for toffee so what do we do? .. We loan out our proven goal scorer Bent. ..I mean what!?  I know we arn't really cut out to fit Bent in the team with no width etc but surely he would still pop a few in as the guy knows how to score!

The crazy thing is that we are so awful upfront that teams like Leicester, Palace etc know that if they stay tight against us they are at very little risk of conceding.. so even though the defence is better its so easy for teams to defend against us that we're almost guaranteed to concede at least one. ..which is what keeps happening ..lost count of the 0-1 defeats!

Goodness me i'm running out of reasons to tell my 7 year old why to stick with it and keep supporting this club. 

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

I think managers are given too much credit by football fans. When a team is doing well the manager is a genius and when the team is struggling the manager is a joke. Look at Moyes, Martinez or Pulis for a few of examples of managers who's standing amongst fans seems to flip season by season depending on how their teams are doing.

The far bigger factor predicting how well a team will do is how much the club is able to spend on the playing staff. We can change our manager over and over again but we will still be mediocre until we can offer the wages required to build a more competitive squad.

Lambert with his "new philosophy" has proven how much a manager can affect how a team approaches a game.

Admittedly we have gone between polar opposites from our pure counterattack to possession at all costs so its more noticeable.

Obviously there are other important factors, such as quality of player, form, injuries etc but I think the manager is directly responsible for picking a team and then giving that team a way to play.

I don't expect us to be anything more than mediocre the way we are funded, but 12 points* from 17 games with 7 goals* along the way is not mediocre, and I put a lot of the blame for that on the way we have set up, especially on the toothless possession game recently as it does not play to our(or benteke's) strengths.

Can you honestly tell me you think our squad is that poor that those stats* are what should be expected?

He needs to play 433 with a middle 3 of Delph, Sanchez and Bacuna/Cole/N'Zogbia. Westwood and Cleverly are too average and the same player.

He also needs to get Grealish up amongst the front 3. I would play Weimann at home and Gabby, for his pace, away.

He needs to play 433 with a middle 3 of Delph, Sanchez and Bacuna/Cole/N'Zogbia. Westwood and Cleverly are too average and the same player.

He also needs to get Grealish up amongst the front 3. I would play Weimann at home and Gabby, for his pace, away.

Why not 4-5-1? Grealish and, perhaps, Sinclair providing width instead of Cissokho and Hutton. Drop both Wiemann and Agbonlahor.

• Like 1

This would be my starting Line up:

----------------------guzan-------------------------

Hutton--------Okore------Clark------------Ally

-----------Westwood-----Sanchez-------------

Bacuna------------grealish--------------Gabby

----------------------Benteke----------------------

1. this team would be defensively sound and good at counter attacking

2. Bacuna and Hutton together are good defensively but I feel they could combine and get decent balls into the box.

3. Grealish would have minimal defensive duties and could concentrate on attacking

4. The idea of Hutton and Ally being our wide players is not working, they need help.

5. I don't want three/ four central midfielders doing the same thing. I believe Westwood/Sanchez could develop a good partnership, with an attacking player in front of them.

6. I hate the idea of not having any width when we have Benteke in the side. It don't make sense to me. Gabby is able to go to by line and cut in.

7. This team could play back to front quickly, counter attack, or keep ball - it's flexible.

8. Bacuna on set pieces.

I reckon we'd finish 9/10 if we could keep eleven players on the pitch ;)

• Like 1

Well if the season was to end now those 11 goals would have kept us up. Goal difference is the important stat, not that it's any good but it's not the worst either. And those 11 goals are an indication of how things have been not how they have to be, hopefully we can get a few players in through the door to help with that.

• Like 1

Are there people seriously thinking Lambert can steer us out of this ?

11 goals all season is the killer stat - the way we are going we will lucky to end up with 20 goals

We won't stay up scoring 20 goals..

I don't think anyone is suggesting he can, they are hoping he can because he is going to be the one attempting to do it. All people are doing is looking for viable solutions to our current situation.

You couldn't make it up really.....he goes to one of the worlds top coaches...yet on his return we are worse than ever...

Yes, I'm sure a meeting with Pep who has some of the worlds best players at his disposal really would make you a far better coach over the course of a few weeks. He has tried to implement a style that isn't quite working yet but at least he tried something different.

It just isn't working for anyone atm.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Â