Paul Lambert

limpid

Nothing has changed regards the remit that Lambert had from Lerner. Buy cheap and mould together a squad that will play as a team. Everyone knows their job and works hard at it. Lerner has said that he is happy with what Lambert has done at the club so far given the financial constraints etc. He said it will be a long term process and it has proved to be. There will be mistakes made along the way but this is a steep learning curve that the manager and players are traversing. Sure I think Lerner will listen to any offers for the club that are in the best interests of the club. I still think he put the club up for sale to take the pressure off the manager and it has.

This and then the appointment of Roy Keane are master strokes that are starting to pay dividends. Still a long way to go though but hopefully onwards and upwards

UTV!

I'd give him a new deal. Not based on the start to the season but based on how he has managed the club since he got here regardless of the tough times and results.

I'd probably wait until January and then see how we're looking.  This has been a fantastic start to the season in the league, but it has only been 4 games.

If anything, this all just makes me more annoyed with Lerner.  Lambert hasn't had the financial backing that we've needed at all - but he still brings in the right players more often than not.  Whilst some of the younger risks didn't work out (understandably), Cissokho, Senderos and Richardson look like such astute acquisitions and Sanchez has shown in glimpses that he'll be a decent player once settled.

Whether it's Lambo or his scouting team, I think he's been pretty awesome in the transfer market overall and hope Lerner gives him more to spend in January/next summer if a new owner isn't in place.

• Like 2

It's a long season and we've had good starts before....

... but credit where it is due: I don't think we've ever started an opening Premier League quartet this well (somebody please tell me that's correct).

Well done, Lambert. Keep it up.

Lambert's done well and long may it continue; it was nice to hear him say on Sky about what a big club we are and how great the fans have been over a tough couple of seasons. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction and when things get tough we need to support him and the team.

Interestingly is there anything to read into his comments on BBC after the game yesterday:"There is a lot of momentum on and off the pitch at this club, the players have been excellent as a group and the supporters have stuck with it and now our young guys are turning into young men."

Maybe there are things happening behind the scenes at Villa Park?

It's a long season and we've had good starts before....

... but credit where it is due: I don't think we've ever started an opening Premier League quartet this well (somebody please tell me that's correct).

Well done, Lambert. Keep it up.

I would say a difference here is the consistency with how well we've played. Not flukes, well drilled and disciplined. We are / have become a cohesive unit and we will continue to do so. It'll be interesting to see how we play with both benteke and kozak back. 

Interestingly is there anything to read into his comments on BBC after the game yesterday:"There is a lot of momentum on and off the pitch at this club, the players have been excellent as a group and the supporters have stuck with it and now our young guys are turning into young men."

I don't think there was any hidden meaning to that or anything. He laid out exactly what he meant within the sentence

Lambert's done well and long may it continue; it was nice to hear him say on Sky about what a big club we are and how great the fans have been over a tough couple of seasons. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction and when things get tough we need to support him and the team.

Maybe there are things happening behind the scenes at Villa Park?

Nope

• Like 2

Mentioned this in the match thread but does anyone else think he has had a bit of media training? Because he looked very composed in his interview last night and was a bit more "open", for example when he said we played the diamond to start with and then changed to a midfield five, he would've never said that before.

Give him a hard time the back end of last season and made no secret of the fact I thought he wasn't the man to take us forward and I wanted him gone. But Orient aside I'm eating my words as we have actually looked like a cohesive team this season and progression seems evident, long may it continue!

UTV

I think I'm going to stay balanced for once.  

Over the last few seasons I have mixed feelings about Lambert being at the club.  The end season run and way of playing of 12/13 season gave me immense hope for the start of last season and I really believed in PL but then last season, as things fell apart, part of me thought it was time to leave.  

Now four games in we have started, in my eyes, phenomenally given our team and the lack of outlay in the summer to a team already that lacks quality.  Signing Senderos, Richardson and Cole as freebies, Keane coming on as number 2 left me deflated at the time but Lambert despite the restrictions brought in some quality without it being earth shattering in Carlos, Ally and Cleverly.  

I felt better about the additional options but have been worried about the season.  After these first four league games I'm in la-la land but want to hold back because I'm assuming there will be downside so want to be more balanced and not react so dramatically when we have a good run and also not feel so down when we have a bad run.  I am glad and encouraged by what Lambert is doing at the moment though, Senderos signing seems inspired and a great rock at the back and Keane seems, although without any supporting evidence, to have added something to the club.  

Long may it continue.  

• Like 1

Really like Paul Lambert .  Top top bloke always have.  Hope he stays with us for many a year

Good guy, very, very good player and a good manager who has made some mistakes but ultimately kept us up for a couple of the riskiest years we've had since I've been a fan and now we have the luxury of having the likes of Hutton back he's free to put out a team that he wants to put out and it's working brilliantly. The shape he has us playing is so structured, there were times when I saw players run to close down the Liverpool defense but then remembered their job and ran back into a very specific position. Look where it got us! He's always been mocked playfully up here in Scotland for being really thick and his interviews hardly do anything to contradict that but he's still a good guy and I was such a huge fan of him as a player in the national team so I'm very happy he's our manager

• Like 1

I'd give him a new deal. Not based on the start to the season but based on how he has managed the club since he got here regardless of the tough times and results.

What do you reckon would be a fair length of deal? If we're still doing well at xmas I'd give him two years plus a years option.

What's worth remembering is we'd surely get new owners during that period which will probably complicate things.

Â