Paul Lambert

limpid

Still finds it hard to get the team to put in a full 90 minutes though??

We played out of our skins in the 1st half, not many teams can do that for a full 90 minutes.  We still did a good job in the second half and barely gave Hull a sniff. 

• Like 1

I'm not convinced yet. Remember that we also started last season very well but it didn't stay that way.

We have a slightly better squad - which is a bonus. It remains to be seen if Lambert can produce something better with it.

Totally the wrong time to even think of getting rid. Alot of people myself included sometimes have to step back and think before shouting. I was mad last week, not because we lost but the way we lost, dropping players again for a cup match - 7 changes enforced by injury or not, tippy tappy lets go backward football, slowing the game down when upping the tempo would have torn them apart. The tactics, lack of subs and the general could not give a damn about the cup got attitude to me.

I still think he has a lot to learn and should be quicker to react to opposition changes. The reason Hull improved second half was they switched to four at the back, this allowed their midfield a bit more freedom and seemed to suit them. We waited until we were under the cosh to change it round, we should have made a change earlier and kept the pressure on them.

It will take until Christmas to see if we have genuinely improved and where we stand.

We scored 2 goals against a team we should beat at home.

Lambo4lyf

7 points from 9.
Sorry I wrote that when I was half asleep and didn't realise how it would read. I'm genuinely thrilled to see us look consistently dangerous and actually put a couple away at Villa Park.

It was brilliant to find some real cutting edge at home for what felt like the first time in years.

We scored 2 goals against a team we should beat at home.

Lambo4lyf

7 points from 9.
Sorry I wrote that when I was half asleep and didn't realise how it would read. I'm genuinely thrilled to see us look consistently dangerous and actually put a couple away at Villa Park.

It was brilliant to find some real cutting edge at home for what felt like the first time in years.

Fair enough! I'm half asleep this morning and after a few TFL related dramas probably a bit sensitive.

Agreed. I'm hoping with a more experienced squad this time around we can find some consistency.

• Like 1

Fact is Randy has got his back and he won't be going anywhere. Lambert is finally allowed to bring in Premier League standard players rather than hoping he can develop some quickly on a very tight budget, and it's not a surprise we've looked a lot more solid. Lambert has had to put up with a fair bit of shit trying to sort out the financial side of the playing staff for Randy so we'd be ready to sell, it seems that he is now benefitting from all that hard work. There will be backward steps still, no doubt, I hope people don't start foaming at the mouth again whenever we lose a game we shouldn't.

We're playing well. Despite our opinion on Paul, it's completely the wrong time to start a back room soap opera.

Like it or not, this is a team he's created and trained. This season is the Paul Lambert show and I'm enjoying every episode.

He has finally done something that has plagued his time at the club and that is finally sort out the defence. This team wont concede 2 or 3 nearly everyweek like last few seasons and he deserves credit for 

a. not being stubborn and changing his policy on youth and also bringing back Hutton

b. hiring Keane who I think has helped and is surprisingly more calming than Culverhouse

Still finds it hard to get the team to put in a full 90 minutes though??

How many premier league teams play well for 90 minutes nowadays? Spurs and Everton both had woeful halfs of football at the weekend. We simply don't have enough quality throughtout the team to sustain the level.

Just be happy our first half performance was exciting and good enough to win the game.

I can't warm to the bloke or his ideals at all

What do you think his ideals are? if you think its to serve up the tripe dished up for much of last season then I'd say that is way off the mark.

His reputation when he arrived was as being a manger that was a bit gung ho and sending his teams out to have a real go. Where he and/or the owner went wrong for me was the decision when he arrived to go all out down the young, hungry and unproven at anything like Prem level route. A lot of us were crying out right from the get go of his tenure to add a few proven, quality experienced players into the mix. Last season that lack of nous nearly cost us and the have a go style of play quickly went out the window and we simply had no confidence, looked devoid of ideas and in many games were simply outfought and were starting games trying to hold on to the point we had rather than going out to grab the three on offer.

In Lamberts defence he is still a relatively young and inexperienced manager and based on what we have seen so far this season both in terms of signings and style of play he is learning from past mistakes. The signings look excellent and many add that nous/experience and a fair bit of proven quality that was lacking and we are setting up in games to be very solid as a team and look to have a lot of steel about us.

The spine of the team looks strong now in Guzan, Senderos, Vlaar, Delph, Sanchez and Benteke (when fit). Sissoko and Hutton look as good as anything we have seen at fullback in many a year, Westwood is for me a real shining light and is developing into a cracking Prem player and the likes of Weimann, Gabby, Richardson have all started the season well. A massive improvement on recent seasons is also when you look at our bench there are genuine game changers on there who can make an impact.

The starting 11 last season looked good enough for a 10-12th place finish but with 1 or 2 injuries to important players was destined to struggle as the squad was weak. Now for me the squad looks capable of a mid table (8th-12th) finish.

I gave Lambert plenty of kickings in the second half of last season and its clearly early days in this one but credit where its due. In the business Lambert has done, still on a relative shoe string compared to many, the improvement in the backroom staff and the way we have set about things on the pitch then he deserves a big pat on the back. Long may it continue.

That's a good rounded post mark and one I' m at one with...

To reiterate.....

For sure it's a good start in the league, but there is a good way to go....but while we can't get carried away, equally we can't keep beating ourselves up, we can only beat who is in front of us and we can' t be held responsible for the oppositions form....like some have suggested

When I heard hull was poor in the first half, I was go smacked....see if we care.

When the top teams turn us over, like Chelsea away.....do the pundits say oh villa was poor today, that's why Chelsea won.

We can't be having double standards.....and that is what the pundits seem to have.

• Like 1

Â