Paul Lambert

limpid

Hmmm

Well I've just had a look on the interweb and I can't see anything that Taylor said that would warrant a ban from the Villa tour.

He wrote a few articles towards the end of last season saying it wasn't very good at Villa and the fans were understandably unhappy.

If Lambert doesn't like that sort of talk, he 'll need to ban most fans from the ground next season as well.

Hmmm

Well I've just had a look on the interweb and I can't see anything that Taylor said that would warrant a ban from the Villa tour.

He wrote a few articles towards the end of last season saying it wasn't very good at Villa and the fans were understandably unhappy.

If Lambert doesn't like that sort of talk, he 'll need to ban most fans from the ground next season as well.

Maybe the reason is, the story about taylor banned is more fabrication than truth?

• Like 4

I'm unclear why people are evening still talking about this given Hendrie has seemingly said it's not true. Unless people think Hendrie isn't allowed to speak freely but then of that was the case then Taylor wouldn't have been critical in the first place.

Utter cobblers of a story based on guesswork and hearsay which even when denied by one of those involved is lapped up because it's another stick to hit Lambert with.

A like doesn't quite cut it for this post!

I don't care whether he comes to us or not.

I'm unclear why people are even still talking about this given Hendrie has seemingly said it's not true. Unless people think Hendrie isn't allowed to speak freely but then of that was the case then Taylor wouldn't have been critical in the first place.

Utter cobblers of a story based on guesswork and hearsay which even when denied by one of those involved is lapped up because it's another stick to hit Lambert with.

Am I right in thinking the quote from uptoyou is actually from the Ki Sung-Yeung thread?

It's hard to make sense of it as part of this discussion.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Ah, Lee Hendrie.

Loved him as a player, despite the fact he was the scapegoat for any problem with Villa during his playing times (sound familiar, KEA?).

Say what you like about his ability/performances for us - he bleeds Claret and Blue. Good choice, Lambert. :thumb:

• Like 1

What's Hendries role at the club now by the way?

His role is explained here:

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3947582,00.html

USA Tour 2014: Hendrie joins AVTV team for Stateside trip

Lee Hendrie signs for Villa.
4th Jul 2014

0,,10265~12947558,00.jpg

Lee Hendrie is joining the AVTV team for Villa's trip to USA this summer.

Hendrie will travel over the States with the in-house video team for media coverage of the tour to Dallas and Houston.

The former midfield ace will provide co-commentary alongside Jack Woodward on matches against FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo as well as providing expert analysis on all aspects of the excursion against the pond.

He will take part in Q&A sessions with claret and blue supporters - as well as donning his boots once again as he takes part in supporters club games in both USA cities.

Hendrie said: "I am delighted to take on this exciting role for the tour of USA.

"To be back involved with the club I loved playing for is very special.

"I can't wait to head over Stateside, meet the fans, watchicon1.png the first team matches, give my views on my action - and then get my boots out for a couple of games myself."

...Lee Hendrie?! Maybe getting him back on board is same logic as those 'scared straight' things they do in the US where they get convicts in to talk school kids through all the bad decisions they've made to end up in that situation.

• Like 1

A lot of journos and unfortunately fans, seem to revel at the turmoil we're currently in. 

I think that is very untrue.

I would say very concerned is more appropriate.....hence they find a need to say something.....albeit i take you point about discretion.

i understand your point, but equally i hope you understand mine.

it is not always easy to stand by and watch the building burn, despite not having a firemans helmet on.

well if i was judging the honesty and integrity of both ex players, I know where my vote would go.....just generalising

I don't know the details so its difficult to comment.

It's a difficult one as he has signed some good players that, IMO, would generate a profit now. However the majority of these were in the first season with the likes of Vlaar, Guzan, Westwood, Lowton and Benteke.

Last summer we signed a lot of cheap shit so I can really only think of Bacuna who has been ok.

The problem is Lerner turned the tap off, the appointed McLeish and let him sign players for more silly money, most of which were on the way down (Hutton, CNZ, Given).

Hindsight is great but we seem to have bounced from one piss poor decision to another.

I was thinking about Lambert's signings and if we were to sell all of them today would we recoup what was spent?

Makes a change from previous managers doesn't it?

Would we get £40m back?  I doubt it.

I was thinking about Lambert's signings and if we were to sell all of them today would we recoup what was spent?

Makes a change from previous managers doesn't it?

Would we get £40m back?  I doubt it.

We'd probably get at least three quarters of that back from Benteke and Vlaar alone.

Edited by Mantis

It's a difficult one as he has signed some good players that, IMO, would generate a profit now. However the majority of these were in the first season with the likes of Vlaar, Guzan, Westwood, Lowton and Benteke.

Last summer we signed a lot of cheap shit so I can really only think of Bacuna who has been ok.

The problem is Lerner turned the tap off, the appointed McLeish and let him sign players for more silly money, most of which were on the way down (Hutton, CNZ, Given).

Hindsight is great but we seem to have bounced from one piss poor decision to another.

Yes. I think Lambert biggest mistake thus far (other than taking this job on) was having just survived a torrid first season, he carried out the same transfer strategy last season. Surely he must have realised that the scatter gun tactic of buying 5-10 players at 2-5 million price brand, is just taking a massive gamble? He should have brought less people in and spent more on experienced free players. Which in fairness he is doing now. These are the only 2 transfer plans he has to play with, given the limits he has over him from Lerner.

Ironically in despite of another history breaking awful season, he is position is as strong as it has ever been at Villa. Lerner will not sack anyone now the club is for sale, and Faulkner has left leaving a big gap at board level. Now it is all in the open how bad his hand is at Villa, Lambert might be a bit more relaxed this year and will not be planning for years to come- he will be simply managing week to week putting out fires. Which might make us a better team. 

Â