Paul Lambert

limpid

Lambert is going to walk in the summer unless our chairman goes first

Going to be interesting to see his face when Benteke is sold under his nose and he's given 50p of the transfer fee to reinvest in the team

Going to be interesting to see his face when Benteke is sold under his nose and he's given 50p of the transfer fee to reinvest in the team

I agree. I think Lerner will go though.

• Like 1

My God there are an awful lot of presumptions being made on here - worse than ever.  How do any of you know PL wasn't backed ?

Perhaps who he wanted wouldn't come ?  Perhaps who he wanted was too costly - even for PL ?

Look around - this 'window' is full of nothing for nearly everybody.why should we be different.

Perhaps PL is reasonably ok with where we are at and dosn't feel what could have been added was worth it ?

Many people appear to feel hard done by simply because there was a buying period and we didn't.  Loads of people didn't - just as in the days before there was this ridiculous 'window' - and all the hype that people have fallen for off Sky these last few years, where it has become a spectator sport in itself - many Teams went all season without having to drip feed new excitement to impatient fans.

Just perhaps, that's all.

• Like 2

My God there are an awful lot of presumptions being made on here - worse than ever. How do any of you know PL wasn't backed ?

Perhaps who he wanted wouldn't come ? Perhaps who he wanted was too costly - even for PL ?

Look around - this 'window' is full of nothing for nearly everybody.why should we be different.

Perhaps PL is reasonably ok with where we are at and dosn't feel what could have been added was worth it ?

Many people appear to feel hard done by simply because there was a buying period and we didn't. Loads of people didn't - just as in the days before there was this ridiculous 'window' - and all the hype that people have fallen for off Sky these last few years, where it has become a spectator sport in itself - many Teams went all season without having to drip feed new excitement to impatient fans.

The only problem with this quite poor excuse is that last January shows exactly what our current owner thinks.

Bit like how Benteke was going to be sold last summer?

My God there are an awful lot of presumptions being made on here - worse than ever.  How do any of you know PL wasn't backed ?

Perhaps who he wanted wouldn't come ?  Perhaps who he wanted was too costly - even for PL ?

Many people appear to feel hard done by simply because there was a buying period and we didn't.  Loads of people didn't - just as in the days before there was this ridiculous 'window' - and all the hype that people have fallen for off Sky these last few years, where it has become a spectator sport in itself - many Teams went all season without having to drip feed new excitement to impatient fans.

Here, have a read:

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert wants a 'number 10'

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/9103801/

Paul Lambert: We want a playmaker who can make things happen

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-lambert-want-playmaker-who-6469808

Villa boss rules out moves for Defour and Kiyotake

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-paul-6521045

Paul Lambert targeting more experienced players in January window

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-targeting-6455693

It has been obvious for over a month that Lambert wanted to do the following things:

- Sign a playmaker or 'number 10'

- Sign players with experience

- Sign players to strengthen several positions

Now you could argue that he got experience in Holt, but I don't think Holt would have been signed had Kozak not been injured and therefore do not believe he was a 'planned' target.

As for the playmaker, well it is clear that he didn't get what he wanted as he has explained many times exactly what he was after, so any suggestions of Lambert being happy with what he has got and not wanting to sign anybody else is ridiculous. He himself has stated that there were signings "we couldn't do", so there are clearly a wealth of targets that he has identified but the club have been unable to make progress with any of them bar one (being Bertrand on a 6 month loan).

For me, knowing that Lambert has identified an array of targets but the club have only been able to sign 1 of these targets on a 6 month loan as well as a player who was brought in as an emergency loan to cover a player who broke his leg, is white frankly unbelievable. Lambert has not been backed, it is evident for us all to see, but of course if you choose to look past what is in front of your eyes then that is entirely up to you.

Edit:

For the record, I am happy that we signed Bertrand and I am also happy that we managed to bring somebody in to cover Kozak after his unfortunate accident. Even so, I am not happy that Lambert hasn't been backed with more than just 1 of his targets, who even then is merely on loan for a few months.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 3

I like others don't know if Lambert was backed or not this window. And if he was to what extent. I have a feeling he was again tying to bring in players with limited funds both in terms of fees and wages though and whilst that is the case we can't expect to be anymore than a mid to lower table club at best regardless of who the manager is.

I'd like to see Lambert given significant backing as I have a feeling he would do very well with it. 30 - 40 mill in fees and 200 - 250k a week  to spend on wages for 4 or 5 players. Its not Chelsea/Man City/United/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs level funding but I think it would be enough to see us make significant progress under Lambert and get us into the top 8 pushing for top 6. Sadly I don't think we will get to find out if I am right.

Edited by markavfc40

If Lambert is constrained as much as he is.....and it certainly looks like it.

It is much more difficult to realistically scorn him for bad performances when he can't bring in the players he wants.

looks to me like the bloke has no chance.

Just taking a look at our season so far, and I have to say, apart from some shit performances November/December time, we've been doing much better than people make out on here, especially considering our current circumstances.

• Made 9 signings (permanent and loan) and had 7 players leave (permanent and loan) for a net spend of ~£16m
  • Hugely reduced the wage bill based on which players have left
  • Only just survived last season
  • Only been lower than 14th once, we dropped to 17th after 4 games but bounced up to 13th a game later, otherwise we've been bobbing between 10th and 13th mostly
  • A much better GD from last season, though still not great
  • 7 Clean sheets already, we had 6 for the entirety of last season
  • Had some very good performances and huge results (last two games, Citeh, Arsenal etc.)
  • Benteke, Gabby and Vlaar have all been injured or out of form for the majority of this period, our three most important outfield players
  • Weimann, Lowton and Westwood not been performing as well as we know they can
  • Okore been missing all season, looked as if he could have been extremely good with Vlaar
  • Bertrand looks to be a fantastic signing already

I'd say we have shown some improvement this year with an injury hit and out of form squad that's had little time to gel. Just imagine how well we'd do if we had a fully fit, gelled and in-form squad.

Hopefully Lambert will be backed this summer, whether it be by Lerner or some other owner, if we finish mid-table this season (which it looks like we will) I reckon we could definitely challenge for European spots next season.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 2

I like others don't know if Lambert was backed or not this window. And if he was to what extent. I have a feeling he was again tying to bring in players with limited funds both in terms of fees and wages though and whilst that is the case we can't expect to be anymore than a mid to lower table club at best regardless of who the manager is.

I'd like to see Lambert given significant backing as I have a feeling he would do very well with it. 30 - 40 mill in fees and 200 - 250k a week to spend on 4 or 5 players. Its not Chelsea/Man City/United/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs level funding but I think it would be enough to see us make significant progress under Lambert and get us into the top 8 pushing for top 6. Sadly I don't think we will get to find out if I am right.

If the club doesn't have the money then what can you do?

You can't expect a sugar daddy to just keep pumping money into the club if we can't generate our own income.

Just taking a look at our season so far, and I have to say, apart from some shit performances November/December time, we've been doing much better than people make out on here, especially considering our current circumstances.

• Made 9 signings (permanent and loan) and had 7 players leave (permanent and loan) for a net spend of ~£16m
  • Hugely reduced the wage bill based on which players have left
  • Only just survived last season
  • Only been lower than 14th once, we dropped to 17th after 4 games but bounced up to 13th a game later, otherwise we've been bobbing between 10th and 13th mostly
  • A much better GD from last season, though still not great
  • 7 Clean sheets already, we had 6 for the entirety of last season
  • Had some very good performances and huge results (last two games, Citeh, Arsenal etc.)
  • Benteke, Gabby and Vlaar have all been injured or out of form for the majority of this period, our three most important outfield players
  • Weimann, Lowton and Westwood not been performing as well as we know they can
  • Okore been missing all season, looked as if he could have been extremely good with Vlaar
  • Bertrand looks to be a fantastic signing already

I'd say we have shown some improvement this year with an injury hit and out of form squad that's had little time to gel. Just imagine how well we'd do if we had a fully fit, gelled and in-form squad.

Hopefully Lambert will be backed this summer, whether it be by Lerner or some other owner, if we finish mid-table this season (which it looks like we will) I reckon we could definitely challenge for European spots next season.

This. I can't believe how pesimistic we have all become. Why? Because fulham signed some foreign players?

I think Bertrand was a GREAT signing, Lambert has done well there. Holt played his part over baggies (he was the only one smart enough to hold the ball when we were winning). Lambert has done a good job, and if he gets 20-25 million in  the summer to build on what we have I think we can really push for top 8.

He will definatelly get an AM, try to get Bertrand on perm, get another midfielder, possibly a RB (lowton is still iffy), 7-8 strikers, okore and kozak will be back. We are looking up, not down! Let's give the guy a chance to build something! 

Look at the way Delph or Bacuna start to perform. By the way they are playing, along with Gabby, Vlaar, Guzan, Bertrand, Benteke, we are definately a good enough team to challange. Those thing's don't happen over night, you know?

As we have shown we don't tend to do our business in th  public eye so no one really knows (barring hoolihan) who we were after and the reasons we didn't get a midfielder, and looking at other transfers in the league, there are only 2 who I would have liked at the club (not including top 6 teams), Holtby which would be down to wages and Ince but he has shown he is only after a bit of money as a stop gap and is not what we really need in terms of position at the moment, other than that the rest are over priced, unproven and prob paid with lucrative wages for a short term loan.

We are capable of finishing 8th-10th with the current team, now let's push on and then in the summer use the budget to buy 2 midfielders and bertrand - I personally think we will spend circa £20m on 3 in summer!!! :)

Edited by TonyDaley

If Lambert is constrained as much as he is.....and it certainly looks like it.

It is much more difficult to realistically scorn him for bad performances when he can't bring in the players he wants.

looks to me like the bloke has no chance.

This is the problem with the Villa right now. He stated what he wanted but clearly doesn't have the necessary funding to get it. Lerner probably gave him money but not enough to get the right man, either that or we couldn't pay the wages.

We won't really know what Lambert is capable of until he's given decent funding, and that looks very unlikely under Lerner's ownership. Even when Lerner goes we may not see it because new owners usually bring new managers. It wouldn't surprise me if, one day, Lambert goes to another club with funding, does a really good job, and Villatalk has a "Paul Lambert - What could have been" thread that gets more posts than the man who is managing us at that point. Would be so typical of the Villa, if that happened.

Summer is make of break I reckon.

If he isn't backed as to the extent he possibly wants he won't renew his contract and will leave end of next season when it expires.

I can't see him wanting to stay if the club isn't moving forward.

Personally I think he has to take some of the blame aswell of course.

I also think Lerner will be here in the summer and beyond for another 1-2 seasons yet, just a hunch.

Before the premature demise of our one true ITK both he and I spoke about why Lambert would leave one rebuilding job in mid plan if you like to start another?

The ITK put forward several reasons which was down to opinion more than anything else but when I persisted on that question I got the answer that no-one really knew.

My opinion was and still is this.

To move from one club where he was much liked by fans and board to another whose chairman won't back him in the transfer market he must nevertheless have received some sort of assurance that he would be backed in the transfer market through gutting the club of its high wage malingerers and replacing those with young hungry players or more experienced players as he saw fit.

That limited financial backing has now been reduced to a tap drip.

Either the chairman after another two years of poor performances has said enough is enough and refused to spend anymore through a manager he has no confidence in but can't sack him through current league placement or, which I believe more likely, our chairman wants out and has withdrawn finance in preparation to sell the club.

I also believe if this is the case then Lambert would have to be kept informed of developments to stop him showing unrest in the media.

This could therefore mean that a buyer for the club has already been identified with Lambert to be kept in place as manager but the sale won't take place until the summer window and Lambert's remit up until that time was and is now, to keep us in the Premiership with little or no backing in the transfer market until the sale of the club goes through.

This scenario is the only one that makes sense to me. The alternative is that our chairman has reneged on those assurances to Lambert and if that is so, why hasn't Lambert walked as he has done before?

If we stay up and thankfully that is looking likely even though we have generally been poor again this season then I would suggest this summer is going to be very interesting indeed.

Edited by Morpheus

I'd like to see Lambert given significant backing as I have a feeling he would do very well with it. 30 - 40 mill in fees and 200 - 250k a week to spend on 4 or 5 players. Its not Chelsea/Man City/United/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs level funding but I think it would be enough to see us make significant progress under Lambert and get us into the top 8 pushing for top 6. Sadly I don't think we will get to find out if I am right.

If the club doesn't have the money then what can you do?

You can't expect a sugar daddy to just keep pumping money into the club if we can't generate our own income.

You really believe that signing Bertrand and grant Holt on loan is all we can afford?

Summer is make of break I reckon.

If he isn't backed as to the extent he possibly wants he won't renew his contract and will leave end of next season when it expires.

I can't see him wanting to stay if the club isn't moving forward.

Personally I think he has to take some of the blame aswell of course.

I also think Lerner will be here in the summer and beyond for another 1-2 seasons yet, just a hunch.

Blame for what, the owner not willing to move the club forward? That's a bizarre statement.

Â