Paul Lambert

limpid

I can certainly agree with BJ10 about the entertainment factor. There is no doubt that PL had us playing much more conservative in an attempt to secure more points early and unfortunately it meant we had some ridiculously poor games as a result. I'd much prefer us playing the way we have been recently except against the Man City and Chelsea like teams.

However the league table really doesn't lie. If the team is coming tenth its because we have been the 10th best team over the season. You can say its because the other teams are shit but thats nothing new. We are in a very good position to hopefully get to that magic 40 point mark with a few games in hand and should finish mid table. Given where we are with Lambert rebuilding the team I am happy with that. 

BJ, I don't know what you want. You say you want results, then berate those use the league table to back up their point

The league table shows our results in comparison to other teams...
That's strange, because it's the opposite of how you talked about the financial league table - you said other teams had "overtaken us, and that was bad and Randy's fault.

Yet when it comes to us overtaking other teams in the points table, then it's somehow different.

Then you haven't read my posts properly. I've clearly said our position in the league is good and it's because we're doing better than 10 other teams. BUT our position in the league doesn't mean that the results and performances have been great. It does mean we have more points than other teams just like the financial table shows other teams are increasing the money they've bought into the club.

I honestly believe that very few managers would have kept us up last season with that squad, and I honestly believe that we would be in the bottom third this season if Lambert wasn't an exceptional manager. What stands out to me is that he actually develops players, which is a great talent to have as a manager, he has nurtured and great team ethic and togetherness and is tactically flexible! Many manager will have a system and philosophy and never deviate, but for me I have always thought that the best managers pick the philosophy and system that will get the best out of the players, and then if you want to implement your preferred system and philosophy you change things gradually as players develop and new player in and integrate.

This is perfect.

I don't agree other managers couldn't have kept us up while cutting the wage bill. I'm also not sure what evidence there is that he nutures players. A lot of them have gone backwards this season.

Delph(especially), Weimann, Clark(this season), Guzan and even Albrighton since he came back have all looked better than under other management. Even Gabby has been better than he has in 5 years

Lambert had to replace players he didn't think were good enough

So you disagree with lambert? As above you said those players were good enough.

Not good enough relatively. Hutton isn't a 40k RB. Warnock isn't a 40k LB. Collins and Dunne weren't 40k CB's.

horrible post, the thought of all that money wasted has me crying :( thats not even counting the other crap that was here before

IMO it really showed that Benteke was injured and off the form before turn of the year, and it took the whole team down. That's how it is for most of the teams in the league, take away Adam Johnson from Sunderland and they'd be shit, take away Michu and Nathan Dyer from Swansea and they're shit, take away Cabaye and Newcastle loses their edge etc.

Hopefully our spine of the team stays fit and on form, and we'll finish comfortably midtable.

But that's completely dismissing any sort of context. 

You mention lowered expectations, but I think it's just being realistic. The players we had under McLeish, we should have been doing better. Where we are now, under Lambert is about right.

You asked a question and it's been answered numerous times. Are you just going to keep asking it until you get an answer you like?

But those players who played under Mcleish and as you say should have been doing better assuming you think they had ability have been shown the door by Lambert and replaced with players who again are deemed to be no better than mid table or lower.

There's a lot of double standards on this site when it suits or when we get one or two decent results.

It's not double standards. Lambert had to replace players he didn't think were good enough on 30-50k with players on a fraction of that. What else do you expect other than mid table when we don't pay big wages?

Your argument fails on two points.

One Lambert has already stated that there is no wage cap just sensibility and two Benteke and Weimann have been awarded new contracts with higher wages rumoured to be anything between 30,000-40,000 per week.

Delph and Gabby who admittedly were already on big wages before Lambert came to the club haven't become members of the 'Bomb Squad' due to those wages and i'm sure Vlaar isn't on anything less than 20,000-25,000 with that also likely to increase. Bertrand would be earning similar to Vlaar or maybe even more depending on the terms of loan. 

If only we were spending these fees on those players right now

LAMBERT OUT!!

What sort of fees did we bring back in again with the sale of Milner, Barry and Young which should have offset those mistakes.

your missing the point Morpheus. the players you mentioned are deserving of their salaries and a reason they are not in the bomb squad. players that are in the bomb squad as their shit not because they get big salaries. Bannan wasnt on big money

Edited by Zatman

your missing the point Morpheus. the players you mentioned are deserving of their salaries and a reason they are not in the bomb squad. players that are in the bomb squad as their shit not because they get big salaries. Bannan wasnt on big money

Yep, the players that has been bombed out are the ones that didn't deserve their salaries.

Bannan was on a decent wedge, so is the Fonz

No I'm not missing the point at all.

The poster stated that we are a mid table team due to wages paid. I'm simply stating that there are several players in our squad who are on top 7 income.

Edited by Morpheus

Don't forget the transfer fees. Didn't we pay something like £8m for Warnock? £9m for Davies, £8.5m for NRC, £8m for Cuellar...

Jesus **** wept.

Frightening really isn't it and McGrath only knows how much they were getting paid weekly. Is Hutton still on £30k+ per week?!

Lambert has done a good job managing the crap left behind...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

So, Lambert didn't get the number 10 he wanted and he didn't get the experience he was talking about at the start of the window (unless we were planning to loan Holt even if Kozak didn't get injured which I very much doubt). Lambert hasn't been backed in this window and has already jumped out to say we may not be able to afford Bertrand in the Summer even if he wants him to stay permanently. Unless the board are going to give him some good reasons to stay on as our manager, I can't see there being much point for Lambert to stay or sign a new contract with us. 

On the flip side we obviously could go on a bad run, possibly even get relegated still, although this looks unlikely as things stand. If this did happen then we'd have the upper hand should the board want to get rid of Lambert, but either way you look at it I think the future of his position looks worryingly unstable. I'm not sure who we'd bring in to replace him if he was either sacked or left of his own accord and I'm also not sure what exactly a new manager could do if there isn't any money to spend to improve or change the squad.

This window has been an eye opener, I really do hope that we finish strong and Lambert signs a new deal which is followed by proper financial backing in the Summer. Unfortunately, I don't really see this happening as things stand, even if we do finish strongly. All we can do is keep the faith I guess but I'm starting to dislike Lerner more and more as the weeks go by.

• Like 1

I agree that if we manage to finish strongly and well clear of the relegation zone and backing is not forthcoming then Lambert will want to look at his position closely.

We'll not be challenging for anything on this kind of budget, wages in particular. So what would be left for him? As with Norwich he'll have taken us as far as he can quick time.

I'm not saying he'd walk, but he's certainly be open to moving on. Or should be even.

I agree that if we manage to finish strongly and well clear of the relegation zone and backing is not forthcoming then Lambert will want to look at his position closely.

We'll not be challenging for anything on this kind of budget, wages in particular. So what would be left for him? As with Norwich he'll have taken us as far as he can quick time.

I'm not saying he'd walk, but he's certainly be open to moving on. Or should be even.

Yup and if there were any clubs interested in him, which I'd assume there would be if we did finish strongly, he'd be a promising candidate especially as there wouldn't be a big compensation fee to pay. Overhauling an entire squad with about £40m and lowering the wage structure dramatically over 2 seasons whilst still being able to finish midtable in the Premier League would be some feat.

Â