Paul Lambert

limpid

BJ, I don't know what you want. You say you want results, then berate those use the league table to back up their point

The league table shows our results in comparison to other teams. If you think 6 wins, 27 points and 28 goals from 24 games equals good results then that's fine. It doesn't to me.

However the last two results have been great and I've really enjoyed them. Like I said results first and if we play well its a bonus.

P23 W6 GF28 Pts27 10th

P23 W6 GF29 Pts28 11th

One of those it was fine to comment on how unenjoyable the season had been. One of those it isn't.

Why?

Because this season has been far more entertaining than McLeish could ever dream about. Regardless of some results which as stated don't go hand in hand with being entertaining.

If you're not enjoying this season more than when we had McLeish then I'd find another hobbie.

We've won the same amount of games, scored less goals and I'd be surprised if our possession and long ball stats were as bad under McLeish.

The season under mcleish was awful but I think the last two results are clouding your memory on what most games have been like this season.

You can't just dismiss the context and look purely at the points totals. Where we are right now is fine, even good because of the context. It's madness to just disregard it.

Again you're missing the point. No one had any issues with anyone who didn't think the season wasn't great under McLeish. Yet its the same now and not enjoying this season is now a major controversial issue.

But that's completely dismissing any sort of context. 

You mention lowered expectations, but I think it's just being realistic. The players we had under McLeish, we should have been doing better. Where we are now, under Lambert is about right.

You asked a question and it's been answered numerous times. Are you just going to keep asking it until you get an answer you like?

• Like 2

I think 10th place is a good league position to be in. I think we've had a better 23 game period than we did last year. I think the defence looks better than last year and for the first time in a long time I'm looking at future games thinking we're going to get both a good result and performance from the team.

But none of that changes how poor the previous results and performances were and how little i've enjoyed the season so far.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone would of left villa park after losing to palaca, a happy person. However most could see the bigger picture and that's important.

We are where we are in the league as that's where we deserve to be, not because other teams have been shit. United didn't win the league last season because the other teams had poor results, they won it because they were better than the other teams. We are currently better than 10 other teams in the league. Youre trying to analyze everything, if we finish 10th then that will help us attract better players. Theyre not going to sit down and analyze ppg, possession and pass comletition stats. The glass is half full, not half empty.

Seriously I'm not sure what you're missing. Being 10th is good for the team and you're 100% right a higher league finish will attract players and help us build for next season.

BUT that doesn't mean that the results AND performance HAVE been GOOD.

So being 10th is good? but the very results that achieved 10th place are not good?  This doesn't make sense!!

I understand to some degree that you don't believe that performances are "good" but again if our performances were any better, we would win more and we would be on more points and higher than 10th which would be unrealistic at the moment.

We are a typical mid-table side putting in some good performances, some average performances and a fair few crap performances

But if its entertainment you're looking for, what about if we introduced cheerleaders for half-time - would that help?

So being 10th is good? but the very results that achieved 10th place are not good? This doesn't make sense!!

I'll try and whip up a graph.

But if its entertainment you're looking for, what about if we introduced cheerleaders for half-time - would that help?

Try reading before poor attempts at mocking others.

• Like 1

You mention lowered expectations, but I think it's just being realistic. The players we had under McLeish, we should have been doing better. Where we are now, under Lambert is about right.

You asked a question and it's been answered numerous times. Are you just going to keep asking it until you get an answer you like?

But those players who played under Mcleish and as you say should have been doing better assuming you think they had ability have been shown the door by Lambert and replaced with players who are deemed to be no better than mid table or lower.

There's a lot of double standards on this site when it suits or when we get one or two decent results.

Edited by Morpheus

But those players who played under Mcleish and as you say should have been doing better assuming you think they had ability have been shown the door by Lambert and replaced with players who again are deemed to be no better than mid table or lower.

There's a lot of double standards on this site when it suits or when we get one or two decent results.

It's not double standards. Lambert had to replace players he didn't think were good enough on 30-50k with players on a fraction of that. What else do you expect other than mid table when we don't pay big wages?

So being 10th is good? but the very results that achieved 10th place are not good? This doesn't make sense!!

Here's a good one for you BJ - starting at the end of last season, this is a chart of our total points from the previous 38 games - if we continue on the upward trajectory I'm sure we will get to a place where you feel "good" about things

38games_zps56989f5a.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a good one for you BJ - starting at the end of last season, this is a chart of our total points from the previous 38 games - if we continue on the upward trajectory I'm sure we will get to a place where you feel "good" about things

38games_zps56989f5a.jpg

Hopefully we will. Really enjoyed the last two games, like I really enjoyed the final period of last year.

More of the same please.

Lambert had to replace players he didn't think were good enough

So you disagree with lambert? As above you said those players were good enough.

Not good enough relatively. Hutton isn't a 40k RB. Warnock isn't a 40k LB. Collins and Dunne weren't 40k CB's.

But those players who played under Mcleish and as you say should have been doing better assuming you think they had ability have been shown the door by Lambert and replaced with players who are deemed to be no better than mid table or lower.

No I don't think they had the ability which is why not one (not one) has gone on to play for a team higher placed than us

There are no double standards - posters here have been saying the same thing for two seasons

...if we continue on the upward trajectory I'm sure we will get to a place where you feel "good" about things

Indeed. We'll be getting an ever increasing number of points per game and no one will ever be able to even swim in our wake!

Edited by snowychap

I really don't like being fair to BJ 10. It feels dirty, but to be fair to him....

About game 15-19 on the chart above was a pretty lousy trajectory and I was pretty depressed about it.

Any upward trajectory must eventually slow and reverse. I doubt we are on our way to a 38 game win streak.

Now, to feel better about myself, I think BJ 10, (and others) are deeply passionate Villa fans who want us to be great. They are just sometimes annoyingly negative about the people or processes thet think inhibit our greatness. If they blamed the 11 players wearing the other uniform, or the guy in black, or at least 19 other clubs all doing their best to harm our success, I would find them much less annoying. (Sorry BJ)

BJ, I don't know what you want. You say you want results, then berate those use the league table to back up their point

The league table shows our results in comparison to other teams...

That's strange, because it's the opposite of how you talked about the financial league table - you said other teams had "overtaken us, and that was bad and Randy's fault.

Yet when it comes to us overtaking other teams in the points table, then it's somehow different.

Simple question. Before last night how many games this season have you really enjoyed watching this season? Not just the odd moment but really enjoyed?

I'd say 3, arsenal (a), man city (h) and Liverpool (a)

Before last night we'd also won 6 out of 22 games.

I'm sorry but for me the results AND performances have not been enjoyable. If others have enjoyed what they've seen this year then that's up to you. My main point is that our league position doesn't add to my enjoyment, I wish I could be like some of you and gain pleasure from a table. I'd save a fortune and time by giving up my season ticket and loading up the sky sports app.

Arsenal (a), Southampton (a), West Brom (h) and the second half against City. So out of 18 games I've enjoyed three and a half games, not really worth the funds I've paid for a ST and the five away games I've attended this season. I didn't attend Chelsea, Norwich, Fulham and Sunderland away and Palace at home. 

This season has been enjoyable on the odd occasion, expect for the games I've noted above it has been shite, at times its been unbearable to watch. Losing away to Stoke was probably one of the worst moments I've experienced as an Aston Villa fan.

Edited by Avflife

The league table shows our results in comparison to other teams...
That's strange, because it's the opposite of how you talked about the financial league table - you said other teams had "overtaken us, and that was bad and Randy's fault.

Yet when it comes to us overtaking other teams in the points table, then it's somehow different.

I usually disagree with big john, but this point actually makes sense. Lambert should be credited with the rise up the table on a tight budget, while I would think the owner bears more responsibility for the revenue brought in.

Â