Paul Lambert

limpid

Some excellent, reasoned posts on this thread this morning. It makes for very interesting reading.

For what it is worth, I am convinced that the summer window will be make or break for Lerner/Lambert, and will at least confirm where we are going as a club.

• Like 2

Summer is make of break I reckon.

If he isn't backed as to the extent he possibly wants he won't renew his contract and will leave end of next season when it expires.

I can't see him wanting to stay if the club isn't moving forward.

Personally I think he has to take some of the blame aswell of course.

I also think Lerner will be here in the summer and beyond for another 1-2 seasons yet, just a hunch.

Blame for what, the owner not willing to move the club forward? That's a bizarre statement.

He has to take some of the responsibility on some of the dud purchases (Bowery, Luna and Bennett for example) and some of the performances this season.

The cup games performances (Bradford last season and Sheffield United this season) were demoralizing and humiliating and that is something I personally won't be forgetting for a while, this is totally on Lambert.

Nothing bizarre about it, it's called having a different opinion.

We seemed to have turned a corner but let's see, we have been here before.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

Summer is make of break I reckon.

If he isn't backed as to the extent he possibly wants he won't renew his contract and will leave end of next season when it expires.

I can't see him wanting to stay if the club isn't moving forward.

Personally I think he has to take some of the blame aswell of course.

I also think Lerner will be here in the summer and beyond for another 1-2 seasons yet, just a hunch.

Blame for what, the owner not willing to move the club forward? That's a bizarre statement.

He has to take some of the responsibility on some of the dud purchases (Bowery, Luna and Bennett for example) and some of the performances this season.

The cup games performances (Bradford last season and Sheffield United this season) were demoralizing and humiliating and that is something I personally won't be forgetting for a while, this is totally on Lambert.

Nothing bizarre about it, it's called having a different opinion.

We seemed to have turned a corner but let's see, we have been here before.

Ok. You seemed to be insinuating Lambert is in part at fault for not being backed by the chairman.

Some excellent, reasoned posts on this thread this morning. It makes for very interesting reading.

For what it is worth, I am convinced that the summer window will be make or break for Lerner/Lambert, and will at least confirm where we are going as a club.

Not criticising you but I thought it would take a bit longer before someone wrote saying the summer window would be the time to judge lol, I look forward to reading in September posters once again writing wait until the end of January to judge.

Lambert is going to walk in the summer unless our chairman goes first

Going to be interesting to see his face when Benteke is sold under his nose and he's given 50p of the transfer fee to reinvest in the team

I think it is fairly obvious that the agreement for Benteke staying was that he is allowed to go this summer and we bought Kozak in as a replacement and give him a year to settle. I'd say it is good planning by all involved and is the total opposite of being sold under his nose.

My God there are an awful lot of presumptions being made on here - worse than ever.  How do any of you know PL wasn't backed ?

Perhaps who he wanted wouldn't come ?  Perhaps who he wanted was too costly - even for PL ?

Look around - this 'window' is full of nothing for nearly everybody.why should we be different.

Perhaps PL is reasonably ok with where we are at and dosn't feel what could have been added was worth it ?

Many people appear to feel hard done by simply because there was a buying period and we didn't.  Loads of people didn't - just as in the days before there was this ridiculous 'window' - and all the hype that people have fallen for off Sky these last few years, where it has become a spectator sport in itself - many Teams went all season without having to drip feed new excitement to impatient fans.

Just perhaps, that's all.

Here, have a read:

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert wants a 'number 10'

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/9103801/

Paul Lambert: We want a playmaker who can make things happen

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-lambert-want-playmaker-who-6469808

Villa boss rules out moves for Defour and Kiyotake

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-paul-6521045

Paul Lambert targeting more experienced players in January window

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-targeting-6455693

It has been obvious for over a month that Lambert wanted to do the following things:

- Sign a playmaker or 'number 10'

- Sign players with experience

- Sign players to strengthen several positions

Now you could argue that he got experience in Holt, but I don't think Holt would have been signed had Kozak not been injured and therefore do not believe he was a 'planned' target.

As for the playmaker, well it is clear that he didn't get what he wanted as he has explained many times exactly what he was after, so any suggestions of Lambert being happy with what he has got and not wanting to sign anybody else is ridiculous. He himself has stated that there were signings "we couldn't do", so there are clearly a wealth of targets that he has identified but the club have been unable to make progress with any of them bar one (being Bertrand on a 6 month loan).

For me, knowing that Lambert has identified an array of targets but the club have only been able to sign 1 of these targets on a 6 month loan as well as a player who was brought in as an emergency loan to cover a player who broke his leg, is white frankly unbelievable. Lambert has not been backed, it is evident for us all to see, but of course if you choose to look past what is in front of your eyes then that is entirely up to you.

Edit:

For the record, I am happy that we signed Bertrand and I am also happy that we managed to bring somebody in to cover Kozak after his unfortunate accident. Even so, I am not happy that Lambert hasn't been backed with more than just 1 of his targets, who even then is merely on loan for a few months.

But, I repeat - nobody has ANY IDEA whether this is due to a lack of backing or players not wanting to come or players being a ridiculous cost.

I am neither supporting or defending either the owner or PL, nor am I, Big J, giving, "a poor excuse".

If people dont like how many points we have, how we play, or certain players, that is up to them.  But for people who have no facts at all to state that they know PL either doesn't know what he is doing, or the owner wont back him, is just negativity for its own sake.

Looking at what is largely dross signed in this window might suggest that there could at least be other reasons.  Looking at even the likes of Arsenal loaning a 30 year old midfielder suggests there could be other reasons .

I happen to think RL could well have lost interest...but I dont know that, and neither does anyone else.  Perhaps PL is fully on board withwhere we are at.

Since my post was only saying that PERHAPS -this might be the case I cant help thinking that those who dont like it must have an agenda of other sorts.

No agenda, I just think it is blatant to see that Lambert did indeed want more than what we acquired in the window and he suggested so right up until the final few days. The idea of him being happy with the squad and not wanting to sign anybody else obviously isn't true, I don't feel hard done by but I feel that Lambert has been.

If Bertrand believes staying with us is a possibility and he wanted to work with Lambert, then why did we not sign him permanently? Why a loan deal only? I suspect that may have something to do with why Lambert jumped out to say we may not have the funds to sign him in the Summer, because we probably don't have the funds now either. Of course it could be that Bertrand doesn't want to come here permanently, maybe he wants to make an impact and get a move to a team higher up in the league, which is fine and perfectly understandable.

It is all speculation I know, but from what HH told us before the window (that we haven't got the money to sign anybody and we may possibly get one loan in if we can), it is obvious that the money isn't there to back Lambert with whatever targets he identified. 

No agenda, I just think it is blatant to see that Lambert did indeed want more than what we acquired in the window and he suggested so right up until the final few days. The idea of him being happy with the squad and not wanting to sign anybody else obviously isn't true, I don't feel hard done by but I feel that Lambert has been.

If Bertrand believes staying with us is a possibility and he wanted to work with Lambert, then why did we not sign him permanently? Why a loan deal only? I suspect that may have something to do with why Lambert jumped out to say we may not have the funds to sign him in the Summer, because we probably don't have the funds now either. Of course it could be that Bertrand doesn't want to come here permanently, maybe he wants to make an impact and get a move to a team higher up in the league, which is fine and perfectly understandable.

It is all speculation I know, but from what HH told us before the window (that we haven't got the money to sign anybody and we may possibly get one loan in if we can), it is obvious that the money isn't there to back Lambert with whatever targets he identified. 

Never suggested that.  The closest I got to that was he may have been happy that whatever was available, at whatever cost, was not worth it.  He may not have wanted t opay 'x'wages for Player Available, preferring to get Different Player on 'y' wages later.

All I am saying is we dont know - and that the evidence of so many other 'lack lustre' dealings at leasst presents the possibility that similar situations have happened elsewhere.

You mention 'why on loan' and give your suspicions - but what are they based on, just more conjecture- we have absolutely no idea why a loan.  Could have been Chelsea, the Player, PL, wages, RL, anything.

That is why I say I get puzzled by people - why 'suspect' something bad when there  is no mor ereason to than to 'suspect' nothing at all.  Some fans - not you necessarily - are talking themselves into a cycle of negativity and despair.

Fair enough, we get beat, people moan, a player cocks up, they moan (never been one to moan ay my Club personally but I totally understand it).

But why are people moaning/etc at stuff that may exist only in their own heads ?

And if we haven't got the money, we haven't got the money.

Theres a lot of things I haven't got the money for - no point at all in complaining, again, unless one wants t ofoster the belief that in some way PL and his advisors were duped when they took the job  - lol.

I think its pretty obvious Lambert would have signed players if given backing. Look at last Jan and the desperate state of our squad, was he backed then?

If Lerner was happy to gamble with our premiership survival 12 months ago I see little reason to think he was prepared to spend more when we're not as desperate.

Theres a lot of things I haven't got the money for - no point at all in complaining, again, unless one wants t ofoster the belief that in some way PL and his advisors were duped when they took the job - lol.

Why haven't we got the money? Even though lerner has allowed other teams to catch us we still earn more money than the majority of premier league teams. You can't really believe that a club like ours could only afford Bertrand and Holt on loan. I wouldn't believe that under Doug let alone now when more money is in the game.

Theres a lot of things I haven't got the money for - no point at all in complaining, again, unless one wants t ofoster the belief that in some way PL and his advisors were duped when they took the job - lol.

Why haven't we got the money? Even though lerner has allowed other teams to catch us we still earn more money than the majority of premier league teams. You can't really believe that a club like ours could only afford Bertrand and Holt on loan. I wouldn't believe that under Doug let alone now when more money is in the game.

If I thought you really were interested in my opinion I would say why it may be we dont have the money , but I get the feeling you are determined to stick to your view.  I on the other hand, am simply suggesting what MAY be the case.

• Like 1

If I thought you really were interested in my opinion I would say why it may be we dont have the money , but I get the feeling you are determined to stick to your view. I on the other hand, am simply suggesting what MAY be the case.

I won't be changing my view but I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to hear why you think we haven't got the money.

As far as I'm concerned, the transfer windows gone so we go with what we've got.

If N'Zogbia can do a job when he comes back, and Gardner can get a few games in then we've got the numbers in Midfield. We're maybe lacking in a bit of quality but we shall see.

My only worry for the rest of the season is that we won't play with the same intensity as last season, due to us not being do desperate for points.

I'm not going to lie, Lambert is frustrating at times but I'm behind him 100% - He's doing the best with what he's got IMO!

Anyone else think Lambert deserves manager of the month for January? We had a really shitty December (as per usual) but we started January with a good win away at Sunderland. Probably unfortunate to lose against Arsenal at home followed by a very good draw at Anfield in a game we might've won were it not for Gabby's injury and Suarez's cheating. Coming from 2-0 down to beat West Brom was a great finish to a good month. Complete contrast to the shit after the Southampton win early December.

Edited by Mantis

Before the premature demise of our one true ITK both he and I spoke about why Lambert would leave one rebuilding job in mid plan if you like to start another?

The ITK put forward several reasons which was down to opinion more than anything else but when I persisted on that question I got the answer that no-one really knew.

My opinion was and still is this.

To move from one club where he was much liked by fans and board to another whose chairman won't back him in the transfer market he must nevertheless have received some sort of assurance that he would be backed in the transfer market through gutting the club of its high wage malingerers and replacing those with young hungry players or more experienced players as he saw fit.

That limited financial backing has now been reduced to a tap drip.

Either the chairman after another two years of poor performances has said enough is enough and refused to spend anymore through a manager he has no confidence in but can't sack him through current league placement or, which I believe more likely, our chairman wants out and has withdrawn finance in preparation to sell the club.

I also believe if this is the case then Lambert would have to be kept informed of developments to stop him showing unrest in the media.

This could therefore mean that a buyer for the club has already been identified with Lambert to be kept in place as manager but the sale won't take place until the summer window and Lambert's remit up until that time was and is now, to keep us in the Premiership with little or no backing in the transfer market until the sale of the club goes through.

This scenario is the only one that makes sense to me. The alternative is that our chairman has reneged on those assurances to Lambert and if that is so, why hasn't Lambert walked as he has done before?

If we stay up and thankfully that is looking likely even though we have generally been poor again this season then I would suggest this summer is going to be very interesting indeed.

Apart from the highlighted part, I think that this is a possibility

If I thought you really were interested in my opinion I would say why it may be we dont have the money , but I get the feeling you are determined to stick to your view. I on the other hand, am simply suggesting what MAY be the case.

I won't be changing my view but I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to hear why you think we haven't got the money.

Ok.

First up - I didn't say I dont think we have the money. !!!!!!!!!!!!  I actually said 'if we dont have the money we dont'  -big difference ?

I actually said PERHAPS there are perfectly non-suspicious/non-doom and gloom reasons why we didn't buy people.

And I really struggle with anyone who can't accept that perhaps that is so.  Fair enough ?

BUT - it MAY be the case that for a long term sustainable plan there may not be 'the money' as we are calling it. 

So I dont know whether we have or not, and I am not saying we have or we haven't.

But if someone said to me 'can you think of any possible way we don't have 'the money' to invest that fans think we should have' - which is what you seem to be saying - then yes, I can.

It starts by me not being presumptious enough to think I KNOW what is the right amount of investment and what isn't.  I suggest nobody on these Boards  - even the accountants- is anywhere near knowledgeable enough to know what is and what isn't correct investment levels.  We dont KNOW the TRUE strength or weaknesses of our competitors, their real ability to raise capital, what wages they pay, what contracts are involved, what new markets or commercial revenue they may be able to exploit  -or ANYTHING.  We didn't know about Man CIty, people didn't predict Leicester - how many more ? Nobody knows. Asian and American markets.  Future interest rates.  Sides who may sell grounds and relocate.  Southampton ?  We dont know how overborrowed some are to compete - will they fall apart ?

I am not drawing anything from this, simply to say we think as fans we know ABC - but there is a huge amount we dont know.  We also dont know the other financial commitments of the owner - there a re a million things that could impact investment levels we dont know.

Some seem to think because 'we are Villa we should do better' - it is an utterly meaningless statement. (As it happens, asidefrom a couple of seasons we have never  - since the  war - been a threat -why ? Perhaps because we are in about the right relative place?)

SO we dont know.  As an example I drink where a well known musician drinks, and has for many years.   Not short of a few hundred million.  But a few years ago, seeing his own well loved local get run into, considered buying it - loose change we all thought.  But his accountants advised him against, (too big a drain long term) so he carried on sitting there with all the same crap as the rest of us.  When asked/pressed, could only suggest/imply that 'you lot dont realise it isn't as easy as you think'.

My point is, we dont know do we ?  We all 'know' what we would do if we had 600m, but we dont.

• Like 1

Anyone else think Lambert deserves manager of the month for January? We had a really shitty December (as per usual) but we started January with a good win away at Sunderland. Probably unfortunate to lose against Arsenal at home followed by a very good draw at Anfield in a game we might've won were it not for Gabby's injury and Suarez's cheating. Coming from 2-0 down to beat West Brom was a great finish to a good month. Complete contrast to the shit after the Southampton win early December.

Poyet perhaps ?

Or Moyes, he won one didn't he !!!!!LOL

I agree with you a good shout but we dont want it - kiss of death !

Poyet perhaps ?

Or Moyes, he won one didn't he !!!!!LOL

I agree with you a good shout but we dont want it - kiss of death !

Pretty sure Pellegrini will get that honour

12 points from 12 and 14-5 gd with 5-1 away to Spurs as the big one

Edited by sne

Â