The Greatest TV Show of All Time

maqroll

Greatest TV Show Ever  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your #1 TV Show of All Time?

• The Wire
    • Breaking Bad
    • The Sopranos
    • Game of Thrones
    • Mad Men
    • Doctor Who (Contemporary)
    • Twin Peaks
    • Deadwood
    • Curb Your Enthusiasm
    • The Office (UK)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

42 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Watched a couple of episodes of The Wire but didn't get into it, do I need to go back to that? Judging by comments on here, I think I do.

The Wire probably needs at least a half dozen episodes. That's not because it starts badly or anything, it's intentionally a slow burn. The show is as much about character arcs and world building as it is about a traditional beginning/middle/end plot and some of the storylines take dozens of episodes to pay off. The upside of this of course is that the payoffs are great, even little things matter and you really get to know the characters to the point where people who were just standing around in the background in season 1 might end up becoming key players later on. It's a brilliant television show. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ender4 said:

My top 10 in no particular order:

Friends

The Vampire Diaries

Lost

Suits

Breaking Bad

Battlestar Galactica

Entourage

Game of Thrones

The 100

Friends I don't get (one for another thread), never found it amusing in the slightest.

Suits, I would have put in my "all time" list but the last season that aired (without Mike) was pretty awful, only Harvey & Louis made it worth the effort.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Star Trek : The Next Generation says Hi.

Shit yeah, I watched all 177 (or is it 178) episodes back in the day, and most of the spin-offs and Enterprise-ish stuff. Only one I couldnt get into was the one with Sam from Quantum Leap as the captain.

Just now, rjw63 said:

Shit yeah, I watched all 177 (or is it 178) episodes back in the day, and most of the spin-offs and Enterprise-ish stuff. Only one I couldnt get into was the one with Sam from Quantum Leap as the captain.

I mean I know Star Trek will always come with nerdy baggage, but I think TNG in particular was watchable by any audience.  The cast was superb and it's still watchable.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AJ said:

Yep. That's what I thought. Another cop drama? A lot of people seem to like it and highly rate it, so there might be something special there. With the over saturation of cop dramas throughout the history of television, it would have to offer something really special to deserve this much love.

The WIre isn't really a Cop drama, for me.Sure, It's got cops in it, but they're never more than half the story. The Drug dealers, the Politicians, the Dock-workers, the Media are the other half, or more. If you give it a miss because it's a typical Cop show, you're making a mistake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I mean I know Star Trek will always come with nerdy baggage, but I think TNG in particular was watchable by any audience.  The cast was superb and it's still watchable.

Much superior to Star Wank, oops I mean Wars

16 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Friends I don't get (one for another thread), never found it amusing in the slightest.

friends benefitted from the timing, there wasn't a great deal on, you could smash your way through it and it made for good background noise, it had immense rewatchability, its very similar to the simpsons IMO you dont need to watch it at any particular point, you can just pick it up and run with it for an episode or 3 hours and then walk away again, my ex is still probably spending every sunday watching friends repeats on comedy central, I reckon I must have watched every episode at least 3 times, some episodes more than 10 and I wouldn't say that I think its brilliantly good or anything, it just seems to fit perfectly with viewing habits

I did hear one thing a few years back though which I cant get out of my head - where are all the black characters? set in new York, its not until Charlie comes in to it in about season 8 maybe that they have a reoccurring black central character

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It's available to buy  on Amazon Prime but you can't stream it at no additional cost to your Prime subscription (or Netflix). It's a HBO produced show so they don't do other streaming services. 

Balls. I guess that means I'm never going to see Chernobyl, either. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Balls. I guess that means I'm never going to see Chernobyl, either. 

If you can stomach it a NOWTV entertainment pass for one month would cover it. Luckily my partner did that as she is a Game of Thrones enthusiast. Actually you can get a 7 day free trial and cancel:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/free-trial

As Chernobyl is only 5 episodes that's actually manageable!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

If you can stomach it a NOWTV entertainment pass for one month would cover it. Luckily my partner did that as she is a Game of Thrones enthusiast. Actually you can get a 7 day free trial and cancel:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/free-trial

As Chernobyl is only 5 episodes that's actually manageable!

Yeah Chernobyl is basically a 5 hour film. You could easily watch it in 2 sittings.

Honestly if I'd had all 5 episodes available to me the day I started I reckon I'd have watched the whole thing in a day.

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

My top 10 in no particular order:

Lost

Moments of genuine awe inspiring TV. 

Mixed in with moments of shit as well. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

friends benefitted from the timing, there wasn't a great deal on, you could smash your way through it and it made for good background noise, it had immense rewatchability, its very similar to the simpsons IMO you dont need to watch it at any particular point, you can just pick it up and run with it for an episode or 3 hours and then walk away again, my ex is still probably spending every sunday watching friends repeats on comedy central, I reckon I must have watched every episode at least 3 times, some episodes more than 10 and I wouldn't say that I think its brilliantly good or anything, it just seems to fit perfectly with viewing habits

I did hear one thing a few years back though which I cant get out of my head - where are all the black characters? set in new York, its not until Charlie comes in to it in about season 8 maybe that they have a reoccurring black central character

You'd never get away with Friends now. Even though its not that old, it is very white!

I always though Frasier was far funnier. 

• Like 2

I guess I’ll go with the multi series* shows I’ve watched more than once all the way through:

The Wire 

West Wing

Seinfeld

Blackadder

I’ll have to include BB and BCS too, even though I’ve not actually watched them back. 

*which means Band of Brothers misses out, so stuff that. BoB goes on the list too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I guess I’ll go with the multi series* shows I’ve watched more than once all the way through:

The Wire 

West Wing

Seinfeld

Blackadder

I’ll have to include BB and BCS too, even though I’ve not actually watched them back. 

*which means Band of Brothers misses out, so stuff that. BoB goes on the list too. 

West Wing for me too, I've watched it about five times through.  Agree with the rest of your list as well, with the IT Crowd and The Office my favourite sitcoms.

Â