The Greatest TV Show of All Time

maqroll

Greatest TV Show Ever  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your #1 TV Show of All Time?

• The Wire
    • Breaking Bad
    • The Sopranos
    • Game of Thrones
    • Mad Men
    • Doctor Who (Contemporary)
    • Twin Peaks
    • Deadwood
    • Curb Your Enthusiasm
    • The Office (UK)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Hancock's Half Hour. Still funny and relevant to today's world.

The London 2012 Opening Ceremony. I fully expected our Olympics to be an embarrassing shambles. I was wrong. The show blew me away and is one of those shows that will always be in my memory. 

Villa European Cup win. I was only 11 but I remember every kick. Sitting on the floor in front of a TV that was tiny by today's standards. 

House. Not everyone's cup other tea. But it's unusual for an American comedy to use sarcasm athe it's core. 

Fawlty Towers.  You started it. 

Operation Good Guys. A lesser known improvised Police comedy. 

The Clangers. It still reminds me of childhood. 

The World At War. This should be on the curriculum for every schoolchild. Lawrence Olivier's commentary is just stunning. 

Deep Space 9 - the dominion wars. I hate 90% of Star Trek but these episodes were fabulous.

Morecombe & Wise Christmas Shows. So many classic moments and so many memories. 

Like for Operation Good Guys.

Particularly series 1 and 2 before they put a laughter track on it :( 

• Like 1

think it should be split in the same way that the GG does it, TV series and mini series, seen a lot this week about Chernobyl's ratings compared to the sopranos, it should be being compared to say band of brothers, so mine would then be -

sopranos and the wire way out in front followed by game of thrones, the x files, friends, the simpsons

band of brothers

not sure where you put fargo, do you judge each series as a mini series of the 3 entirely different series as 1 run? either way that would be in there too, same with planet earth / BBC + SDA stuff

My top five are...

Twin Peaks (way out in front because of 'The Return')

Mad Men

Fanny and Alexander

Addams Family (original sixties version)

Dekalog

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Heimat. Still Heimat. Watch it all the way through every 3 or 4 years. 

EDIT: So, this list was bumped, and I read through it again. And I realised how many of these shows I watched one episode of and decided not to proceed: 

South Park

The Office

Only Fools and Horses

The Wire

Deadwood

Game of Thrones

There are probably others. I did love Twin Peaks and Breaking Bad, though. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

My top five are...

Twin Peaks (way out in front because of 'The Return')

Mad Men

Fanny and Alexander

Addams Family (original sixties version)

Dekalog

Agreed on the top one. 

There is Twin Peaks and then everything else. 

Modern day TV exists because of TP. It’s untouchable. 

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

giphy.gif

Yep. That's what I thought. Another cop drama? A lot of people seem to like it and highly rate it, so there might be something special there. With the over saturation of cop dramas throughout the history of television, it would have to offer something really special to deserve this much love.

The Wire for me. Seasons 3 and 4 are sublime

24 is great - although very similar after a few series.

Wildcard would be Banshee - fantastic fun. 

Comedy would be Seinfled (utter brilliance), Curb and The Office (UK version of course)

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yep. That's what I thought. Another cop drama? A lot of people seem to like it and highly rate it, so there might be something special there. With the over saturation of cop dramas throughout the history of television, it would have to offer something really special to deserve this much love.

I just never took to it. Stopped watching a couple of episodes into series 3 IIRC. There are some brilliant characters. (Stringer Bell and Marlow especially) but I think Dominic West is some sort of parody of an actor - an inside joke from Equity or something. I get why people like it but it baffles me that people rated/rate it so highly. The politics and the crime/destitution etc make the show, I found the 'cop' bits rather laughable at times.

I have a friend who works as a professional cameraman and he assures me it's the best TV of all time. But then he thought Breaking Bad was drivel. Beauty in the eyes of the beholder and all that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I just never took to it. Stopped watching a couple of episodes into series 3 IIRC. There are some brilliant characters. (Stringer Bell and Marlow especially) but I think Dominic West is some sort of parody of an actor - an inside joke from Equity or something. I get why people like it but it baffles me that people rated/rate it so highly. The politics and the crime/destitution etc make the show, I found the 'cop' bits rather laughable at times.

I have a friend who works as a professional cameraman and he assures me it's the best TV of all time. But then he thought Breaking Bad was drivel. Beauty in the eyes of the beholder and all that.

Oh yes, definitely.

With people's tastes and experiences, there is going to be countless opinions to the question of the greatest TV show of all time, and nobody is wrong.

It would be wrong to criticise anyone's opinion here, as what might be the greatest to you may be considered the very definition of sensory crap to many others. I among many others, love South Park. Yet Tom Cruise and many others hate it. The animation is the crappiest, but the jokes and points about the ridiculousness of society are great. As with any opinion, it depends what overwhelms a person more about a show, the positive or the negative.

• Like 1

I liked Breaking Bad, but not as much as most. That's why I left Better Call Saul til after it had finished...I thought it was better than BB.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Apart from being a professional cameraman I'm the same, breaking bad was garbage, tried and failed to get in to it 3 times now

the wire hooked me big time, so many great characters (mcnulty not being one of them)

• Like 1

Â