Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Weird how they did look pretty shit in the groups at the back - did they even concede in the KO stages?

I thought they looked OK in defence in the groups tbh, they didn't concede too many chances overall.  The Hungary game was an oddity, it was one of those games where everything Hungary hit went in. Was it all three goals from outside the box, two of them as a result of significant deflections? 

26 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I thought they looked OK in defence in the groups tbh, they didn't concede too many chances overall.  The Hungary game was an oddity, it was one of those games where everything Hungary hit went in. Was it all three goals from outside the box, two of them as a result of significant deflections? 

They seemed a bit all over to me. Had little to do and didn't deal with what they had come their way. Iceland goals against them was possibly the worst defending of the tournament. Literally running away from where the ball was going.

Congrats to Portugal but this tournament has been boring, even with Wales run I've barely been interested.

The fact that a team that finished third in their group has won the trophy sums it up for me, please revert back to the old format.

• Like 1

Not aimed at you rds, but I've seen a lot of complaints about Portugal finishing 3rd and winning it. But it's not like the rules were made up after the group stages had finished. I can't imagine Portugal would've happily played out a 3-3 draw with Hungary if it meant them going out. Slovakia wouldn't have been able to sit back against England and we probably win the group. It would've changed an awful lot all around. 

While the quality of the tournament has been diluted, I'd honestly rather them switch to the 32 team World Cup format than this stupid 3rd place thing. The entire point of teams playing their group games at the same time on the last match day is to keep it fair. Yet in the 24 team format, it's not fair anyway. I don't see why teams in Group A should be at a disadvantage of not knowing whether to risk going for 3 points or settle for 1, when a team in Group G knows exactly what they have to do to see themselves through. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Don't you just hate it when some suit presenting the trophy isn't content with his part and tries to lift it as well.

One of my biggest pet hates in football.

Yep. If I were lifting a trophy like that (IT COULD HAPPEN!) I'd rip it out of the guys hands and move away from him before lifting it.

Although, Chelsea's CL trophy lift was infinitely more embarrassing. 

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

dunno but either way i think the point is portugal have been shit, probably worse than greece level shit

at least with greece they won with passion and played good teams throughout the tournament. portugual for me had one of the easiest routes to a final in history

Still think Deshamps made a huge clanger picking Sissoko over Kante. He has no class, you can tell that with the finish when he turned the defender in the first half. A player with class would curl that in the far corner. Deschamps then takes off a player with class Payet who can produce a moment of magic out of nothing ant any time in a match.  He had Pogba playing too deep in a role Kante would do far better,. Poor manager who got lucky against Germany and only good performance was against a worn out Iceland team. 

On 6/2/2016 at 16:41, Stevo985 said:

Portugal aren't an awful team. 

In fact the portuguese are excited about their chances this tournament. Their youngsters are very highly rated.

#StevoITK

Something the Ramble pointed out, did you notice the first decent free kick shooting opportunity they had when Ronaldo went off they hit the bar? After him taking every single one for the past million years and they're always crap!

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Something the Ramble pointed out, did you notice the first decent free kick shooting opportunity they had when Ronaldo went off they hit the bar? After him taking every single one for the past million years and they're always crap!

The one that came from Clattenberg giving the free kick the wrong way, giving Koscielny (white) a yellow when the ball hit Eder's (black) hand? :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

at least with greece they won with passion and played good teams throughout the tournament. portugual for me had one of the easiest routes to a final in history

France had a much easier route to the finals, only playing Germany of any note. Portugal played good teams and going distance 3 times out of 4 in Croatia, Poland and Wales before playing France

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

France had a much easier route to the finals, only playing Germany of any note. Portugal played good teams and going distance 3 times out of 4 in Croatia, Poland and Wales before playing France

Beating Germany itself is more difficult than Portugual's games combined in my view mate. 

Â