Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

So if the paper stories are to be believed it went pretty much like, he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa.  Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there, man-u were too busy pissing about and the (permanent?) Everton deal wasn't done before the window closed.  So then Villa went cup in hand to the premier league saying "well we already had the deal in place before the window shut" and then with no other option, he agreed to come along after the premier league ratified it.

Someone remind me what's actually the shocking part of this story, it just about sums up the typical footballer and club affair of today.  I'm just waiting for the "Villa are a massive club who deserve to be up there with the top with their history, as soon as the deal was on the table I made no hesitation to sign and I look forward to taking Villa back to where they deserve to be" quotes.

It's a funny old game.

You need dots to connect, you're now just making up what you like to have a go at Cleverly for pretty much nothing. 

Warning points a coming if I don't leave this thread. I really struggle with a lot of the things some people post on here.

Not sure where you read that as a post for having a go at Cleverly, maybe your dots are over ovulating.

It started with "if the papers were to be believed" sauce : http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9453183/transfer-news-tom-cleverley-joins-aston-villa-on-season-long-loan-from-manchester-united

It's your hyperbole to spin your agenda, like " he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa.  Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there" making it sound like he left Bodymoor Heath and dashed off to Everton, even though he was at BMH on the 1st and Everton yesterday.

He met with one potential employer, heard a better one was potentially interested a day later managed by a former boss of his, in the area that he and his family currently live in, and met with them too. As it transpires that fell through, so he took the Villa option and I'm sure will give his all for the cause. 

We'd all do it if it was our own careers so I don't see what he's done wrong.

But yesterday was the 1st

So if the paper stories are to be believed it went pretty much like, he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa. Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there, man-u were too busy pissing about and the (permanent?) Everton deal wasn't done before the window closed. So then Villa went cup in hand to the premier league saying "well we already had the deal in place before the window shut" and then with no other option, he agreed to come along after the premier league ratified it.

Someone remind me what's actually the shocking part of this story, it just about sums up the typical footballer and club affair of today. I'm just waiting for the "Villa are a massive club who deserve to be up there with the top with their history, as soon as the deal was on the table I made no hesitation to sign and I look forward to taking Villa back to where they deserve to be" quotes.

It's a funny old game.

I really don't like this post. Most of it I can accept as a valid opinion, what really grinds my gears is the assertion that we went "cup in hand" begging the premier league to let us have the player we wanted, that the player then had "no other option" than to join lowly little homeless Aston Villa.

The club did what it took to get the player that they wanted. They should be applauded rather than ridiculed simply because it didn't quite happen how we (all) would have liked. They got the job done, well done Lambert.

You don't like the post? That is most unfortunate.

However, the stories the papers are selling is that as soon as Everton came in he was off down to Merseyside having spent a day at bodymoor heath. The only reason the Everton deal didn't go through was due to missing the deadline, assuming then this is the 1st choice deal the player wanted. As there was no other time, faced with the prospect of sitting on the bench or playing for a team...he went for plan B which was only on the cards through Villa appealing to the premier league.

Believe what story you want, my post opened with "if the papers are to be believed" and that's how I interpret their story. Personally I couldn't give two shits about how the player arrived and under what circumstances, if he puts a good shift in he will be welcomed with loving open arms.

Only uproar is from people who still believe in some kind of player loyalty, as if this situation wasn't typical of most footballers. More fool them really, I personally care little for players providing they put the shift in on the pitch.

I feel like you didn't actually read my reply which details why I didn't like your post!

Anybody else reckon he's signed him as a number 10 rather than a cm, as he did in his Watford and Leicester days?

I think so. We also went for Canales, which shows Lambert still wanted an extra player in that position. Also, a few of my Man Utd supporting mates at work have said it's his best position. It's not his fault that Man Utd had about 70 players ahead of him in that position. His stats during his Watford loan are pretty amazing. 11 goals and a handful assists, was it? (even if it's just in the Championship).

FWIW for anyone that knows any professional footballer, they'll tell you that they listen to their agent, and the agent is the driving force behind contract negotiation and remuneration.

Footballers are often young men with little business acumen. Their agents are the ones that tell them how much they should be getting paid, play the clubs off against each other and such like.

I'm good friends with Steve Stone's daughter and meet Steve for drinks most times he's over here. He used to say that his agent would always tell him that he's got £x amount for another client and that he was worth more...blah blah... and they listen to it implicitly.

Tom Cleverley's agent came within a whisker of backing his client onto the reserve team scrapheap, and TC knows it. I'm sure he's personally happy he's better placed for first team football again. Don't forget that Delph has just taken one of the midfield slots for England potentially as Cleverley's expense, so there'll be healthy competition in the middle of the park in order to catch Woy's eye once more.

I also believe the 'loan' is just a version of the original deal in order to simply get it done, and we have an agreement to buy him permanently at the earliest opportunity - but that's just my feeling on the loan.

• Like 1

This story is way more believable than the one Sky are reporting, in all fairness.

Where agents are concerned, they're strictly interested in one thing...and that is what lines their pockets.

It's your hyperbole to spin your agenda, like " he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa.  Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there" making it sound like he left Bodymoor Heath and dashed off to Everton, even though he was at BMH on the 1st and Everton yesterday.

He met with one potential employer, heard a better one was potentially interested a day later managed by a former boss of his, in the area that he and his family currently live in, and met with them too. As it transpires that fell through, so he took the Villa option and I'm sure will give his all for the cause. 

We'd all do it if it was our own careers so I don't see what he's done wrong.

Hyperbole like putting words that aren't there?  I didn't say, or hint, at any time that I thought what he was doing was wrong.  I also didn't put any "spin" or suggestions as to where the bus originated from...but please do continue.

Nah. Not worth the effort as now I'm not sure what point you're making.

It seems you're angry with him for deeming us to be a plan B, but then you say he hasn't done anything wrong. Seems silly to prolong it as he's a Villan now and we all wish him well.

I feel like you didn't actually read my reply which details why I didn't like your post!

It's funny, because I feel that you didn't actually read my post that starts with the caveat "if the papers are to be believed".  In that it's not even my opinion, it's how I interpret the way the papers are selling that story.

We've signed a recent international....and guess what..other clubs were interested ! - we should be celebrating the fact that we fought off a Kate bid from Everton....not that he may have spoken to them....

I think ive lost my mantle as most downbeat VT poster tonight !!!!

We've signed a recent international....and guess what..other clubs were interested ! - we should be celebrating the fact that we fought off a Kate bid from Everton....not that he may have spoken to them....

Damn Middleton, working against William.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 4

I think ive lost my mantle as most downbeat VT poster tonight !!!!

Personally, I completely agree.  Any additions are welcome additions, if they do the business on the pitch for the villa whilst they're villa players then I care very little for what circumstances they've joined the team.  To this extent I welcome Tom Cleverly, and look forward to him hopefully strengthening our team.

cleverly should sack his agent as he almost blew the best deal for his player, i'm a bit surprised that players allow such people to represent them as it's their career that they are putting in these peoples hands, i'm sure they can think for themselves. although i think this a strange signing i would have gone for ben arfer who offers a great deal if you get him in the right frame of mind, still i will get behind cleverly and give him every chance of success at the villa........UTV

• Like 1

cleverly should sack his agent as he almost blew the best deal for his player, i'm a bit surprised that players allow such people to represent them as it's their career that they are putting in these peoples hands, i'm sure they can think for themselves. although i think this a strange signing i would have gone for ben arfer who offers a great deal if you get him in the right frame of mind, still i will get behind cleverly and give him every chance of success at the villa........UTV

You'd struggle fitting him into the frame of the TV at the minute.

• Like 1

Damn Middleton, working against William.

Wrong Kate, surely?

katebush.jpg

Fortunately she was too busy with her comeback concerts to follow through her interest in Tom C.   :)

Why drop Richardson ? Drop zog and move Richardson up.

With the games coming up, I can definitely see it been N'Zogbia that drops out, Richardson moved out wide with Clevelerly the most forward of the midfield 3

agreed

So, can anyone clear up as to why it's being reported that we have a £7.5m option in January, when he can sign for any club he wants on pre-contract? Why would we pay £7.5m when we can continue our season long loan and sign him on a contract for free?

Its a bit of an odd one.. This is my understanding.

So i think we will have him only up until January where Man U will probably terminate the loan unless we paid 7.5 million. Then its a battle to agree a pre contract where we may lose him to other clubs who offer higher wages (if hes been successful). If he sucks then we terminate the loan deal and we can spend that money on another player in January.

We cant really lose in this scenario. Be curious to know how much of his contract we are paying though.

Edited by KSV

So, can anyone clear up as to why it's being reported that we have a £7.5m option in January, when he can sign for any club he wants on pre-contract? Why would we pay £7.5m when we can continue our season long loan and sign him on a contract for free?

I don't think it is a 7.5m option. Its an option. I assume some lesser amount. Which will go to ManU to help offset the wages they paid him this season. Part of the "give" on Villa end was the ability for ManU to recall him during the season if they hit an injury crisis or some such,

Â