Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Yeah, it all seems too little too late. Unless the alternative was administration, but we were never in that dire a situation.

Fox got it totally wrong in the summer by not holding several interviews for the manager job. Just giving it to Sherwood was a colossal error in judgement and strategy, and it blew up in his face in just a few short months.

I'm not sold on Fox, despite his best pitch.

Just now, maqroll said:

Yeah, it all seems too little too late

Villa's biggest problem, every decision we make is a reactive one rather than a proactive one and as a result we are always behind.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

There's been a lot of good posts made in this thread of late.

Just looking away for a moment - this isn't a comparison as such, but just looking at the "model" elsewhere. Take Chelsea and Abramovic, or Man City and Sheik Mansour. Now I know they're way wealthier, but what they have in common with RL is that they stay out of the picture, and they have appointed a complete other set of people to run their clubs. They each set up structures, with expert people (or at least knowledgeable people) in all the roles. What Randy has done once the dust was settled on his takeover was to have a tiny team of people, barely any of whom have had the right level of expertise or experience and given them much wider roles.

Bu following that path he has failed to protect his investment. He's had manager's spend unsustainably, then he had an inexperienced CEO put the brakes on, when he realised. Cue disruption and manager strop off. Then he was left to find a new manager at the worst time possible, without a good team of advisers or experts to turn to. That pattern was repeated at each sacking. Get advice of people who haven't necessarily got the best interests of Villa or Randy at heart - be that Fergie or Arsene Wenger. Funnily enough they each recommended their mates for a job.

Tom Fox wasn't a CEO, he was a marketing guy.

Fox though has brought some structure and it looks like a new Chairman is coming along too. This is an improvement, structurally.  Unfortunately, as per the bit I quoted above, the people in the structure set up to oversee and set policy on transfers seem to have adopted a model which was unsuitable for the situation. A side that nearly went down, that then lost it's best players and the spine of the team followed a policy of replacing that loss of quality with not like for like replecements - internationals at Centre Forward, midfield and (to an extent) Centre half, but largely concentrated on unproven or end of career cheap signings, but a fair few of them. So the 40 million quid or whatever we got in, was spent back out, with a bit extra on top, on a whole bunch of lower quality players. What was needed was slot in replacements for the ones who left, and one or two extra players to replace other first teamers not consistent enough to allow us to improve league results.

It looks like the scouting and transfer network had the wrong policy. More money down the drain and a worse team.

So in essence I think Fox is putting a proper stucture in place, and that's good. But I'm not sure that the people being appointed have so far done a good job. It's something that should have been done 9 years ago, mind. Slow Lerner, you might say.

Welcome back Pete, you are 100% spot on mate

Sounds like a lot of none of this is my fault and nothing we haven't heard before from Faulkner and the General. 

A load of shit when the whole point of the club is an absolute embarrassing joke. Shame he didn't want to take some responsibility given the fact he's sacked 2 managers in 8 months. 

Sounds like nothing is going to change and even if we survive by some miracle, it will be more of the same. 

Not sure I believe him fully in terms of signings. Fox or the club give me little reason to trust what they say, neither does Sherwood though so who the **** knows what went on. It's a **** mess what ever it was that he helped put in place.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I wonder who the new Chairman will be? We were linked to some guy from Monaco in the summer, but I think he might have ended up getting a job at PSG.

I've just looked it up and it's 'Luis Campos' but he was their 'Technical Director' so doubt he'll be coming here as Chairman.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

According to TBAR (I realise that this perhaps makes it unlikely) the word from BMH is that David Dein is going to be the chairman. I'm not sure if that would be a good thing or not, I mean he's been away from the game for a while now. But we seem to love our Arsenal connections recently.

What difference is anyone going to make to this club under this owner? It doesn't matter one bit who gets the job. I've no doubt it will lead to nothing. Nearly every appointment made under Lerner has been poor and has led to nothing but more heart ache and misery. 

Not surprised to hear about Ayew, Richards and Hutton. When we play they are the only ones who seem to give a shit.

Notice that our 'club captain' isn't mentioned in the same way.

Edited by andym
  • Like 3

I'm afraid I don't fully remember the wording Mikey. He never mentioned Doug, but he talked about the club having fallen behind and came across to me to me like he was meaning to include the period since Lerner took over. It's difficult to answer questions properly, I'm keen not to misrepresent anything and other than the things I wrote down, I'm relying on a memory which then got filled with the Arsenal game.

Interesting on that audio that at the end he says he's looking forward to working with a Chairman that is local.

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Care to elaborate?

It's just hilarious how people read things and conclude such different things from them depending on their mindset.

I'm fairly sympathetic towards Fox and think the jury is still out on him, and I was really encouraged by what OBE reported.

You are obviously dead set against Fox (and anyone running the club) and you read it totally differently. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's just hilarious how people read things and conclude such different things from them depending on their mindset.

I'm fairly sympathetic towards Fox and think the jury is still out on him, and I was really encouraged by what OBE reported.

You are obviously dead set against Fox (and anyone running the club) and you read it totally differently. 

I'm not dead set against him, why would I be? he's not a manager or a player, he's a marketing expert employed to run the club. I just see no evidence to buy into anything he says.  I've fallen for it a few times with this club over the last few years and I won't be doing it again until I see evidence to back it up. The general and Faulkner used to say similar things to send the right message to the fans and it resulted in things just getting worse and worse. 

To be fair to Fox, I don't believe he's in a position to make much of a difference to the club, I don't for one second think he will take us forward while Lerner owns us.  There's nothing he can really do.  But on the flip side i've got little sympathy with the man running the show while this season pans out. 

I think hes a very good speaker and he'll obviously talk about the positives but the fact is we are run horribly, we are going down without a fight and we consistently hire the wrong people. All his nice talking and talk of sponsorship deals and revenue means absolutely squat to me when we are in our worst state since i started supporting us.

Faulkner was peddling all this nonsense years ago about the projects and how we are righting the wrongs and that will be beneficial in the long term but its all utter nonsense.

• Like 2

Â