Tom Fox

Cracker1234

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure he had the final say. From other reports it seemed that we were pushing more towards having this transfer committee.

I think it's the right idea, but like with everything under Lerner its been badly executed by Tom Fox and the rest.

There are reports and there are quotes. There is only one quote from Sherwood about transfers and he said that all signings were his. Anything else you've read was fabrication.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

• Like 3

As much as I don't rate Sherwood as a manager I don't think he had the final say on many of the deals.

My reasoning is that we signed two types of player this Summer. Young, talented, foreign signings who the English equivalent of would likely have been double the price and then two players in Gestede and Lescott who have experience playing in England. Two very distinct and different groups which leads me to believe that he didn't have much of a say in the majority of our deals but most likely championed the signings of Gestede and Lescott.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure he had the final say. From other reports it seemed that we were pushing more towards having this transfer committee.

I think it's the right idea, but like with everything under Lerner its been badly executed by Tom Fox and the rest.

Even Sherwood said he had the final say. The only quotes that exist from Sherwood on the matter confirm he had the final say, he took responsibility and they were his players.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

There are reports and there are quotes. There is only one quote from Sherwood about transfers and he said that all signings were his. Anything else you've read was fabrication.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

There are quotes in an article on the 8th November, from Sherwood talking about the transfer committee and not having the final say. 

That's clearly talking about finances. 

The suggestion is that Sherwood had players forced on him that he didn't want. 

That's the part that isn't true, unless people believe Lerner was the one deciding the transfer targets, which would be what that quote suggests?

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What are the good things fox has done or is doing?

He's effectively running the club and its getting worse from before he was appointed. I agree completely with collymore. Fox is way above where he should be in a football club.

I think bringing in Sherwood did actually save us last season.  It was the perfect scenario for Timothy.  Probably the only one he'll ever be good at.  Fire-fighting.  But it's what we needed at the time and it worked.  I also think getting rid of him and bringing in Garde was a good thing too.  Perhaps it could have been done sooner, but I think it was probably a sensible amount of time given by an employer to an employee considering what had been achieved the previous season and the amount of new players he was dealing with.  I think the hiring of Wijeratna and Almstadt were good appointments.  It has modernised the club hierarchically.  We now look like a fairly decent, well-run club OFF the pitch.  But it's someone else's fault that we're not spending the money ON the pitch.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Actually, the only quotes from Sherwood regarding transfers are that he was involved in all of them, he had the final say in all of them and that they were his signings so he took full responsibility for them.

I'm sorry, but this just isn't true:

Tim Sherwood gives an insight into Aston Villa transfer committee in first interview since sacking

Tim Sherwood has explained how Aston Villa’s summer signings were decided by a committee – with owner Randy Lerner having the final say.

Villa spent £52.5million on 12 new players and Sherwood’s disagreements with the policy of buying mainly youngsters was among the factors leading to his sacking last month, reports our sister title the Sunday Mirror.

Speaking for the first time since his dismissal, he revealed on Dubai-based TV station BeIN Sports: “There was a committee, which I was part of — so I had a say in the players I wanted to bring into the football club.

“We ended up signing 12 players, although there was a lot more players given to the committee than 12, and we ended up with what we ended up with.

“I believe that those players in time will be good players for the football club, but when you bring in a lot of players from other countries that have not played and experienced the Premier League before, the competitive nature of it, it is going to take time.

“I certainly had a say, but the final say? It was more of a combined collective decision and ultimately the man who puts his hand in his pocket is the one who has to make that decision.

“Randy Lerner has spent an awful lot of his money at that football club for a long, long period of time.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tim-sherwood-gives-insight-aston-10406255

• Like 3

See above. I think that's a different point, regarding finances.

It's akin to a manager saying I want player A, player B and Player C, and Lerner saying well we can only afford Player B and C so you can have them.

Just now, PieFacE said:

I read it as talking about the players we brought into the club, not who was financing it. 

It says "the man who puts his hand in his pocket is the one who has to make that decision."

That's quite obviously Lerner, and quite obviously about finances.

Unless you think Lerner was deciding the transfer targets then i don't see how you can see that as anything other than a point about money.

18 hours ago, Nabby said:

So any news from the meeting that took place today with supporters ? 

Not sure if any of this is true, it's what my work colleague has told me so take it as you will as I don't know how he would know or where he would get it from but I thought I would pass it on....

A new chairman and board member to come in the new year

A new kit manufacturer to be announced in the new year

He explained the player recruitment process from identification to purchase

Almstadt does not have a direct responsibility for the playing squad

Reilly is responsible for the recruitment of the better players in the squad

The manager has the right to veto a transfer at any point

Many aspects of the club not just the playing squad are not up to scratch and have not been for some time

Garde and Fox are to meet with Lerner

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think it's quite clear, he was part of a comitte and had some say in what was done. Seems the goal posts are being moved now there's quotes.

Not at all. The suggestion is that the club signed players that Sherwood didn't want.

That quote doesn't support that suggestion.

• Like 1

What that quote does support is the suggestion that Sherwood didn't get all of the players he wanted.

But like I said, that is a different point, and also something that every manager at every club has to deal with apart from clubs like Man City and Real Madrid.

Â