Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Which ever way we've done things. It's been a disaster. 

Everyone paid in the summer to do specific jobs has failed miserably so far. 

Blame Sherwood or fox it doesn't matter. As a team, they're failed and cemented this club to the championship.

Some can argue that it's how other clubs do it, the fact no other club is as bad as us makes that point completely irrelevant. 

What we've tried to do sounds good. But that's Aston Villa under Lerner. It usually sounds good but ends up being a disaster.

• Like 3

The mood music we've been getting since Fox arrived is that we are assembling a group of "development players" who will form the core of our squad no matter who is the manager, i.e. break out of the cycle of managers assembling their own squads, which then have to be dismantled and reassembled once the manager fails and is sacked.

Since Fox is now on his third manager, I think the buck for the quality and adequacy of the squad definitely stops with him.

I wonder if Sherwood, being a relatively new and inexperienced manager, allowed himself to be browbeaten into accepting players he didn't really rate? It seems like Garde will maybe be a bit more assertive about who he will accept in the squad. Let's hope so because on the evidence of this season so far, the buying we did in the summer was pretty much a disaster.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I find it difficult to believe that Sherwood actually watched all the players that were signed.  Not so long ago any manager signing a player in the way described would be thought to be taking a massive risk.

Then Sherwood had the opportunity to veto those players. 

I find it difficult to believe that Sherwood actually watched all the players that were signed.  Not so long ago any manager signing a player in the way described would be thought to be taking a massive risk.

Then Sherwood had the opportunity to veto those players. 

I doubt very much it was as simple as that, or that Sherwood had the absolute right of veto over any player.

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I doubt very much it was as simple as that, or that Sherwood had the absolute right of veto over any player.

According to anyone involved, including Sherwood, he did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

The mood music we've been getting since Fox arrived is that we are assembling a group of "development players" who will form the core of our squad no matter who is the manager, i.e. break out of the cycle of managers assembling their own squads, which then have to be dismantled and reassembled once the manager fails and is sacked.

Since Fox is now on his third manager, I think the buck for the quality and adequacy of the squad definitely stops with him.

I wonder if Sherwood, being a relatively new and inexperienced manager, allowed himself to be browbeaten into accepting players he didn't really rate? It seems like Garde will maybe be a bit more assertive about who he will accept in the squad. Let's hope so because on the evidence of this season so far, the buying we did in the summer was pretty much a disaster.

Maybe Garde has the benefit of Sherwoods hindsight....its tight knit is football, I'll bet Garde knows all the "warts and all" of Sherwoods short reign.

Well, the quote discussed earlier

there was never any suggestion that we were going to get a player that our manager wasn’t supportive of.

doesn't sound like a straightforward veto to me. It sounds like slippery management-speak blah.

But it's all a question of interpretation.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fox did say a list of alternatives were provided, I bet the rest the rest of that list would be interesting reading if the "committee" decided the players we got were the best options. I wonder who they decided against when they made a list of alternative players

I would imagine the like of Adebayor, Berbatov, Cambiasso, Townsend, Lennon etc were never really on due to wages.

32 minutes ago, KHV said:

I would imagine the like of Adebayor, Berbatov, Cambiasso, Townsend, Lennon etc were never really on due to wages.

Some people might wonder whether, with the club having spent the last few seasons struggling down the wrong end of the table, those type of players (or their agents) might want clauses in deals, such that if we were to go down, they could do one for next to no money. You couldn't really blame them. But from the club's point of view, that would be a continuation of the wastefulness of transfer fees that started under MO'N. Just sayin' like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

... Almstadt has nothing to do with player recruitment. How many times.

He is responsible for handling contracts and scouting reports, so is heavily involved in player recruitment.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Didn't Fox himself say that he had no influence or involvement?

He said he had no direct involvement, whatever that means.

Probably contracts and handling scouting reports whatever that involves?

Edited by KHV

Tom also clarified the role that Hendrik Almstadt plays at the club.  There seems to be some confusion in the press as to what his Sporting Director role entails. Tom explained that he has no responsibility for player acquisitions and that he performs a role here that is very similar to that which he did at Arsenal.  Essentially, Hendrik is there to manage the logistics of the things that support the playing squad.  By way of example, he cited the manager identifying an issue with the medical team.  It would then be Hendrik’s job to look into and resolve that issue. 

From AVFT website.

Logistics of the playing staff.

Edited by StefanAVFC

48 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

From AVFT website.

Logistics of the playing staff.

God knows what that waffle means but I suspect he does have some input in transfers. Sounds like politician mumbo jumbo to add spin 

In my opinion only people that should have a say on the signings should be remi garde and his chosen scouts. Fox, Reilly and that other clown should only do the money side of things. 

Edited by Demitri_C

Â