Tom Fox

Cracker1234

I don't need to know but I just don't have much faith in the words being said when I look at the evidence of the last few years.

Let's see what happens.

Edited by DCJonah

You're not going to get the evidence you require. People at that level aren't going to tell you exactly "how" in a few hundred word conversation with a Guardian journalist because it is not prudent to do so. We have been told what the target and I'm sure we would all rather be "shown" now. Nobody is arguing otherwise.

The modern day obsession with having to know absolutely every minutia of what goes on behind the scenes at a football club is incredibly frustrating to me. 

Do you know I almost agree with you.

But of couple of the early reponses were 'great interview'  and 'theres going be increased investment' 

My initial point was there is nothing in that interview to suggest a significant upturn in our fortunes. TF can talk targets all he likes - unless he does something to hit such targets its all pie in the sky.

Yes I did read that. - But I wouldn't agree with your assumption that it will lead to massivley bigger sponsorhip deals - if we suddenley start announcing ground breaking deals - then I hold up my hands and congratulate TF - but I didn't see any such announcements. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up to much about us being the 9th most watched club in the world. Im sure its true by some measure - but in practice it doesn't mean we will be rubbing shoulders with Bayern any time soon.  [all IMO of course]

I wouldn't go on my assumption either as I've not got any experience in brokering massive sponsorship deals or do I know the going rate but luckily we have a CEO who does and we also have a CCO who was involved in getting deals for the London Olympics so if they assume we can get £10m more per year in sponsorship I tend to believe them! Having those 2 in their positions also shows a change in tact as they are leaders in their field which is far and away from Faulkner!!

Thats the benchmark then - a sponsorship deal worth £10m  per year more  than we currently get ?.  (That would be some feat IMO.....whats everyone else think ?)

If they land such a deal I will applaud very loudly - and happily admit I was wrong. I trust you will do likewise if they don't ?

Edited by blandy

It's not one deal though, it could be loads of deals. Improvements on the pitch and an FA Cup win could do wonders, not to mention European football, but I'm getting ahead of myself. This is Fox's area and while I think the figures are optimistic we will have to wait and see. 

Why does it need to be one solitary sponsorship deal? Unless I am mistaken I don't think either the poster nor Fox suggests that is the idea. 

Even that would be pretty impressive.

What would naming rights to VP fetch per year ?  £3-4m   (I know big figures usually get quoted - but its usually over a long period - per year it isn't that much)

Very interested to see how much and whom tom fox can get to replace Dafabet this summer. Faulkner for all of his purported faults in my view did extremely well given our position to get £8mill and I expect a big increase for next season. What id like to see is a multi year deal rather than the current 2 year cycle. And as tom fix commented on he wants a sponsorship based on aston villa and our history rather than just sponsoring a prem team.

With players leaving, hopefully at least a £4mill increase on our current shirt sponsorship and secondary sponsorship there could be great scope to increase the quality of the squad all within the bull€#|+ FFP rules

If Tom Fox really wants to use our history as a selling point for this club, then something he should seriously consider is going back to this badge...

CERFd3VWYAELbkF.png

I'm sure the majority of villa fans would welcome it too. 

• Like 3

If Tom Fox really wants to use our history as a selling point for this club, then something he should seriously consider is going back to this badge...

CERFd3VWYAELbkF.png

I was told and it may be bollox but it wasn't all about a vanity project for Lerner ( though I'm sure part of it was ) was to do with regaining copyright protection against people producing knock off gear with the club crest on. Arsenal changed the direction of the cannon due to this I seem to recall reading somewhere.

I love the old round badge but I don't mind the new one either, other than the fact it looks like the lion is holding a sparkler. My old housemates used permanent marker to draw a line on all my shirts the bastards.

I love the circular badges. Would prefer we went back to this sooner rather than later. If we did, people will probably start saying we have copied Chelsea though, that's the annoying thing.

Would be great to see some possible designs if anybody has the skills/time - perhaps incorporating elements of our current badge or the one prior. I would do it but I am artistically inept.

I always thought the badge was a Nike thing.

Arsenal simplified their badge under Nike. We simplified our badge under Nike and Everton kicked up a fuss not so long ago because they changed their badge once their kit started getting made by... Nike.

I'd like to see it changed at some point. The current one is really crap to be honest. But I can understand a reluctance due to costs.

I don't really blame Lerner for this though. I think changing the badge wasn't a terrible idea at the time. They just chose the new design in an awful way. They basically just asked for opinions on elements of the badge from the fans, then chucked it all together and whatever came out they went with. 

Shield shape, check.

Lion, check.

Star, check.

Words, check.

Print and DONE

It's as if nobody actually stood back and thought "does this actually look good?"

• Like 2

CERFd3VWYAELbkF.png

You say that. As part of my independent study (submitted only 2 days ago)... only 1 Villa fan out of 10 interviewed said they would want this one back! I would love to have this one back.

I always thought the badge was a Nike thing.

Arsenal simplified their badge under Nike. We simplified our badge under Nike and Everton kicked up a fuss not so long ago because they changed their badge once their kit started getting made by... Nike.

I'd like to see it changed at some point. The current one is really crap to be honest. But I can understand a reluctance due to costs.

I don't really blame Lerner for this though. I think changing the badge wasn't a terrible idea at the time. They just chose the new design in an awful way. They basically just asked for opinions on elements of the badge from the fans, then chucked it all together and whatever came out they went with. 

Shield shape, check.

Lion, check.

Star, check.

Words, check.

Print and DONE

It's as if nobody actually stood back and thought "does this actually look good?"

Its all to do with Americanisation in my opinion... again as similar to above part of my independent study looked at this and how potentially Lerner exploited it for his own sake. The badge is basic and bland, but if you look at a lot of branding thats what it is, like the Red Sox and Yankees badges.

I think the crest should be changed once you win a trophy, that way, you can auto-date it in your memory and the change shows something significant - as well as giving the opportunity to get some really different designs. 

You'll never please everyone with the crest, but at least if we change it every time we win a cup, we could please some different fans.

Â