Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

that's the next problem...

how many teams in the euro league does there need to be before rangers and celtic get an invite? I think the English teams are in for a shock should it happen*, if its a 20 team league then we'd do well to have 4 teams in there, for the likes of spurs and arsenal to get in it would have to be a 30+ two tiered system where they were both in the 2nd tier, im not convinced spurs would ever actually get in to any kind of set up they propose

* disclaimer - it'll never **** happen

Tbh I think it has passed the point of it happening. The Champions League is virtually a European league. Juve, Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern, and the top 4 in England make up the vast majority of global TV audiences. Celtic and Rangers have good support but not that level anymore. Its the same teams that win the leagues every year which is great for the broadcasters as it is predictable who will play who in the Champions League every year, and in turn this can be sold to the Asian market. I can't even remember the last time that Bayern, PSG or Madrid/Barca did not win their leagues and qualify.

The days of thinking that a top outside the top four leagues looks very unlikely despite the heroics of Ajax last season. The thought of a eastern european team being competitive like Steau or Red Star Belgrade is hilarious.  The domestic leagues in Eastern Europe are so weak with no money. Nobody watches them and instead prefer to watch the big foreign leagues.

So really what it in for the broadcasters to essentially cannibalise the top leagues of Europe (not Scotland obviously) to form some sort of super-duper Champions League? It would damage one product and not really improve the other.  

The only other option for the old firm is to form some sort of secondary tier north Atlantic league with Belgium, Holland, Portugal, and maybe Denmark. A equivalent of a PRO-14 league . But I don't think it would generate that much interest outside of these countries so would kind of be pointless.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

You could probably do it with Traore's.   There was that great stat last year when Mali forward Adama Traore scored and then got substituted for another guy called Adama Traore who also scored, and nether of them were the Adama Traore you are probably thinking of, the Spanish guy who used to play for us. 

There are a few African names that crop up a lot. Traore as you say. Also Cisse, Sissokho/Cissokho, Diarra and a few called Camara/Kamara

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

There's a good stat going around about Ross County right now.  As it stands all three of their goalkeepers are called Ross, their record signing is called Ross and their top goalscorer is called Ross.   I'd like to think this is a move towards a policy of only signing people called Ross, much like Athletic Bilbao only sign Basque players. 

But none of their surnames are County :( 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Kemar Roofe joins Rangers

Decent signing

Aye, Gerrard is pulling out all the stops this season..........................he has to topple Smeltic as far as the sevco fans are concerned.

Morelos must be virtually out.

Edited by newhavenhibby

On 04/08/2020 at 11:31, newhavenhibby said:

You wouldn't expect to see any players who would slot into the PL now. ..........especially in a game featuring Ross and Motherwell. The only player who showed was Seedorf when he came on and it was worth the watch for his drag back and then switching weight for the shot. How can Ross attract players of Premier League quality on crowds of 2.5k and at present no fans? They lost some of their better players due to financial cut backs due to covid and can only survive now due to the meagre money coming in from Sky. Having said that................

Normally there would be no way that game would have been shown and it is only because of these special times that Sky are showing 3 games over the weekend as there is no English Football. Scotland would normally only get one or two games which inevitably would include the uglies and one or two crumbe for the rest.

Believe me I have watched many an English Premier League game and been bored to tears........not because of the technical standard but because sides then cancel each other out.

Most top players in the Scottish Premier League have to do it by stepping stones and 2 good examples of this are Robinson who had to go via Hull to Liverpool from Dundee United and Van Dijk who went to Southampton from Celtic before going to Liverpool. Obviously McGinn went straight to Villa but that was to the Championship. Stuart Armstrong used Celtic as his stepping stone from Dundee United before going to Southampton.

You have to take it for what it is and appreciate bits of skill amongst the bombscare moments lol. 

That is not to say that the supporters of Scottish sides are no less passionate and no less pride in their sides and their history than any of the English Premier League sides. 

You need to understand the history of Ross C to appreciate what an achievement it is they are even in the SPL

Thanks! 

Particularly the bit in bold, I have no doubt about that. Probably more passion about their club then most fans of the big clubs. 

I wasn't trying to stain the Scottish Game, I love football at all levels. I will go and watch local, grassroots whenever I can. And try to play sometimes too!!!

I haven't watched much Scottish League outside of Celtic/rangers due to the reason you said. I just always presumed there would be one or two who were clearly above the level in a game. That's not to say it took from me wanting to watch. In england, if the live game is man city v Watford as en example, something clearly very one sided, I couldn't think of anything worse than watching that. I'd rather watch Hamilton v Inverness. The quality might be lower, but at least it would be a fight.

Is there any players, your opinion, who could come down and do it using us as a stepping stone right now?

• Thanks 1

St Johnstone are my Scottish team. I  know Perthshire quite well. Worth a visit, lovely area. The manager Tommy Wright left in the summer.  He did a great job at a small club, winning the Scottish Cup for them. I  could see him getting maybe a League One  job down south some time.

• Like 1

Theres a lot more to being a success in England let alone the Premier League. A number of talented Scots have headed down South only to fail for a variety of reasons........most importantly they have to have the right work ethic and not be carried away with the large wage increase.

Villa did well with McGinn in so far as that he works and trains hard and has always given 100% to whichever club he has been at whether St Mirren, Hibs and now Villa. He also has strength which many a skillful player has found to be lacking on trying to make the switch. It is a physical game up here but down South it is more subtle in that you need the strength to compete especially in 50 50 balls. Add to that the speed in the Premier League and it now has to be a special player to cope with everything on and off the pitch.

Sometimes players you have watched up here become a success what seems to be out of the blue.  One of these is a player I mentioned before, Andy Robertson, the Liverpool FC left back. Released by Celtic in his teens as he was regarded as being too small he joined the part timers Queens Park to keep fit whilst studying at Uni. Seen by Dundee United , he developed there before his move down South to Hull and the rest is history. He has had to work really hard to get where he is and is now a top left back, for the top team in the toughest League in the World.............watched him a few time for Dundee United and at the time, he looked good but not to the level he has now got..........so not always easy to predict.

Tierney of Celtic always looked class with skill, speed and strength and it was no surprise when Arsenal showed an interest in him......................my only concern was whether he could settle in to London being so far away from home along with his new found wealth but he seems to be doing well.

We have had a number of players who had the talent but their off field antics have stopped them reaching the level they deserved, notably Anthony Stokes, Riordan and to a lesser extent Gary O'Connor ( though I think he was a favourite at SHA 😝)

The player I would keep my eye on is Davd Turnbull of Motherwell...........however he is just trying to return following knee surgery so the jury is out as to whether he will recover 100%...........little like I think Villa are looking at McGinn following his injury because in the last few games of the season he didn't seem completely recovered. Hopefully the break ( no pun intended 🙂 ) will help him further.

7 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

@newhavenhibby, just out of interest how is Ryan Porteous developing?  My wife's family are all mad Hibees and tell me that he is one to watch out for.

Unfortunately last year he suffered a serious knee injury which required surgery. ( In the last game before his surgery, you could see him having to put his own knee back in a couple of times during the game and there is no way he should have been playing!)

He has only had one game back which was last Saturday and to me he didn't look 100% and even showed signs of a slight limp after 40 minutes so the jury has to be out for the time being.

Prior to the injury, apart from being a little reckless at times due to his age, he was  the best  prospect to come out the academy since the days of the mid 2000s ( Scott Brown, Fletcher, Whittaker, Thompson, Stevenson et al) 

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Aberdeen players who failed the corona tests after going to a bar last week should be given huge bans. It was about 7 playera as well, Idiots

Eight players and the statement put out by them yesterday was a further embarrassment to them, the club, the city and Scotland. So much so it was mentioned by Jimmie Krankie in her briefing the other day!

They have another fixture on Wednesday at the moment still 50/50 if that will go ahead or not!

Should have been made to forfeit the game v St Johnstone and give Saints 3 points.........perhaps then players and teams will realise the seriousness of the situation.

Cannot see the game going ahead in Aberdeen on Wednesday.

Idiots.

Hearts used to be my Scottish team... Only because their colours are *kind of* similar to Villas...

but then I moved to and lived in Scotland for a few years and became acquainted with some Rangers fans... so now, I like Rangers!

On 07/08/2020 at 10:19, newhavenhibby said:

The player I would keep my eye on is Davd Turnbull of Motherwell...........however he is just trying to return following knee surgery so the jury is out as to whether he will recover 100%

I agree with you here mate.

He's a player along with Jake Hastie (since returned from Rangers) that myself and @Villan4Life have both suggest on this forum on numerous occasions. Both would be decent signings.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2020 at 10:19, newhavenhibby said:

T

The player I would keep my eye on is Davd Turnbull of Motherwell...........however he is just trying to return following knee surgery so the jury is out as to whether he will recover 100%...........little like I think Villa are looking at McGinn following his injury because in the last few games of the season he didn't seem completely recovered. Hopefully the break ( no pun intended 🙂 ) will help him further.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with you here mate.

He's a player along with Jake Hastie (since returned from Rangers) that myself and @Villan4Life have both suggest on this forum on numerous occasions. Both would be decent signings.

@newhavenhibby

My post from May 2019:-

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Hearts used to be my Scottish team... Only because their colours are *kind of* similar to Villas...

but then I moved to and lived in Scotland for a few years and became acquainted with some Rangers fans... so now, I like Rangers!

Funnily enough I chose Hibs when I came to Edinburgh mainly because Hearts were maroon / claret and didn't want to support a team with colours similar to Villa...........a great decision.

Please accept my condolences with your present affiliation to sevco.😀😝

Edited by newhavenhibby

Â