Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

24 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

33 Signings in 2 seasons there, some like Defoe and Davies on premier league wages too most likely.

He paid 7 million for Ryan Kent, apparently he is quite average for the Scottish league

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

He paid 7 million for Ryan Kent, apparently he is quite average for the Scottish league

He is a good player especially in this league. Unfortunately was injured not long following his official transfer after his loan. He could certainly do a job in the lower half of the English Premier League and the  Championship. SGs links with Liverpool certainly helped landing the deal.

Trouble with both the uglies is that they control most games and so some players ( not saying Ryan does this) can coast through games and not show their true potential.

Edited by newhavenhibby

10 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

He is a good player especially in this league. Unfortunately was injured not long following his official transfer after his loan. He could certainly do a job in the lower half of the English Premier League and the  Championship. SGs links with Liverpool certainly helped landing the deal.

Trouble with both the uglies is that they control most games and so some players ( not saying Ryan does this) can coast through games and not show their true potential.

The narrow way they play doesn't suit him either, he is more a natural winger. The £7m is a huge amount to a club like them who are heading towards financial ruin again but to be fair pre covid it was probably a sound investment as the chances were he'd appreciate in value. Hard to guage what sort of money they will get for Morelos and the likes now. I'd say market values will really only hold up for top level players but I could be wrong.

Agreed they don't create as much from wide positions as they should and Kent more often than not is not playing in his best position.  Even when Barker was fit he wasn't really used.

At the time of signing Kent they were still in with a good chance of overhauling Smeltic and were still on for a run in Europe..........so worth a punt and as you say would have upped his sell on value.

As for the tyke Morelos, we will have to wait and see if anyone comes in for him now. There was interest for him at the turn of the year but the rumours were something went on behind the scenes with SG, and his form certainly dropped off in the last couple of months. However, post covid.......who knows?

Sevco are a little like Hearts......constant speculation about their finances but somehow mystery benefactors etc keep them going.  Afterall, they have just paid 3 mil for Hagi so cannot be too worried.

Edited by newhavenhibby

• 2 months later...

Watching Celtic v Hamilton, it really is men against boys. 

Celtic 4 - 1 up already and Hamilton only scored from a wicked deflection. 

When will Celtic and Rangers realise that their dominance is a hindrance to the league and in turn to them. 

It's just not healthy to have 2 teams so much stronger than everyone else.  It's why the league is so very poor.  They should be working to help their competition get stronger. It seems counter intuitive but it will help the league be more competitive and more interesting. 

I know people think the PL is skewed but the top 4 have and does shift.  More than 4 teams have had dominant periods in the last 20 years. But we don't have any teams whose sole idea of success would be to win a point off either of the top 2.

Its not just the crowds and season ticket sales but any meagre money the TV and broadcasting companies send to Scotland, the vast proportion goes to the uglies. However in comparison to the rest of the Leagues  this in turn is peanuts.......hence the uglies are no longer a European force. There is nothing better than seeing them get gubbed by a euro team and put in their place. Many fans up here would love to see them join some sort of Euro League and disappear from our game, however the money they bring to the smaller clubs is invaluable..........often 3/4 s of the ground would be sold to visiting uglies and they do pay to buy any half decent player from other clubs..........afterall they wanted McGinn until Villa came in and they will probably be buying our best player , Boyle, in the next few weeks!

I agree in the Premier League the dominance has altered in the last 20 years but I feel  since Leicester won the league there are signs that 2 teams are going to be dominant from now on. Most Leagues in europe are dominated by one or perhaps two sides. This does not mean to say that our only idea of success is to take a point from the uglies......far from it. We get more of a high by beating Hearts than by beating or drawing with sevco or smeltic. We view that as a bonus point as we would not expect much else. 

Would Villas idea of success this season be taking a point off Liverpool or Man City or staying up?.........................success comes in many forms and is relative to the league you play in........ whether a "mickey mouse" or "a money awash, half and half scarf, day tripper, corporate type".

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Hornso said:

Was happy to see Hibs got off to a winning start with 'Aussie' Martin Boyle bagging a brace.

How long will we hang on to him though with smeltic sniffing around ☹️    He'll just sit on the bench for long periods but will quadruple his salary at least..........and he'll have Rogic to talk to about all things down under 🙃

If / when he does go, it would be good to see another club come in for him as Villa did with McGinn as the smellies were holding us to ransom over the fee. 

• Sad 1

I watched the Ross county v Motherwell game last night. It really is a horrible standard. Fair play to Ross county, they worked hard and got s battling win. But it wasn't entertaining, it wasn't fun to watch. Not a good advert at all. 

I'm sure the Scottish fans on here can offer some enlightenment. Is it always this poor? Or was last night just a particularly poor game. Didn't see 1 player I thought 'id give them a go in the PL'

There's a good stat going around about Ross County right now.  As it stands all three of their goalkeepers are called Ross, their record signing is called Ross and their top goalscorer is called Ross.   I'd like to think this is a move towards a policy of only signing people called Ross, much like Athletic Bilbao only sign Basque players. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

There's a good stat going around about Ross County right now.  As it stands all three of their goalkeepers are called Ross, their record signing is called Ross and their top goalscorer is called Ross.   I'd like to think this is a move towards a policy of only signing people called Ross, much like Athletic Bilbao only sign Basque players. 

And like our policy the one year to sign only people called Jordan.

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I know an unemployed Scottish International forward called Ross who is available 

He might make them change that policy 😉

• Like 1

You wouldn't expect to see any players who would slot into the PL now. ..........especially in a game featuring Ross and Motherwell. The only player who showed was Seedorf when he came on and it was worth the watch for his drag back and then switching weight for the shot. How can Ross attract players of Premier League quality on crowds of 2.5k and at present no fans? They lost some of their better players due to financial cut backs due to covid and can only survive now due to the meagre money coming in from Sky. Having said that................

Normally there would be no way that game would have been shown and it is only because of these special times that Sky are showing 3 games over the weekend as there is no English Football. Scotland would normally only get one or two games which inevitably would include the uglies and one or two crumbe for the rest.

Believe me I have watched many an English Premier League game and been bored to tears........not because of the technical standard but because sides then cancel each other out.

Most top players in the Scottish Premier League have to do it by stepping stones and 2 good examples of this are Robinson who had to go via Hull to Liverpool from Dundee United and Van Dijk who went to Southampton from Celtic before going to Liverpool. Obviously McGinn went straight to Villa but that was to the Championship. Stuart Armstrong used Celtic as his stepping stone from Dundee United before going to Southampton.

You have to take it for what it is and appreciate bits of skill amongst the bombscare moments lol. 

That is not to say that the supporters of Scottish sides are no less passionate and no less pride in their sides and their history than any of the English Premier League sides. 

You need to understand the history of Ross C to appreciate what an achievement it is they are even in the SPL

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

That is not to say that the supporters of Scottish sides are no less passionate and no less pride in their sides and their history than any of the Premier League sides. 

talksport were trying to get the old with 5 years of PL money celtic and rangers would win the league and be the biggest clubs in world football nonsense going again this morning

the passion and pride is definitely there

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

talksport were trying to get the old with 5 years of PL money celtic and rangers would win the league and be the biggest clubs in world football nonsense going again this morning

the passion and pride is definitely there

They do have a point I am afraid to say. They have everything to compete ( grounds, massive fan base etc)  except the money which comes into the English Premier League added to better Euro runs . As I have said before they have the lions share up here but it is peanuts compared to clubs from the Premier League and top flight Europe. They are not able to go out and buy the same calibre of player as in the Premier League. ( look at the prize money and broadcasting payments Liverpool and Man City got compared to Celtic.)

Having said that I would not wish cities in England having to suffer the invasion of Uglies fans every weekend...........though it may make some of the prawn eating hospitality brigade choke a bit  😀

They are hoping for some sort of Euro League I feel.

Edited by newhavenhibby

4 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

They are hoping for some sort of Euro League I feel.

that's the next problem...

how many teams in the euro league does there need to be before rangers and celtic get an invite? I think the English teams are in for a shock should it happen*, if its a 20 team league then we'd do well to have 4 teams in there, for the likes of spurs and arsenal to get in it would have to be a 30+ two tiered system where they were both in the 2nd tier, im not convinced spurs would ever actually get in to any kind of set up they propose

* disclaimer - it'll never **** happen

Agreed........................unfortunately they would need to have been in the English Premier League first.........................and I would not wish that on the anyone. ( not that they would even get an invite to join the Premier League despite what the Uglies think)

Edited by newhavenhibby

47 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Tried to do that on an FM save once, with Smiths. Edited a lower league team and called them Smith FC. It was hard, nay, impossible to get a full squad of 16.

You could probably do it with Traore's.   There was that great stat last year when Mali forward Adama Traore scored and then got substituted for another guy called Adama Traore who also scored, and nether of them were the Adama Traore you are probably thinking of, the Spanish guy who used to play for us. 

Â