Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Probably doesn't help when he's constantly throwing them under the bus and absolving himself of any blame for poor results. I wouldn't perform for a manager who's like that.

Did the same with us and we knew then the time had come for him to go. Fortunately the caretakers job came up at Celtic.

Writing was on the wall some months ago that his mental health was suffering again so the Board should have acted immediately.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What happened in their league Cup?! 

8th beat 5th in the table, st Johnstone vs livingstone 

Would be good if ours was the same tbf

Outside the top two, there is little to choose between any of the rest. The teams that beat the uglies didn't make it to the final......Ross and St Mirren. 

Pleased for St Johnstone, despite beating us in the semi, as it is the first time they have won the League Cup.

They are now the second most successful side in Scotland in the last 10 years behind Celtic having won the Scottish Cup in 2014.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all. He's a 'Celtic man' which is good enough for lots of their fans, and nice and cheap for the board

He will not be going to Celtic.

Paul Lambert on the fear that means Celtic manager job is NOT for him as he fires warning to new boss.

Paul Lambert has ruled himself out of the running for the Celtic job - insisting he doesn’t want to tarnish his reputation with the Hoops support.

The former Hoops midfielder is currently manager at Ipswich Town and has been touted as an outsider to replace his former team mate Neil Lennon.

But Lambert says he’s not interested in any romantic return to Celtic - and warned whoever does replace Lennon there’ll be no honeymoon period in Paradise.

"I played for eight years, but I left the Glasgow scene a long time ago,” he told Sky Sports News.

"That's not my life anymore. I don't want to tarnish the good feelings I have with the Celtic fans.

We won a hell of a lot, stopping Rangers winning Ten In A Row in 1998. That was an incredible achievement.

Maybe I'll go back as a fan, that's all I can say."

Lambert also warned incoming chief executive Dominic McKay - who will take over from Peter Lawwell in July - that he has to hit the ground running just like any new boss.

Lambert said: “You have to realise, if you finish second, you fail. The new chief executive needs to look at the bigger picture.

“You have to get trophies back and get the pendulum swinging back your way.

"Nine years of dominance - they have to get that back. If he thinks he will get one or two years of grace, he won't get it. And rightly so, he shouldn't get it.

"It doesn't matter who the next Celtic manager is.

"Whether it's a foreign manager or a British guy, you're hoping whoever goes in there understands how to win every week. Not to finish second. Not to be runners-up in cup finals.

The criticism would come heavily, and so it should."

"It's a worldwide club. It's not a small club where you might get away with losing three and drawing two. You have to win every single week. That's on whoever comes in

That is why it won't be Paul Lambert.

Celtic fans will not accept a 2-0 defeat in a league game for the excuse to be "We played well and deserved to win, but we go again".

They will be calling for his head before the next game and Lambert knows it. (Not that he was likely to be considered for the job anyway).

Pity, but of course he is correct.

Anybody who gets the job has to hit the ground running and start the winning ways ASAP.

The smeltic support will stand for nothing less as there is no place for being second in their eyes.

I know the Scottish league isn't brilliant, but Celtic can obviously do far better. The manager before last is currently managing a team in the top 4 of the Premier League, they don't need a guy who's been flailing around in mid-table League One.

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know the Scottish league isn't brilliant, but Celtic can obviously do far better. The manager before last is currently managing a team in the top 4 of the Premier League, they don't need a guy who's been flailing around in mid-table League One.

Rodgers seems to be the exception though. Lennon, Ronny Deila and Tony Mowbray were hardly budget busters. The Celtic board are so tight they make Doug Ellis look like Abramovich. Pretty sure they bid about a million for McGinn who wanted to join them

Just now, Zatman said:

Rodgers seems to be the exception though. Lennon, Ronny Deila and Tony Mowbray were hardly budget busters. The Celtic board are so tight they make Doug Ellis look like Abramovich. Pretty sure they bid about a million for McGinn who wanted to join them

Fair point, but even Tony Mowbray is several steps up the ladder from Lambert at this point. I can't argue about Ronny Deila :crylaugh:

• Like 1

Tony Mowbray, in my opinion, is the best manager we have had in the last 20 years. ( if not longer)  He brought an exciting attacking brand of football to Easter Road we haven't seen since he left.

He couldn't take Celtic to the heights that their support bayed for so didn't last long. He has shown since ( and at West Brom before) he is a good manager but won't ever set the World on fire............however is much better that Paul Lambert who struggles at whichever club he goes to.

As Zatman says, Brendan Rodgers is the best they have had for a while but did come with a top pedigree having almost won the League title with Liverpool...........oh that Gerrard slip🤣

They will do well to get that type of manager now without splashing the cash not only on wages but also players they would want to bring in.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

John Collins is perhaps correct that they need a director of football first.

Incidentally he was the second best manager we had this century...........up untill  some players revolted that he worked them too hard. 😧

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Rangers now Champions after Celtic draw with Dundee.

A massive well done to Stevie G and his team.

Well done to them. Congratulations 

Unfortunately your going to see alot of fools out celebrating and ignoring government advice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well done to them. Congratulations 

Unfortunately your going to see alot of fools out celebrating and ignoring government advice. 

Unfortunately you will see a small minority ignoring the rules. There was a small gathering outside Ibrox yesterday apparantly.

We understand what it means to the fans but it doesn't excuse breaching Covid rules.

As for the league, you wonder what Celtic will do now in terms of how they recover and come back from this and stop Rangers making it 2 in a row next season.

They have big issues still to be resolved from the board level down to manager and the players.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Aye, congratulations to sevco on their first trophy. I know they won the Tunnocks Caramel wafer cup 4 or 5 years ago but I don't count that. 🤣

Police will have to make an example or its going to be carnage especially at Celtic Park next week .........already kicking off in Glasgow centre and trains from Edinburgh to Glasgow "rammed".

Yesterday would have been the perfect opportunity to do so but allowed them to gather ( especially after they gathered outside the Tony Macaroni Stadium last Wednesday) and do what they wanted and also sevco allowed their players to go and celebrate with them from inside the ground.  Flew a light airplane over Tannadice today with a suitable "55" banner behind it ( whats that all about 😉) but I expect the Police didn't investigate where it came from and whether any travel restrictions had been breached..........then there are the flares they threw into the ground today.............. 

However any team winning the League are likely to see some fans gather ..........as long as it is a one off........however in this case ...??

As I have said before, especially this season, the SPLeague is more sh*t than usual as we are still third having played the most dire football I have seen from Hibs in many many years, Lennon and Celtic lost their toys out the pram early on,  but I suppose they will celebrate as though they are World Club champions.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Â