Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

4 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

I bet he couldn't believe his luck when he got the villa job, still fries my brain how Lerner and Faulkner thought it was a good appointment. I don't think any ex villa manager has ever had a pop at the club either really.

I doubt he will manage again tbh

I agree Scot manager is basically a semi-retirement gig so long as you don't get poleaxed by everyone you'll be in the job a good while. Sadly Eck couldn't even manage that

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nah, Scottish football is more of an old boy's club than the **** Freemason's; if he wants another job someone or other will give it to him before long. 

He has probably made enough from his last few dismissals that only a Celtic or Rangers could probably afford him or be worth his while

Football Management as it is some Championship club might fancy giving him a job though

43 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To this day, the McLeish appointment is still one of the most bizarre things to ever happen to us.

I genuinely struggle to remember anything from that period of our history.  It must have been some sort of coping mechanism to remove all memory from my brain of that shite.

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I genuinely struggle to remember anything from that period of our history.  It must have been some sort of coping mechanism to remove all memory from my brain of that shite.

He signed Alan Hutton, Nzogbia, 5 year deal for Shay Given and blink and you miss him Jermaine Jenas. Cracking business

His season was summed up by Ireland winning player of the year 😂

• Haha 1

On 18/04/2019 at 16:13, Jimzk5 said:

I bet he couldn't believe his luck when he got the villa job, still fries my brain how Lerner and Faulkner thought it was a good appointment. I don't think any ex villa manager has ever had a pop at the club either really.

I doubt he will manage again tbh

It's the most bizarre decision the club have made in my time as a fan to be honest.

We've had worse managers (just about) but they all made some semblance of sense at the time.

But McLeish?! That made literally no sense. There were times when he was manager that I would catch a glimpse of him in the dug out and sort of suddenly remember he was our manager and just think "how the **** has this happened?"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's the most bizarre decision the club have made in my time as a fan to be honest.

We've had worse managers (just about) but they all made some semblance of sense at the time.

But McLeish?! That made literally no sense. There were times when he was manager that I would catch a glimpse of him in the dug out and sort of suddenly remember he was our manager and just think "how the **** has this happened?"

From what I remember we had agreed to hire McLaren and the fans protested and at this time a lot wanted Mark Hughes but not sure how true that Randy didnt like how he left Fulham. So I think Randy said **** you over the protest and gave us McLeish

What a brilliant selection of managers in hindsight 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That 12 month period between O'Neill walking out hiring McLeish was embarrassing

Hired houllier and he couldn't start the job cus he still worked for the French FA

Sack him because he had health issues that were common when he joined costing us the thick end of 5 million quiz iirc.

Chased Martinez who turned us down, went for McLaren and the board backed out because of the fans response, turn down Hughes cus he had walked out on Fulham and Lerner didnt like that and ended up going for McLeish despite further fan backlash and protests. 

31 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

That 12 month period between O'Neill walking out hiring McLeish was embarrassing

Hired houllier and he couldn't start the job cus he still worked for the French FA

Sack him because he had health issues that were common when he joined costing us the thick end of 5 million quiz iirc.

Chased Martinez who turned us down, went for McLaren and the board backed out because of the fans response, turn down Hughes cus he had walked out on Fulham and Lerner didnt like that and ended up going for McLeish despite further fan backlash and protests. 

Some fans wanted Ancelotti, others were talked down to as we could do better

Good times 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some fans wanted Ancelotti, others were talked down to as we could do better

Good times 😂

The ancelotti thing though started when thetrees (the poster on here who tracked where Lerner's plane was flying too and from) said that his plane was in corsica, people put 2 and 2 together and guessed it was ancelotti. He actually was in corsica but he was there meeting McLeish while he was on holiday. 😂

The houllier team is a bit of a what could have been. They started to look like they had an actual system and gameplan probably for the last time until now. Sadly an old fella with heart problems is not a good fit for villa manager!

20 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

The ancelotti thing though started when thetrees (the poster on here who tracked where Lerner's plane was flying too and from) said that his plane was in corsica, people put 2 and 2 together and guessed it was ancelotti. He actually was in corsica but he was there meeting McLeish while he was on holiday. 😂

Wasn’t the Corsica thing when he went to meet Houllier who was living there at the time?

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn’t the Corsica thing when he went to meet Houllier who was living there at the time?

Definitely McLeish 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-peter-pannu-reacts-156097.amp

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

The houllier team is a bit of a what could have been. They started to look like they had an actual system and gameplan probably for the last time until now. Sadly an old fella with heart problems is not a good fit for villa manager!

Off topic but Ive said many times houllier new what our problems were and wanted them out, being dunne Collins and gabby. 

6 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Off topic but Ive said many times houllier new what our problems were and wanted them out, being dunne Collins and gabby. 

Didnt Gabby get one of his last contracts under Houllier. I think he saw the issues but dealt with them wrong

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didnt Gabby get one of his last contracts under Houllier. I think he saw the issues but dealt with them wrong

Nope.  That was Tom Fox's reign of terror. Paul Lambert was manager.  Gabby scored the winner at Anfield about four games into the new season so Fox offered him a four year contract. 

13 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Nope.  That was Tom Fox's reign of terror. Paul Lambert was manager.  Gabby scored the winner at Anfield about four games into the new season so Fox offered him a four year contract. 

I remember that one, Hutton and Lambert got deals too. But I think Houllier gave him a deal too

Â