Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

On 24/04/2020 at 15:38, Zatman said:

I think its mainly the idiotic IRA fans that do, rest of Celtic fans just have a chip on there shoulder 

I think they feel because they were 1st British team to win the European Cup that it gets very little attention 

I wouldn't class Celtic as a British team ;) 

Reason i'm lurking in on this page is i've been watching a lot of old football videos on Youtube recently. The Rangers team under Souness was some team wasn't it. Back when Scottish teams could be the equal of English teams. Also, Mark Walters was a superb player for Rangers. Never saw him at Villa (too young), but he seemed like a right talent. 

Yeah Walters was great, I just about remember him at Villa.

He got some unbelievable racist abuse in Scotland, he moved to play in Europe as English clubs were banned.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

He's been to a few of those pre match events at Villa that I have been to. A nice fella. Its a shame for him that his time at Villa was in the period between the European Cup side and the Taylor led recovery later on. He was talking about that he managed to play in some of the biggest derbies in Britain, Villa- Blues, Rangers-Celtic, Liverpool-Everton, and er Bristol City-Bristol Rovers. By all accounts he probably played his best football up in Glasgow.

• 2 weeks later...

Celtic granted the title but it will put a big asterix beside any claims to a 10 in a row should they do it next season.

Have to have a degree of sympathy for Hearts being relegated too and it will be interesting to see what happens in the courts.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

2 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Celtic granted the title but it will put a big asterix beside any claims to a 10 in a row should they do it next season.

Neil Lennon has described it as his best title win

Is there another league in the world which is so uncompetitive as the spl? Out of 123 seasons 105 have been won by celtic or rangers, and no other team has won the league since 1985

Edited by Jimzk5

15 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Is there another league in the world which is so uncompetitive as the spl? Out of 123 seasons 105 have been won by celtic or rangers, and no other team has won the league since 1985

Ukraine possibly with Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk have pretty much shared success there since the break up of the USSR.

Maybe Portuguese football with the big 3 completely dominating but hard to think of many other comparable ones in Europe. More leagues are going like that now though with PSG, Juventus and Bayern having some unprecedented success.

• Like 1

I work with the Birmingham branch of the DUP so they'll probably all be raging at work tomorrow.  They'll never admit it of course but I'll bet deep down they'll be fairly happy it's ended like this as now they can simply refuse to recognise the 10 in a row if Celtic do win the league next season.  

4 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Only five clubs have ever won the Portuguese league.  It's a three horse race but it breaks down like this: 

Benfica (37) 

Porto (28)

Sporting (18)

Boavista (1)

Belenenses (1)

Boavista won it in 2000/01

Belenenses won it in 1945/46

The Serbian/Yugoslav league is a Red Star/Partizan duopoly going back 40 years. Hadjuk Split were competitive in the 70s when it was still Yugoslavia.

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

The Serbian/Yugoslav league is a Red Star/Partizan duopoly going back 40 years. Hadjuk Split were competitive in the 70s when it was still Yugoslavia.

little Obilic broke it up in the 90s but they were no Leicester City fairytale as owned by Arkan they threatened opposition and referees with violence 

Turkey as well is dominated by the big 3. Won 56 of the 63 titles. 

Trabzonspor having won 6 of the other 7. Bursapor the other in 2010. 

Possibly a new name this season if they get around to finishing it. 

Agreed, all leagues are heading towards domination by 2 or 3 clubs due to the disparity in money.  ( agreed also that Scotland was one of the first leagues to show this type of dominance.)

Many of these "big clubs" will be urging the return to playing games ASAP, so they can once again get the obscene payments from the TV and satellite channels so they can get back on the gravy train. ( the uglies are not on board this train which is why they now don't do well in Europe etc. Big fish up here but small fry in the big leagues as they don't have the income to compete........this is why they keep muting the possibility of joining the  English Premier League who rightly don't want them.

Back to up here , the SPFL have not covered themselves in glory ( once again) and I believe the season should have been null and voided. ( as in Holland)  Tough on the likes of Dundee United and of course Smeltic, but who cares about them.🙂   What with allegations of unjust votes and incompetence the governing body needs a good shake up ........but since they pander to 2 clubs only and don't give a damn about the fans up here this is unlikely to happen. I wonder if they would have called the season if sevco were neck and neck with smeltic? Its all about the uglies up here.

Turning to Hearts, this was totally unfair and from a personal viewpoint we lose the derby games now if things stand. As you know with SHA , fans look forward to these games, they are a great money spinner and there is no feeling like turning them over , especially on their own patch. 

Still a chance of reconstruction with Queen Anne which should be presented on Friday. This may become necessary if clubs fold due to the pandemic and they may well still be in the top flight if this happens.

Anyway off now to prepare for the anniversary game tomorrow .......have my halftime draw tickets, a virtual pie and bovril and booked in for the pitch invasion at 4.45 🙃  Happy 21st May.

Stay safe you villains.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Turkey as well is dominated by the big 3. Won 56 of the 63 titles. 

Trabzonspor having won 6 of the other 7. Bursapor the other in 2010. 

Possibly a new name this season if they get around to finishing it. 

Funded by Erdogan and state money. I would rather Başakşehir didn't win it. Trabzon deserve it. Beautiful part of the world and wonderful kit colours.

• Like 1

Looking at a smiling Neil Lennon today holding the trophy...how much professional satisfaction can one take in managing Celtic year after year? What a bore.

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

Looking at a smiling Neil Lennon today holding the trophy...how much professional satisfaction can one take in managing Celtic year after year? What a bore.

More pressure this year with sevco starting to claw their way back into contention but agreed in the last few years, with their money, it has been easy for them with Glasgow Rangers going bust and then awaiting Sevco to get fully established. I would have said , before this pandemic, he may not win it next year.......but now, who knows?

Up to this point the Smellies fans would have accepted nothing less, so probably more relief than anything else. 😀  Will have to see how the face of football up here ( and in England) changes after the effects of the pandemic?...........hopefully in one way there will be positive changes and move away from this pandering to 2 bigoted clubs.

As has been said earlier in the thread many Leagues, especially in Europe, are being dominated by 2 or 3 clubs and the English Premier League will be no different in time..........once they can shake off that pesky Leicester City. 

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Manager under the most pressure im Europe next season is probably Gerrard, 10 in a row be a disaster for Rangers. He has spent a lot of money for Scottish league as well

Has done a pretty average job so far 

Edited by Zatman

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Manager under the most pressure im Europe next season is probably Gerrard, 10 in a row be a disaster for Rangers. He has spent a lot of money for Scottish league as well

Should have stuck with Warburton. He had a better % win percentage with the Gers than Stevie Me so far.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Strange appointment to begin with. 

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Should have stuck with Warburton. He had a better % win percentage with the Gers than Stevie Me so far.

That was down to his magic hat.....😀

Â