Is Britain still great?

NurembergVillan

I don't know, even the poor in this country have it better than the majority of the world, what with social housing, the benefit system and the NHS they can benefit from. Obviously there are exceptions etc

I think if Britain is to make a claim of greatness it would probably have to be rather better than it is.

Here's a list which hardly invites the description 'great'.

Education 26th in the world

GDP per capita 27th (lower than Ireland)

Defence spending 6th

Healthcare quality 1st

Pension worst at £5500 (Swedes can get £25k earnings related, Spain £26k)

Exports 19th

Inequality second worst in Europe to Portugal.

Fuel poverty in Europe - worst.

Child well-being league (Europe) 24th out of 29

Child poverty - amongst the worst (46% in Birmingham Ladywood) 21st out of 34 nations.

External debt 2nd in the world ($10,090,000,000,000 - $160,158 per capita) 4x gdp

Most expensive rail travel - 1st in Europe

Football fifa ranking - England 20th, Scotland 27th, Wales 44th, Northern Ireland 89th

Not so great then. :( 

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

I think if Britain is to make a claim of greatness it would probably have to be rather better than it is.

Apologies if someone has already explained this in the thread.  It's called Great Britain to distinguish from Lesser Britain, the area now known as Brittany.

It's not a claim of "greatness".

Apologies if someone has already explained this in the thread.  It's called Great Britain to distinguish from Lesser Britain, the area now known as Brittany.

It's not a claim of "greatness".

They have, several times!

• Like 1

A few have mentioned wanting a thread about it, it gets alluded to in all manner of topics (I even mentioned our society as being a key factor as to why the English national team is so bad) and now its time to get it out in the open - just how "great" is Britain?

I've lived abroad for about half of my post-University life, in Germany and Amsterdam. After being back in England for 6 years, on Sunday I'm off again - to live in Canada. Wherever I go I'm always very proud to be British. Certainly as a designer I find that it can regularly carry a certain amount of cachet.

But I often find myself frustrated at the state of Britain now. Maybe I'm getting old, but swathes of British youth baffle me - celebrity culture seemingly being the only valid type, and a lack of morals across all generations being amplified by those in their late teens and early twenties. I've given up on our government, and their opponents. There isn't enough variety in what they stand for or how they execute their policies. It's too often self-serving rhetoric.

Social media has many positives but has also caused many issues amongst the youth of our nation. There is no middle ground any more. No average. Everything is extreme - amazing or shit - or it gets filtered out. If you want likes or comments you can't just be average. The country has a drink (and drug) problem too. I've never been anywhere else that I've seen the level of street brawls and debauchery that you get in towns and cities across the UK on a Friday and Saturday night. It's like the vikings make a weekly return.

BUT - there is still so much to be proud of. There is REAL culture here - music, art, design, literature. It's amazing. Architecture across the land is varied and beautiful. Our landscapes and countryside are unique and breathtaking. The diversity of our society and the influences this brings is likely unparalleled in any other country as small as ours.

We are a people of courage, and honour, and creativity. In times of recession we give millions of pounds to charity, when we host sporting events they are gold standard examples, and our entrepreneurial spirit is perhaps the only reason we have any sort of economy apart from banking.

We are a nation of philandering, coke-addled scumbags who cheat on our wives and girlfriends and fight strangers in the street. We make millionaires out of people like Dappy, Joey Essex and seemingly any 18 year old with a full-sleeve tattoo and the ability to kick a football in a straight line. We awarded Kerry Katona with Mom of the Year, and "Britain First" have 300k "likes" on Facebook, making them the most prominent political entity in British social media.

We are amazing, yet crap. Genius, yet confused. We are "literally" Great Britain.

Over to you...

Very interesting.

Your post is astonishingly similar to how I would describe my home country Switzerland.

Globalisation at its finest/worst.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

A few have mentioned wanting a thread about it, it gets alluded to in all manner of topics (I even mentioned our society as being a key factor as to why the English national team is so bad) and now its time to get it out in the open - just how "great" is Britain?

I've lived abroad for about half of my post-University life, in Germany and Amsterdam. After being back in England for 6 years, on Sunday I'm off again - to live in Canada. Wherever I go I'm always very proud to be British. Certainly as a designer I find that it can regularly carry a certain amount of cachet.

But I often find myself frustrated at the state of Britain now. Maybe I'm getting old, but swathes of British youth baffle me - celebrity culture seemingly being the only valid type, and a lack of morals across all generations being amplified by those in their late teens and early twenties. I've given up on our government, and their opponents. There isn't enough variety in what they stand for or how they execute their policies. It's too often self-serving rhetoric.

Social media has many positives but has also caused many issues amongst the youth of our nation. There is no middle ground any more. No average. Everything is extreme - amazing or shit - or it gets filtered out. If you want likes or comments you can't just be average. The country has a drink (and drug) problem too. I've never been anywhere else that I've seen the level of street brawls and debauchery that you get in towns and cities across the UK on a Friday and Saturday night. It's like the vikings make a weekly return.

BUT - there is still so much to be proud of. There is REAL culture here - music, art, design, literature. It's amazing. Architecture across the land is varied and beautiful. Our landscapes and countryside are unique and breathtaking. The diversity of our society and the influences this brings is likely unparalleled in any other country as small as ours.

We are a people of courage, and honour, and creativity. In times of recession we give millions of pounds to charity, when we host sporting events they are gold standard examples, and our entrepreneurial spirit is perhaps the only reason we have any sort of economy apart from banking.

We are a nation of philandering, coke-addled scumbags who cheat on our wives and girlfriends and fight strangers in the street. We make millionaires out of people like Dappy, Joey Essex and seemingly any 18 year old with a full-sleeve tattoo and the ability to kick a football in a straight line. We awarded Kerry Katona with Mom of the Year, and "Britain First" have 300k "likes" on Facebook, making them the most prominent political entity in British social media.

We are amazing, yet crap. Genius, yet confused. We are "literally" Great Britain.

Over to you...

Very interesting.

Your post is astonishingly similar to how I would describe my home country Switzerland.

Globalisation at its finest/worst.

Switzerland offers a fine demonstration that the things we in the UK blame our membership of the EC for, are actually the result of the demands of globalised capitalism.

The same frantic passion for importing cheap labour and with the same results - alienated second-generation immigrants becoming terrorists and the most highly educated unemployed in Europe.

Switzerland is definitely not what it used to be and their enthusiasm for tinkering with a society which looked like it actually worked has been staggering.

And all to get a little bit richer, when they were already the richest in the world.

Depends what angle you look at it from i guess. We are currently funding (alongside the US) Israel's war crimes against Palestine. But then we do have great healthcare? It is pretty much impossible to summarize this topic because there are so many pro's and con's, good and bad, left and right. What we do know is their are some fantastically scummy people in this country. But there are plenty of great people. 

My biggest fear as a kid was stray dogs.They were everywhere and I got chased many times. At least we don't have stray dogs anymore.

Really makes you appreciate Al Qaeda. At least they don't give you rabies.

• Like 1

a few other nations on a very quick random sample appear to think so

The place I've been staying had French, Belgian and German families also staying there. They were enjoying the weather, the scenery, the quiet and also the incredible range of activities including coasteering and kayaking in spectacular water where nothing is going to eat you.

You can get decent wine and decent coffee in the most far flung of places and the road system is easy and safe to navigate.

Also, the sedantry lifestyle of many means that a beach that is a one mile walk including a little climbing is almost deserted all day.

If you have the money, it's pretty good. If you don't have the money, there are a great many far worse places.

• Like 1

What's that Socrates quote from thousands of years ago?

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

There are a number of problems with this - chief amongst them is that Socrates would have been very unlikely (if the writings of Plato, Xenepohon and a few others are to be taken as a true representation of him) to have criticized the 'youth' in that way.

Still, that's the youth of today: seeing summat plastered on facebook and taking it as gospel. ;)

Â